SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AEM tuner in SO CAL NEEDED!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 03:40 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEM tuner in SO CAL NEEDED!

Looking for a competent tuner in so cal. Someone who is knowledgeable with The 1uz... Hopefully. Time has come to Get my 1uzfe single turbo/r154 Lexus tuned on AEM v2. 1mzfe denso COP conversion, need to consult tuner before I buy injectors. Holset H1C turbo.

I have contacted a few shops and they say we don't have a start up file for the 1uzfe. The way I feel is if I'm going to spend money with your company for AEM box, injectors and tune, the least you can do is FIND ME a non-vvti start up file. However I feel like that shop acts like they are better then my project. Money is money right?

But I would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions, or can point me in the right direction of the right shop/person to set up and tune my lex. Thanks guys.

Ps I can tow my car where ever
Old 06-29-15, 09:29 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

What region of SoCal are you in?

I haven't had firsthand experience with them yet but I like what I've seen from FSR Motorsports. They don't just work exclusively on JZ cars and I know they are familiar with AEM engine computers. They certainly aren't the only ones around but I don't know of anyone else to recommend, sorry.

It sounds like a great project car. Good luck!
Old 06-30-15, 08:55 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

I have contacted fsr, and they said they don't have access to a 1uz start up file..... Are they really that hard to obtain? Am I asking too much to assume a tuner can locate a start file for me?

Ive reached out to kaizen motorsports, church automotive, bisimoto engineering, and I'm waiting for their response.
Old 07-08-15, 01:03 PM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is currently @ Kaizen Motorsports. If you stop by there, look for the purple drank Lexus! Jose @ Kaizen normally only works on JZ engines, but I'm more than confident that he can sit down and create a base map for you for your 1UZ as he is very familiar with the AEM standalones.
Old 07-08-15, 03:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

there isn't a basemap for the 1uz offered but they can be found by asking people who have them, I dont have one but many on lextreme do. you can also put one together after reading about it.

this thread has about all you need to know to take a supra cal file and turn it into a v8 cal file.
wire up the extra 2 injectors, but do note that on 92-94 sc400 harness they are setup to be batch fire so there are only 4 injector drivers but 8 injectors total and they fire off in pair, you can just leave the 4 wires like stock and setup the aem ems to run batch injection it works fine. so figure out what you have, and use the thread below to figure out the numbers to put in the ems, then setup all the stuff.

or go on lextreme and PM some of the people in there and hope they are sill on the interwebs.
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12196

there was a thread somewhere else that also talked about using different numbers if you rewire etc... there are a few ways to go about it.

quote from above thread
I'm writing this to help out guys that are doing COP and sequential injector conversions with AEM ECU's.

On AEM ECU's, the injectors can be wired to the injector outputs in any order you want as the firing order is fully configurable in software. Same thing goes for ignition although in a wastedspark setup, the coils that are 360 crank degrees apart must be wired to the same output.

The way it works is that the ECU just keeps count of the crank teeth and fires the inj/coil when it gets to the output's tooth value set in the inj/ign phasing options. The option "Ignition Sync" and Injector Phase" options adjust overall base timing in relation to TDC #1 firing. These are also in "teeth" with smaller values meaning more advance and larger values meaning more retard,

For example, the 1UZ has 24 crank teeth so 24 teeth is one cycle. (for later model engines with the 36-2 crank wheel, the EMS only counts the 12 teeth that are even spaced so you still have 24 per cycle) For V8 sequential, the fuel and ign teeth should be space out every 24/8=3 teeth.

So for sequential injectors wired per cyl number you'd have:

fuel tooth 1 = 0 teeth
fuel tooth 2 = 21 teeth
fuel tooth 3 = 9 teeth
fuel tooth 4 = 6 teeth
fuel tooth 5 = 15 teeth
fuel tooth 6 = 12 teeth
fuel tooth 7 = 18 teeth
fuel tooth 8 = 3 teeth

So, if you follow the count, you get 1-8-4-3-6-7-2.

If you wired the injectors in the firing order inj 1 to cyl 1, inj 2 to cyl 8, etc... than you fuel teeth will be 0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21

On the eariler 1UZ's that are batch injection off four injector outputs (like my '91 SC400) you must change the option "Fuel Teeth" from 24 to 12 to tell the ECU to restart the injector count every 12 crank teeth or one engine rotation. You'd then use 0,3,6 & 9 for your fuel teeth and setup your firing order. (you also must check box the "Eng Cycle = 1 Rev" so the ECU know that 12 teeth is one engine rotation and not one engine cycle. (RPM would other wise read 1/2 actual)

Ignition is the same way with one little trick to it. On the first gen ECU's there are physically only 5 coil outputs but there are 10 outputs in the software. Coils 6-10 are aliases of coils 1-5 so when the tooth count for Coil 1 or Coil 6 comes up it will fire the coil 1 output, 2 & 7 will fire coil 2 output, etc... It is done this way so that the ECU can trim timing for each cylinder independantly even if they are on the same coil output. On the 2nd gen boxes have 8 coil outputs but still have the aliasing but have them as Coil 1 & Coil 1B which makes things a bit easier. Alternatively, you could change the option "Spark Teeth" from 24 to 12 and leave coils 6-10 off. and then set your firing order but you lose the independent cyl ignition trims.

For 1UZ's that still have the stock distributors (like my '91 SC400) You'll need to change "Spark Teeth" from 24 to 6 so that it will fire one output every 180 crank degrees. Using coils 1 & 2, you tooth values would be 0 & 3.

Now, if you were running a 6 cylinider, like a 2JZ, the spacing on the teeth values will change because you still have 24 teeth per cycle but 6 cylinders, so 24/6=4 and your values would be 0,4,8,12,16,20.

The big thing to remember is that what is important is the tooth value spacing. On a 1UZ you could use values of 1.5,4.5,7.5,10.5,13.5,16.5,19.5,22.5 and it would still work as they are still spaced out 3 teeth apart. (90 degrees)

Ok, so it kinda complicated to setup, so why in the F did AEM do it that way? it's because not all engines are even fire - Dodge Viper, some Buick V6's, Harley V-Twin, etc... So, to accommodate an odd fire engine, you can just change the tooth numbers so they are not evenly spaced. Some ECU's cannot even run odd fire engines and most of the other ones that do, need special software to be setup for specific engine. This way they don't have to write any special software and a user that understands how it works can just set it up on their own.

For example, let's look at the Viper. It's basically two 5 cylinders joined at the hip with an alternating 54/90 degree firing interval. (that's why they sound so funny)

So, in crank degrees, it fires as follows:

144 (+90)
198 (+54)
252 (+90)
342 (+54)
432 (+90)
486 (+54)
576 (+90)
630 (+54)
- plus another 90 degrees gets you back to 720.

So, let's do some math here. The Viper has 10 teeth per cycle which is 72 crank degrees per one tooth. Therefore out injector tooth numbers would be as follows:

0/72 is undefined but we'll say 0
54/72 = 0.75
144/72 = 2

You'd still have to assign these values to the correct injector output but I think you get the idea. You can check the AEM startup calibration for the Viper and see these same values.
Old 07-13-15, 08:10 AM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Thanks guys! Glad to get a legit response! I talked to cribbj on lextreme and he hooked me up with a v8 cal file for the early 1uz. In conjunction with the information I've got in here I'm sure I can get this rolling! My budget isn't the biggest. So trying to go v2 if possible. But some shops refuse to tune v2. Pro efi and infinity....ONLY.

Is anyone familiar with a clutch setup for a 3sgte that will hold 650tq ishhhh? No money for a twin disc. :-/