SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Off-Center Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 08:07 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Off-Center Steering Wheel

Even after a couple of alignments, new matching tires, I find that my steering is still off-center.

If I turn significantly to the left (i.e. a couple of turns, full or almost-full lock), and return to center, I find that 11:55 is now the new "center" where the wheels are straight.

If I turn significantly to the right and return to center, 12:05 is now the neutral point.

I installed new poly bushings prior to my last alignment and the rack should be secure, but maybe some lateral movement there could be causing this? My other thought is bent tie rods or a bad rack (internals) itself. Does anyone have similar experiences?

I took some video of the rack doing full lock either way. Does the rack look like it moves too much?
Old 06-14-15, 08:35 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When did the problem start? Or has it always been a problem?
Old 06-14-15, 08:49 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eknine9
When did the problem start? Or has it always been a problem?
Always been a problem but it feels a lot worse since installing the poly bushings. Although maybe they made it more noticeable.
Old 06-14-15, 09:19 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

could be front lower control arm bushings. happened to my SC. try to move the LCA with a pry bar while the car is in the air
Old 06-15-15, 07:14 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you taken the steering wheel off and reset it? There's a little round tab and yellow instructions behind the steering wheel on the column that must be spun around a couple of times to get the wheel on-center. But it involves pulling out the airbag and wheel.

Go somewhere where you can't kill anybody (lol) - like an empty parking lot where you can drive/track straight for a bit and try it to line it up without securing it with the center nut so you can pull the wheel off and test a few times.

But get it done right in a few tries or else your airbag light will come on...and stay on. And will need to be reset.
Old 06-15-15, 07:35 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kbb
Have you taken the steering wheel off and reset it? There's a little round tab and yellow instructions behind the steering wheel on the column that must be spun around a couple of times to get the wheel on-center. But it involves pulling out the airbag and wheel.

Go somewhere where you can't kill anybody (lol) - like an empty parking lot where you can drive/track straight for a bit and try it to line it up without securing it with the center nut so you can pull the wheel off and test a few times.

But get it done right in a few tries or else your airbag light will come on...and stay on. And will need to be reset.
Since my off-center centerpoint changes after turning each direction, would this help?
Old 06-15-15, 12:20 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Don't know. I had the same problem and it ended up being a loose LCA bolt (also caused a bad shimmy). That got fixed. But it has come back again after a power steering hose replacement and subsequent flush. Hoping another alignment will straighten it up again.

But try that. The good thing about resetting the wheel is that it doesn't cost any money and you can do it easily yourself. Just don't punch yourself in the face!
Old 06-15-15, 04:34 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
Don't know. I had the same problem and it ended up being a loose LCA bolt (also caused a bad shimmy). That got fixed. But it has come back again after a power steering hose replacement and subsequent flush. Hoping another alignment will straighten it up again.

But try that. The good thing about resetting the wheel is that it doesn't cost any money and you can do it easily yourself. Just don't punch yourself in the face!
Was that shimmy only at a slow down or braking moment or shake all the time?
Old 06-15-15, 04:49 PM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Was that shimmy only at a slow down or braking moment or shake all the time?
Above 60 mph. But that was a combination of things

Bent rim (unable to see visually)
Alignment needed
OE-from-92 shocks with no rebounding capability left
And whatever loosened because of the constant the constant, wrong input and stress to the body and components

Issues with multiple causes are tough to figure out.
Old 06-16-15, 04:18 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kbb
Above 60 mph. But that was a combination of things

Bent rim (unable to see visually)
Alignment needed
OE-from-92 shocks with no rebounding capability left
And whatever loosened because of the constant the constant, wrong input and stress to the body and components

Issues with multiple causes are tough to figure out.
Luckily I don't think I have any of those. No weird vibrations and the only time the steering has a mind of its own is during excess road cambering.
Old 06-16-15, 12:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you can clearly see the rack move some, which is not right.
I Am not positive but sometimes the large poly round bushing that hugs around the rack on passenger side (shown at the beginning of the video) does not tend to clamp down as tight as the original bushing that was in there. I have noticed similar on my car after doing poly bushings but never bothered to figure it out, but when I installed those I noticed that the large bushing with the slit in it for sliding over the rack did not bolt down as tight as the original bushing.

still make sure you torqued the bolts on the smaller bushings on the drivers side well, the ones you get from the bottom through the crossmember deal those should be tight as to hold it left and right also.
Old 06-17-15, 08:18 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you can clearly see the rack move some, which is not right.
I Am not positive but sometimes the large poly round bushing that hugs around the rack on passenger side (shown at the beginning of the video) does not tend to clamp down as tight as the original bushing that was in there. I have noticed similar on my car after doing poly bushings but never bothered to figure it out, but when I installed those I noticed that the large bushing with the slit in it for sliding over the rack did not bolt down as tight as the original bushing.

still make sure you torqued the bolts on the smaller bushings on the drivers side well, the ones you get from the bottom through the crossmember deal those should be tight as to hold it left and right also.
I'll have to check the torque specs and use my wrench and see what's up. I didn't notice the rack moving in the video, just the car. I'll take another video with the car jacked up.
Old 06-17-15, 09:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

keep your eyes on the edge of the bushing around 9 seconds when the wheel turns and then again at like 12 seconds. happens again at 16 seconds in, just about every full turn you do.
the part of the rack that was under the original bushing will be a lighter color from the rest of the rack, and you can see more of it when you turn one way and less of it when you turn the other.
its not much, but there is a little movement. this kind of movement would not allow the steering wheel to center properly everytime as the rack will sit different in the bushing depending on which way you turned most recently... I think anyways and would suggest looking into it as well as any others mentioned.

Seeing this video makes me want to go change mine out for the solid aluminum bushings. not sure I trust the poly anymore I had some bit of the same feeling on mine.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-17-15 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-18-15, 06:27 AM
GISguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
keep your eyes on the edge of the bushing around 9 seconds when the wheel turns and then again at like 12 seconds. happens again at 16 seconds in, just about every full turn you do.
the part of the rack that was under the original bushing will be a lighter color from the rest of the rack, and you can see more of it when you turn one way and less of it when you turn the other.
its not much, but there is a little movement. this kind of movement would not allow the steering wheel to center properly everytime as the rack will sit different in the bushing depending on which way you turned most recently... I think anyways and would suggest looking into it as well as any others mentioned.

Seeing this video makes me want to go change mine out for the solid aluminum bushings. not sure I trust the poly anymore I had some bit of the same feeling on mine.
Hmm! I'll have my shop take a look and tighten anything. Thanks for the tip! I didn't think that such minute movements were out of the ordinary but it makes sense.
Old 06-18-15, 08:53 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Order new steering rack bushings......

Get solid ones, and replace them, it's kind of a PITA, but trust me. I had this problem with a 98 SC300 I bought awhile ago. I would go to turn, and the steering wheel would reset at a different position. Hella scary to drive.

Quick Reply: Off-Center Steering Wheel