SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rant-Why I can't do replica wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 10:51 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lemme reiterate, I AM NOT KNOCKING REPLICAS. And I am sure not convinced of a strength difference between authentic wheels and replicas either. I will say that my WORK wheels died HARD. The crater that bent them needed a ladder to get out of-just couldn't avoid it. And even then, they didn't crack. There is just a presence to authentics that makes me happy when looking at them. There are arguments to both sides certainly.
Old 07-20-15, 11:28 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I sold a set of Work Eurolines and bought Varrstoens. It wasn't my smartest day on the planet. However, at the time I was just bored of the aging design and wanted a change. So with the sale of my 15 year old Eurolines, I was able to buy brand new reps with brand new tires. When you turn 35 years old, have a mortgage, marriage, kids, real bills, etc, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm just happy to turn on my car and drive it on the weekends.
Ha,
I considered selling my Weds Kranze Cerberus so I could purchase Varrstoens. The Weds need a rebuild for the proper fitment and the Varrstoens were the perfect size. I almost did but they sold the Varrstoens.

Still sitting on expensive wheels that need even more money thrown at them today. They are a bit too thin for me at 9" rear.
Old 07-20-15, 05:07 PM
Flogrown
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run what you want. Not to sound like a dbag but I'm a wheel ***** and run authentic wheels.
Old 07-20-15, 05:27 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand spending 350 a wheel or 400 max but some just get out of control with price just to get lighter, 18lbs or less is the goal if u upgrade
Old 07-20-15, 05:43 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I sold a set of Work Eurolines and bought Varrstoens. It wasn't my smartest day on the planet. However, at the time I was just bored of the aging design and wanted a change. So with the sale of my 15 year old Eurolines, I was able to buy brand new reps with brand new tires. When you turn 35 years old, have a mortgage, marriage, kids, real bills, etc, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm just happy to turn on my car and drive it on the weekends.
for real. i agree with this dude 100%. everyone has their reasons for buying the parts they do even if other think its silly. personally ill always buy authentic. but thats just me. just dont try to make them look like something theyre not.
Old 07-20-15, 07:11 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
When you come outside and your car's sitting on bricks you'll regret not getting the reps

Seriously though I'd love a set of SSR SP1's, but Varrstoen ES6's are in my future. I can't justify that much money on wheels. I search craigslist every week, and plenty of people are selling sets of the best brands with bends and breaks so I don't see what all the fuss is about being "authentic".
Hahaha, funny thing is that I had BBS LM reps that I bought used with BBS center caps, really nice reps, and they got stolen 3 months ago, so now I have 350Z wheels. Yes, my car was left on bricks, so the loss was much less then if they were authentic.

I still have XXR's on my SC400 that i dont really take care of, and they hold up wonderful. Great quality, so what exactly am I losing by not having "authentic wheels"? I really don't get it.

Originally Posted by mikef
I would rather have better tires over authentic wheels, it would drive me nuts everytime i hit a pothole in colorado with authentics that is why I have a good set of nockoffs and focus my time on everything else.
Amen to this! People will be wheel *****s about "real wheels" and then put some Nankangs or other Chinese tires on them.... The tires are one of the most important things on a car.
Old 07-20-15, 08:52 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flogrown
Run what you want. Not to sound like a dbag but I'm a wheel ***** and run authentic wheels.
Dw, I fall in the same boat.

The justification for fake wheels if they crack is valid to a degree, but there's actually a benefit on buying multi piece wheels called REBARRELING!!!!! My friend cracked his inner barrel cuz he runs a 225 on a 11" wheel and like -6 degrees (he's into hellaflush) and hit a big pothole. Cost of new inner barrel was around $200 and I rebuilt the wheel for him so about the same price as a knocker.

As far as "real" single piece wheels I frankly don't deal with them cuz of the benefits of 3 piece wheels and not being able to "easily repair" single piece wheels in a manner that's not going to likely lead to further issues.

And as far as cost to buy wheels, they can be very expensive for "real wheels" but if you have patience you can get a good deal.
Bought my VSXX 18" F8.5 +28 R9.5 +44 with new "cheap" tires on them for $800,
My work VSMX 18" F9.5+28 R10.5+25 for $800 no tires.
OZ futuras 16"/17" stagger setup for my old 240sx for $800 with new tires.

and those are just the ones I bought... I've seen countless deals but havne't purchased them because there's only 3 wheels that I want right now.

Now just time to wait for people to say there's only good deals in california
Old 07-20-15, 11:10 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think at the end of the day not everyone can purchase a set of 3pc rim and to even try to justify spending 3k on a set of rims that can potentially be stolen is a little hard to swallow. and its even worst if your car is a DD. i personally think for a DD car a set of reps is ok if thats all you can afford. the car is 20 years old not everyone is able to baby their car and keep it show conditions. if you can hats off to you if you cant oh well. maybe next time.
Old 07-21-15, 10:15 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

There are 5 types of aluminum wheels you can buy:

1. Gravity cast - Aluminum is poured into a mold and left to cool until it is solid then it is cooled in water.
2. Low pressure cast - cast but the aluminum is poured into the mold under pressure and then sealed.
3. Flow-forming (rotary forged) - Low pressure cast with a forged barrel
4. Machine forging (billet) - Wheel machined from a solid block of forged aluminum with a barrel that is flow-formed
5. Mold-form forging - A block of aluminum subjected to high heat and pressure which is first formed into the face and then the barrel. Then the barrel is flow-formed. After this the wheel is subject to high heat in an oven and then rapid cooling. This can happen more than once depending on the brand.

Here's an example of each

1. Gravity cast - the video posted by ISFFUN is an example of this

2. Low pressure cast

3. Flow-formed

4. Machine forging

5. Mold-form forging as done by HRE

5. Mold-form forging as done by RAYS (complex)

The reason I show 2 videos for mold-form forging is because there's the basic way of doing it and more complex ways. HRE cuts the designs out of a forged blank face while RAYS uses forged faces that are shaped into designs in the first part of the mold-form forging process.

Examples of each type of wheel:

1. Gravity cast - Most oem wheels, XXR, basically all "replica" wheel brands.

2. Low pressure cast - Work cast wheels (Emotion, Seeker), higher end OEM wheels

3. Flow-formed - Enkei MAT wheels (RPF1, NT03, PF01 etc)

4. Machine forged - Centerline

5. Mold-form forged - HRE (3pc and monoblock)

5. Mold-form forged [complex] - RAYS forged wheels (Volk TE37, CE28, RE30; Nismo LMGT4)

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 07-21-15 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 10:30 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Pick wheels that fit your needs and your budget.
Old 08-11-15, 05:14 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget this debate, Im too old for this...still riding on OEM wheels and its fine could careless what others think. Eventually I will get wheels, they wont be cheap "knockoffs" and for sure wont be "real" wheels that cost thousands honestly wouldn't even mind riding on Supra TT wheels again. There are plenty of good quality wheels that are not considered "Real wheels"