SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

That discontinued air bag sub harness help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 07:04 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That discontinued air bag sub harness help

Soooo it's been a while since I"ve posted but I thought I"d lend a helping hand for all those that are trying to put an is300 wheel or any other factory wheel that requires sub harness 09082-00760.

There's a lot of threads that have people posting that it's discontinued so I'm posting this on it's own thread for all the people to see instead of posting in each individual thread and bumping all of them.

Long story:

I recently was given a free is300 steering wheel w/ air bag and went to go buy the airbag harness. Turns out if you give the part number (09082-00760) the toyota dealership will tell you that it's an invalid part number, are you sure that's the right number, and blah blah blah

So I did a lot of forum searching and it turns out the part has been discontinued through the dealerships parts department and that's where all the information ran cold other than get lucky on ebay or forums.

As it turns out the part is still listed on Toyota's service solution, special solution tools. and you should be able to order it from them over the phone. I'm not sure if this just them running through the stock they have left, OR since the part is made by bosch it's a part that could still be made in the future but just limiting production of the item.

I actually ordered mine online from a site that's basically a third party dealer (vendor) for the toyota special service tools and got it within a week. When I got it the receipt included was actually a Bosch form that listed the company I bought from as a third party.

My best guess is Bosch has them sitting in a warehouse, toyota special service calls in an order and it gets sent from Bosch.

Short Story

Discontinued at toyota, part number no longer reads in system.

Available through Toyota special service tools (call them) or a third party vendor that deals with them.

Parts are made by Bosch and probably sitting in their warehouse 'till toyota special service calls in an order.

Hope that helps all in their search for the sub harness air bag connector.
Old 06-03-15, 04:56 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine a couple months ago brand new from handsontools.com. $35.88 with shipping to NY.

I am wondering if this is the same place that you got yours from? It was the ONLY place that I could find that had it
Old 06-03-15, 07:33 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

^ The SST outfit that 3L4jzz31 is most likely referring to is a different place. Their per unit price is much lower than handsontools.com's, but the shipping price makes it close in the end. I found it myself through a very indirect method, backtracking through some old forum posts elsewhere. I never did find it in google searches, for some reason. Their site maybe is set up to not be spidered?
Old 06-03-15, 10:03 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

I bought mine from handsontools for a bit less than you did LoveSCs but close enough. I decided to leave that part out as they are not a sponsor of the site and didn't want a mod to get disgruntled of advertising a non-sponsor site.

Handsontools is basically just the middle man that calls SST who then calls a bosch warehouse that actually ships the item.
Old 06-03-15, 10:19 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$35 is a rip off. Amayama has it for like $7

http://www.amayama.com/search?q=09082-00760
Old 06-03-15, 10:45 AM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

It's $7 + shipping from Australia (1 day) or japan (5 day) which either way is gonna be air (so not cheap). So then I get the part for $7 w/ $15-30 shipping + any custom fees, in the end it'll be different by a few dollars
Old 06-03-15, 11:01 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3L4jzz31
It's $7 + shipping from Australia (1 day) or japan (5 day) which either way is gonna be air (so not cheap). So then I get the part for $7 w/ $15-30 shipping + any custom fees, in the end it'll be different by a few dollars
But you need it, right?
Old 06-03-15, 11:20 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I did a full write up on steering wheel stuff about a year ago when I did mine. Lists the number to call and everything. End up in the 25-30 dollar range but it's available at least.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...heel-swap.html
Old 06-03-15, 11:40 AM
mjegan
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kbb
But you need it, right?
You could reuse the stock leads and solder them on.
Old 06-03-15, 12:49 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kbb
But you need it, right?
Nope, already have it. I was responding to the previous post that said that it was a ripoff to pay about $30 for the part when it was going to be about $7 + international air shipping (expensive) + custom fees from his listed site
Old 06-03-15, 12:50 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCereal
I did a full write up on steering wheel stuff about a year ago when I did mine. Lists the number to call and everything. End up in the 25-30 dollar range but it's available at least.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...heel-swap.html
Nice write up, when I searched it never came up and I kept just seeing threads ended with people saying it was discontinued so I made this.
Old 06-03-15, 01:00 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Yeah theres so much good useful information on this site it gets buried never to see the light of day again. I'm sure my post was a rehash of a rehash.
Old 06-03-15, 10:53 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3L4jzz31
$15-30 for shipping is a stretch! I remember getting the sub harness from an Toyota dealer in the U.S and it was like $5. It is small enough to be shipped in a regular envelope. No custom duties on items that cheap.

Not arguing, just another option for the community.
Old 06-04-15, 02:20 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Thanks for being precise.

i wondered what would be of ltuned sites responsiveness.
Old 05-04-16, 11:08 AM
MackOnDeez
Driver

up dating this post OTC tools will NOT provide this part if your not outside the UNITED STATES!

ive called today for extra harnesses & they said that toyota restricted this part for sale to US customers!

" something about a safety issue / toyota changed their restrictions "

FYI.

Quick Reply: That discontinued air bag sub harness help