SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do we need front bumper support?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 07:13 AM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I got one from what I assume is a 96 model for my 00. The holes didn't quite line up so I dremeled the holes until they lined up properly. Then the rebar lined up just fine and bolted in nicely. I'm not using the Styrofoam support because I couldn't find one sadly.

Old 05-17-15, 04:43 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
I got one from what I assume is a 96 model for my 00. The holes didn't quite line up so I dremeled the holes until they lined up properly. Then the rebar lined up just fine and bolted in nicely. I'm not using the Styrofoam support because I couldn't find one sadly.

How far off were the holes? were they up down or sideways?
Old 05-17-15, 04:45 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Your car may have been in an accident if it doesnt line up

That's what I was thinking although it is a clean title, that side is just bent up, The airbag sensor was missing also.... My main concern is will it effect my alignment or anything important or is it just cosmetic?
Old 05-17-15, 08:04 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SCFactory
How far off were the holes? were they up down or sideways?
All directions really. I think the top holes wanted to move outwards to the top left and top right respectively while the bottom ones shifted sideways. The supports also had a different cutaway, factory stock just had one extra layer of metal straight down the middle while the new one had the same thing but an extra layer across it.
Old 05-17-15, 08:19 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Front and rear bumper supports are quite similar too. Make sure you are not trying to put on a rear support on your front.
Old 05-17-15, 10:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by SCFactory
That's what I was thinking although it is a clean title...
My car has a clean title, but it was in a side collision accident early on. I don't know how extensive the damage was, but I've found broken safety glass under the back seat and mismatched pin striping on the driver's door and quarter panel. Plus, the Lexus records show bodywork done way back when, and there are some indications of dodgy metal work on the quarter panel. Keep in mind, when these cars were new they were $45-50k. It takes a lot of damage to total out a car that valuable, so most of them would have retained clean titles if the accident took place in the car's early days.
Old 05-19-15, 09:46 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t2d2
My car has a clean title, but it was in a side collision accident early on. I don't know how extensive the damage was, but I've found broken safety glass under the back seat and mismatched pin striping on the driver's door and quarter panel. Plus, the Lexus records show bodywork done way back when, and there are some indications of dodgy metal work on the quarter panel. Keep in mind, when these cars were new they were $45-50k. It takes a lot of damage to total out a car that valuable, so most of them would have retained clean titles if the accident took place in the car's early days.

I def fitted a 95 front bumper support to a 95 and it did not fit. I had a chance to look up underneath the car again the other day and the right side is noticeably bent. So to come to a conclusion I don't think leaving that bumper support would cause the car to become bowed or misshapen but it does help in an occurrence of an accident to protect the car and for support. It must have been a fender bender accident before the last owner sold me the vehicle back when the car was worth more like you said. Thanks
Old 05-19-15, 09:55 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

How far off are the holes.....get us some pictures of the end of frame rails....

Here is the only picture I could find of mine...

Also here is a closeup of the end of frame rail...the bolts/studs.....in the end of mine were kinda beat up but I was still able to get mine to fit without any modification to it

Last edited by CatManD3W; 05-19-15 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-24-15, 03:40 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Ok I put the bumper on already the car is running well and didn't notice any alignment issues when I took it for a short drive today... I can try and post some from underneath when i get a good phone