SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm NOT the best chef(baking headlights)

Old 07-14-15, 08:59 PM
HuninHune
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm NOT the best chef(baking headlights)

Terrible intro post...

Baking my SCs headlights and forgot about this lens... New plan, aftermarket headlights!

Anyone know of decent aftermarket lights? looking into these http://www.dashzracing.com/92-99-lex...005a-ccfl.html does anyone have them who could show me a decent pic of them on their car?
Old 07-14-15, 10:17 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Ouch that sucks... do a search for ebay headlights and you'll probably find a few posts. If you like to live dangerously, you can try baking them again and swap the lens over although it's not a direct fit.
Old 07-15-15, 07:58 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i really don't know why people tell eachother to use an oven to open headlights/taillights

USE A HEAT GUN
Old 07-15-15, 09:45 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
i really don't know why people tell eachother to use an oven to open headlights/taillights

USE A HEAT GUN
Why buy a heat gun when you already got an oven!

But seriously though, the op is in California and SC headlights are at every pick and pull if you want to get another oem light. And the aftermarket headlights although having clear lenses, are known to haze rather quickly.
Old 07-15-15, 09:52 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Depending o the color of your car the chrome ones can look decent or look out of place.

I personally only like how they look with black ones on black cars, and the chrome ones on DWP cars. But that's just me
Old 07-15-15, 10:04 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks man.

If you're tossi g them in the oven its best to take your time and heat them slowly. Before I bought my heat gun I'd turn the oven to 220 and then turn the oven off and let my headlights sit in that 10 minutes at a time while I slowly worked at wedging them apart. I usually had to cycle them two or three times, but I was too scared of ruining my Supermade lenses.

If I were you I'd find some OEM lenses. The only good aftermarket headlights cost over a G from clearcorners. I haven't heard very good things about the projectors, seal, or build quality on the eBay lights.
Old 07-15-15, 06:12 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by HuninHune
Terrible intro post...

Baking my SCs headlights and forgot about this lens... New plan, aftermarket headlights!

Anyone know of decent aftermarket lights? looking into these http://www.dashzracing.com/92-99-lex...005a-ccfl.html does anyone have them who could show me a decent pic of them on their car?
I don't know where you are in CA, but if you're local to Orange County I have an extra passenger headlight lens you can have for free. Local pick up only though.

Originally Posted by eknine9
That sucks man.

If you're tossi g them in the oven its best to take your time and heat them slowly. Before I bought my heat gun I'd turn the oven to 220 and then turn the oven off and let my headlights sit in that 10 minutes at a time while I slowly worked at wedging them apart. I usually had to cycle them two or three times, but I was too scared of ruining my Supermade lenses.

If I were you I'd find some OEM lenses. The only good aftermarket headlights cost over a G from clearcorners. I haven't heard very good things about the projectors, seal, or build quality on the eBay lights.
I usually remove all the clips and screws and put the headlight in the oven at 180 degrees for 5 minutes at a time. Remove, pry and if its still too tough back in the oven. I've found that prying on the fender side of the headlights with the two studs is the easiest. Once you're able to break the initial seal it just rips a part easily.
Old 07-16-15, 03:46 AM
HuninHune
Driver School Candidate

Yea, i hit the pick your parts up today... took going to 3 before i found an SC that still had the headlights in it but i got a replacement.

Anyone from OC know what pick your parts would have the best selection of lexus? I've had trouble finding parts for both my LS and my SC at the ones I've gone to.
Old 07-17-15, 02:41 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3L4jzz31
Why buy a heat gun when you already got an oven!

But seriously though, the op is in California and SC headlights are at every pick and pull if you want to get another oem light. And the aftermarket headlights although having clear lenses, are known to haze rather quickly.
you can rent one from autozone for free
Old 07-17-15, 03:14 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
you can rent one from autozone for free
I personally already have a heat gun, the first part of my statement was said in a joking manner... hence the
Old 07-17-15, 04:52 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Ouch man!! So that what it looks like when its burnt!
I'm not a fan of that method, unless I'm working on a spare set

I can see jokes coming already
Old 07-17-15, 11:54 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm NOT the best chef(baking headlights)

If you know what you're doing then the oven route is fine. No condensation
Attached Thumbnails I'm NOT the best chef(baking headlights)-screenshot_2015-07-18-02-51-21.png   I'm NOT the best chef(baking headlights)-screenshot_2015-07-18-02-51-30.png  
Old 07-18-15, 07:36 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

The oven method is tricky. I've seen a lot of headlights melt like that. Mine came out fine when I tried it, but I stood there watching it like a hawk.

I would recommend a heat gun too. The oven method is too risky.
Old 07-18-15, 07:37 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

The melted lenses look like the icing on a cinnamon roll.
Old 07-19-15, 06:36 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3L4jzz31
Depending o the color of your car the chrome ones can look decent or look out of place.

I personally only like how they look with black ones on black cars, and the chrome ones on DWP cars. But that's just me

I agree, I've seen these on ebay. They may look good on black SC's, but I had my OEM ones refinished and clear coated they still don't look like glass but they are close

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm NOT the best chef(baking headlights)