SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rant-Why I can't do replica wheels

Old 07-18-15, 03:45 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rant-Why I can't do replica wheels

Let me start by saying that this topic could easily be in the clubhouse or car chat forums. But I own an SC4 and this is in direct relation to this model as far as I am concerned....

The story first. I had a beautiful set of 18" Work VS-XX wheels. Fitment and condition were perfect. They were close to full retail but justifiably as they were in new condition. This was my first set of aftermarket wheels. And they were stunning. They gave the car a uniqueness that stockers (of any car) can never pull off. I was in love.
Fast forward a year through using them as dailies-no one warned me that this is a big no-no- between the worst roads imaginable between MD and NYC, a harsh DC winter and brake dust baked on so extremely and consistently that I had to scour the polished aluminum finish off just to remove the then pitted dust. Add to that the pricing (anywhere from 50 to80% more than their replica counterparts), their specialty builds that get the offsets perfect for your car. But then again you have to get them right, against unlimited and often confusing sizing that takes a lot to make these worthwhile BUT make immediate replacement practically impossible and you sorta become a slave to the novelty of high-end A/M wheels.
I certainly was after bending two and gouging one, I decided to cut my loses and trade them for some TT wheels, used tires and a fair bit of cash. I thought I'd be happy now. But I am not. My car now looks as old to me as it is and I don't gets the gawks that I used to. I am not vain, but when AMGs and Ms and Audi S car owners are looking at you like they wanna drive your car instead of theirs, that is just a bunch of WIN.

But replicas just make sense then. Their build quality has improved greatly, they are indistinguishable from the real ones to a laymen, you still get to express your individuality, you come off as a savvy spendthrift and a bent one can be replaced as a single from pretty much anywhere. So why can't I do it????? I'm certainly not rich and I am not looking forward to the maintenance and worry of riding on them for longer than a summer with another set. And this time I'm looking at some Volk RE30s that I can buy but technically can't afford. And they are more expensive than the Work!!! WTF.

I AM NOT knocking anyone on reps here or anywhere else. I've certainly gotten my share of thread arousal from a proper SC on reps with an aggressive fitment that was just so right it was undeniable. But there is something to be said for authenticity that I cannot and will not deny myself.....on the SC. Maybe it won't matter with my next car. But it does on this one. And with age and depreciation, the right/next set may very well be more than the car is worth.

Doesn't matter. Gotta do it.
Old 07-18-15, 05:40 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing that drives me crazy about this debate is that the wheels are often made in the same factory, if not with the same materials, but at least with the same brand of metal forming tools.

Just watch this, you can see the process. Someone who is convinced that there's a huge difference between replica and OEM has to realize that there aren't 50,000 factories that make wheels. There are a handful in the world and they're often made using similar processes, so they really aren't that different. It's likely just a different metal mixture which makes a generic more soft than another "name brand".

Go learn about metal mixtures and how these are made...it's just element mixtures, not some "magic" that a name brand has.
Old 07-18-15, 06:04 PM
MackOnDeez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just a deek measuring contest.

some will try to support the argument that the fact "real/authentic wheels" w/ safety/strong vs. weak/ cheap vs quality made.

knockoffs = watch over them more / how balanced the wheel is / quality
authentics = dont have to worry about the problems of knockoffs. (but that's why its $$$)

you have people who care so much about LEGIT. MUCH REAL. DAMN AUTHENTIC. he spent $$$ on them.
just flash factor in my eyes. (also depends on owners using purpose)

some people just cant afford, but it shows bad character when people bash others who just simply like the look? but cant throw enough chips for the real thing.

"hurts the fact you guys have some what similar interest" all for what? hurts the culture...

i do get your point on having authentic wheels, thats the DREAM!

but i will never knock anyone who has reps as they are just working with what they got & i will always respect that.

i rock reps on my SC. i do plan to get authentic volks in the future.

my e30 has BBS RS Supers. (authentic)
my 528i has BBS LM's (authentic)

ive had my share of authentic wheels as well so i know what you mean by the feeling of awe yeah baby.
that feeling of rolling around like a boss, to a degree that is. (must never get too big headed at all)

in the end. to answer you question! YOU CAN. you can do whatever you wanna do! that's the beauty of it!
Old 07-18-15, 09:09 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

To be honest, this debate is a first world problem. And like any other first world problems, it is mostly based on ego and status symbol. A lot of people keep tying themselves in that kind of thinking and create false reasoning just to justify there wants into a need.

When I built a daily driver SC with my first one, I used as much OEM parts as possible with the maintenance, and used as less "branded" as possible in aftermarket. Why? Because **** happens, thats why. But I received just as much head turns and thumbs up from people as I do with my now SC which is setup with the best, regardless of the price, aftermarket parts.

When people talk about the quality of "authentic" wheels to replicas, a lot of authentic owners are talking out of their ***. Regardless of wether it is authentic or not, if you drive like ****, you will mess those wheels up.

No offense btw, just my honest opinion.
Old 07-18-15, 11:40 PM
MackOnDeez
Driver

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
To be honest, this debate is a first world problem. And like any other first world problems, it is mostly based on ego and status symbol. A lot of people keep tying themselves in that kind of thinking and create false reasoning just to justify there wants into a need.

When I built a daily driver SC with my first one, I used as much OEM parts as possible with the maintenance, and used as less "branded" as possible in aftermarket. Why? Because **** happens, thats why. But I received just as much head turns and thumbs up from people as I do with my now SC which is setup with the best, regardless of the price, aftermarket parts.

When people talk about the quality of "authentic" wheels to replicas, a lot of authentic owners are talking out of their ***. Regardless of wether it is authentic or not, if you drive like ****, you will mess those wheels up.

No offense btw, just my honest opinion.
couldnt agree more
Old 07-19-15, 08:34 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a set of good rep wheels ESP if you are daily driving your SC, I've had both Authentic and Reps in the past on my other cars (3 sets of Volks, Asanti, Work, STR, ADR), and they all will bend badly if you don't watch what you are doing or pay attention to the road conditions.

I currently have some SSR SP3's on my SC but I rarely drive it.

If I was daily driving it I'd have some good reps on for sure since I drive 120 miles a day round trip to work (Pacoima) and back home (Huntington Beach). Thank goodness it's only 4 days a week!

It all depends on personal taste and what you like in the end. Don't worry about what others think because honestly who gives a rats *** what other think! I sure don't!

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 07-19-15 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-19-15, 10:10 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally I feel the quality level of rep wheels have gone up significantly....

They biggest factory for me was 4 rep wheels for the price of 1 authentic wheel.....

I just cant justify spending 800-1000 on one wheel.....but that being said I do plan on buying a set of work meister in the near future....as a nice summer set.....

I know a lot of people that use replica wheels on the track and havent heard of any issues.....

If you got the money for authentic wheels go for it......itd be scared to drive on them.....with my ****ty Pittsburgh roads.....that are always under construction
Old 07-19-15, 11:58 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you come outside and your car's sitting on bricks you'll regret not getting the reps

Seriously though I'd love a set of SSR SP1's, but Varrstoen ES6's are in my future. I can't justify that much money on wheels. I search craigslist every week, and plenty of people are selling sets of the best brands with bends and breaks so I don't see what all the fuss is about being "authentic".
Old 07-19-15, 12:41 PM
Ditoe
Driver School Candidate

I don't mind people rocking reps as long as they don't try to add the stickers to make them seem authentic. I always preferred going with authentic wheels. If I can't afford it I rather wait. But everyone is different
Old 07-19-15, 01:52 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, Other peoples purchases are not for others to "mind". Stickers or no stickers. As my Mom used to say "You ain't got one nickel in that quarter Baby".

;-)
Old 07-19-15, 03:07 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couldnt give a ****
my rims cost me $270 a piece shipped to my door. I cracked 2 over the winter and just bought replacements without having to agonize over it, the world keeps turning whether they're reps or authentic anyone who looks too hard at stuff like that is a little ridiculous.
Old 07-19-15, 03:44 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would rather have better tires over authentic wheels, it would drive me nuts everytime i hit a pothole in colorado with authentics

that is why I have a good set of nockoffs and focus my time on everything else.
Old 07-19-15, 03:50 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I've never owned replica wheels, but I'm certainly not against them either. Once I get a new daily driver I will probably run XXR's or one of the other good replica wheel brands. I daily drove my SC for a while on SSR Professor SP1's and I was so paranoid about leaving my car outside at work or when I went shopping due to how much attention they got. I eventually put on my OEM LS430 wheels and currently use those when I have to daily drive my SC.

Having flashy wheels is nice and all, but it gets old swerving away from pot holes and worrying about people trying to steal my wheels. I currently daily drive my LS430 on custom 20 inch Work Wheels and it's been terrible since our roads have gotten so much worse these past few years and I work on the shady side of town.

From what I've seen from the high end 3-piece JDM wheels is that they bend just as easy as any cheap wheels if you hit a pothole hard enough or have really low profile tires. I used to always see beat up Works and a lot of the rare old school wheels for sale here on Club Lexus and noticed how I rarely see beat up replica wheels for sale. On top of that, it's cheap and easy to replace the replica wheels in most case, and in some cases you can have a new wheel within a week. If I ever bend my custom Work Wheels or my Leon Hardiritts I have to wait a few months for a new wheel to come in from Japan. Some wheels can take close to six months to be made in Japan and get shipped to the U.S. I could get new XXR's or Varrstoens in under a week.

Having seen so many people destroy nice wheels in general over the years has led me to recommend replica wheels to the younger guys just starting out in the car scene or for those with a specific budget for their cars. As long as the driver is happy, run whatever kind of wheel that will fit your personal needs.
Old 07-19-15, 04:55 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all about what you want to buy. I love my REP wheels but I will never buy knock off sneakers aka (BANG BANGS)
Old 07-20-15, 10:28 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold a set of Work Eurolines and bought Varrstoens. It wasn't my smartest day on the planet. However, at the time I was just bored of the aging design and wanted a change. So with the sale of my 15 year old Eurolines, I was able to buy brand new reps with brand new tires. When you turn 35 years old, have a mortgage, marriage, kids, real bills, etc, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm just happy to turn on my car and drive it on the weekends.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rant-Why I can't do replica wheels