SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP: auto vs 5 speed tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 01:33 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default HELP: auto vs 5 speed tensioner

Well, I read all about changing the bearings on the tensioner pulley, (I have a 93 5 spd).
With a new bearing in hand, I decided to use a press to change it, I thought it was metal but it exploded, turns out this is made of plastic and the bearing is held in the plastic pulley, cannot be replaced..
Later I find supra auto vs 6 speed also has this difference.. The m/t 2JZ pulley is plastic and has a little lip on the back end. I think the lip is to prevent belt slipping off, but it was easier to make pulley like this with plastic.

Now what.. the pulley measures about 95mm which is the same as auto as far as I know.
The autozone / dayco part can't fit the stock cone washers, is 100mm, and have to use small washers shim it out. the bearing area, I am not sure about this idea.

Anyway, do you think I can try to source a used pulley from auto SC and go ahead and install the bearing? Or does anyone have decent luck with the dayco part.

my bolt holding the pulley is actually a nut, the stud comes out of the tensioner and has factory threadlocker on it, both has sides conical washers. Bearing I.D. is same as the new bearing I was going to use.
Attached Thumbnails HELP: auto vs 5 speed tensioner-pulley.jpg  
Old 07-08-15, 07:47 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Ordered this one for $10

Looks a lot like a 2jz metal pulley
But made by febest

Old 07-10-15, 10:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I had the bearing replaced in one my other SC's tensioners before I found the bearing at a bearing shop and took it to a auto shop to have it pressed in, don't remember it breaking or being fragile, was a simple in and out. looks like they might not have clamped it down properly or used to much pressure, its not that weak of a part.

I would probalby just replace the whole tenisioner these days though, cause they are spring loaded so if its old enough to have a worn bearing the spring is probably getting a little weak also. there are marks on the side to check for proper tension with the belt on. see if its in spec if it isn't then its not worth doing this really. if its in spec then yeah its just a bearing it can be replaced and the one with the metal housing will probably hold up better (but more weight).

Last edited by Ali SC3; 07-10-15 at 10:36 AM.