SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Small wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 06:17 PM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small wiring issue

Bought my fiancé a 95 SC400 I'm in the process of restoring for her. Have most of everything done, just have a little wiring issue I would like to take care of. First off the hazards do not work, the turn signal does, however when you push the hazards button the cruise will cut off (like I would assume it should). Ok so far I dug into the signal relay but I looked into it and I assume it is fine since both sides of the turn signals work without any issue.

The second part of the wiring is the intermittent wipers and the wipers coming on when the washer is pushed. The intermittent does not work but the low and high speed do. If I put the lever into intermittent from low the wipers will stop and stay where they are. Now as soon as I turn them off they go back down. I have heard the stalks do go out (guessing the contacts go out in them).

Lastly the outside temp does not work at all. I assumed it was the sensor and replaced it. Now when I did this it did not help a thing. When you push outside temp the clock display just goes blank. No -- and celsius or ferenhight like it should. Its just blank.

I was looking at the schematics for all of these and I was wondering if there were any plugs that all of these tapped into. I realize there are many ecu's (or fancy relay boxes) that control some of these but I cant find any issues. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. All these issues could be their own issues as well. I've just spent a lot of time on it and am getting a tad frustrated.

All fuses have been checked. All relays that are in the kick panel and engine fuse box have been checked. Hazard button has been replaced with one I know works. Ground was checked on the hazard button.

Out of all these problems the outside temp isn't a big deal, but the other two are especially the hazards.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 05-28-15, 06:55 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To help out... throw this one out there... was the car lowered at any point? If it was, check the wiring harness, it'll be inside the front driver wheel well. Many people who went low ended up with the tires chewing the wire and causing several sorts of electrical issues. So far I've only heard of issues that doesn't effect the motor from running, just interior electricals like you described.
Old 05-29-15, 05:26 AM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

When I bought the car I noticed it was lowered but the springs were stock so I put it up on one of our lifts and found the springs were cut. I will look into this! Thank you for the suggestion. Will report back.

I did put it back to normal height so that end is cleared up. lol
Old 05-29-15, 12:26 PM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

Negative on the harness in the wheel well. Pulled the liner out, and I pulled the clips on the harness. No rub marks anywhere and all the wires are completely intact... Any other ideas?
Old 05-29-15, 03:15 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Check your grounds, perhaps? I believe there's a link in the mega-sticky thread.
Old 05-29-15, 04:51 PM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

Looked in the mega sticky thread. Didn't see anything about checking grounds except a grounding issue in the negative cable in the 300's.

I will check my service book when I get time and look over all the grounds.

Update on the hazard issue. When the car is off and you push the hazard button the turn signal does work.
Old 05-29-15, 07:10 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...you-think.html (post #4)
Old 05-30-15, 10:46 AM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I missed it I guess... I spent a good hour looking through the motor and major chassis grounds. They are all good. From the sound of it it looks like the grounding issue described is more severe then mine (If thats the problem). Mine has no trouble starting and nothing pulses as far as pulling power... If that is the issue I'm guessing its one of the white/black grounds that bolt to the chassis inside the cabin. I did look at the one at the fuse panel in the kick panel because its easy to see. Its all intact so I guess its probably behind the dash... Will read into this more this week as far as locating the other grounds.

Any other ideas in the meantime? Anyone have anything similar?
Old 06-01-15, 07:41 PM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

Anyone have anything like this happen? I checked grounds by checking continuity... All are good and grounded how they should be. I am going to start having to replace things. Any ideas on here to begin?
Old 06-13-15, 02:01 PM
Tory4
Driver School Candidate

On the wiper issue I have heard that the stalks can go bad. If my stalk was bad what would the likelihood be that the intermittent wipers be the only part not to work. If I go from low or high speed to int. the wipers just stop. When I go to off the go back down to resting position. Just trying to isolate these issues one at a time.......