I need an ECU!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-15, 06:58 PM
SC300AZN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an ECU!!!

Hey all,

For the last 2 weeks I have scoured the forums for a potential solution to my problem. I have a 93 SC300 with 237,XXX, auto. The past few months it would randomly drop to a low idle or stall. I adjusted the TPS to compensate a bit, but then it started to lean out without throwing a code, so i set it back to it's previous position. The problem went away for a while.

About 2 weeks ago, I went up north to Flagstaff. Before I left back to Phoenix, I refueled, then drove home with no problems. The next day, I went to start the car and it started misfiring horribly and threw a code 25. I drove it around a bit and it would clear up, then come back. Eventually, the misfire stayed constant. I used MMO, lucas, Heet, and premium gas, in the hopes that it was a bad tank, but it has not cleared up. I have changed wires, plugs, cap, rotor, sea foamed the motor, and checked for vac leaks. The 2 primary O2s were replaced about a year or 2 ago. I cant clean the IAC b/c the previous owner stripped the lower mounting screw. The TPS seems to bee in spec. The car starts to stall when i unplug the MAF, so I assume it works. The code 25 was cleaned up by replacing the exhaust manifold gasket.

Right now, I have the ECU removed and open; it looks like I may have some bad capacitors. So, I'm looking for 1 of 3 things:
1. Someone near the Phoenix area that has a spare ecu that I can test (and potentially buy) to verify that my issues are related to the ecu.
2. Help from someone in the Phoenix area that has rebuilt them before that may have extra capacitors and can possibly help me rebuild mine. Obviously willing to pay for the help/materials.
3. Anything ideas on what I may have overlooked or failed to do.

Also, I keep reading about the fuel pump mod/bypass and I'm wondering if that may help

Thank you!
Old 05-04-15, 07:49 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300AZN
Hey all,

For the last 2 weeks I have scoured the forums for a potential solution to my problem. I have a 93 SC300 with 237,XXX, auto. The past few months it would randomly drop to a low idle or stall. I adjusted the TPS to compensate a bit, but then it started to lean out without throwing a code, so i set it back to it's previous position. The problem went away for a while.

About 2 weeks ago, I went up north to Flagstaff. Before I left back to Phoenix, I refueled, then drove home with no problems. The next day, I went to start the car and it started misfiring horribly and threw a code 25. I drove it around a bit and it would clear up, then come back. Eventually, the misfire stayed constant. I used MMO, lucas, Heet, and premium gas, in the hopes that it was a bad tank, but it has not cleared up. I have changed wires, plugs, cap, rotor, sea foamed the motor, and checked for vac leaks. The 2 primary O2s were replaced about a year or 2 ago. I cant clean the IAC b/c the previous owner stripped the lower mounting screw. The TPS seems to bee in spec. The car starts to stall when i unplug the MAF, so I assume it works. The code 25 was cleaned up by replacing the exhaust manifold gasket.

Right now, I have the ECU removed and open; it looks like I may have some bad capacitors. So, I'm looking for 1 of 3 things:
1. Someone near the Phoenix area that has a spare ecu that I can test (and potentially buy) to verify that my issues are related to the ecu.
2. Help from someone in the Phoenix area that has rebuilt them before that may have extra capacitors and can possibly help me rebuild mine. Obviously willing to pay for the help/materials.
3. Anything ideas on what I may have overlooked or failed to do.

Also, I keep reading about the fuel pump mod/bypass and I'm wondering if that may help

Thank you!
This and this. IACV needs to be cleaned/replaced, get a screw extractor kit or something, or at least checked. It costs a little over $100 to have the ECU rebuilt by Tanin if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-04-15, 08:45 AM
streit84
Driver School Candidate

I have one, pay to ship it from Florida and its yours, the only issue is I dont know if its good, I got it as a spare in a package deal.
Old 05-04-15, 09:52 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a cali OBD1 for sale, all the caps been replaced
Old 05-04-15, 10:08 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

There are a lot of part numbers for our ECUs so model year and transmission type impact the correct replacement options. If your car has been mod'd or engine swapped than different approaches apply.

Best to get it rebuilt; Tanin is a good choice. There are a few others (I used the guy in GA for my spare ECU). However, that takes a week or so and it may not fix all of your issues but will curtail looking there for answers.

Good luck...
Old 05-05-15, 10:37 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

I think this is the one you need

I need an ECU!!!-20150505_113102.jpg
Old 05-07-15, 07:14 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

I ended up sending him mine, hope it helps.
Old 09-07-15, 04:49 PM
DoktorYes
Rookie

I have 2 ECU. Part #89661-50140 and #89661-50141. 1st for a 1992-93 and the 2nd for a 1993-4. Both are ready to be fitted with new Caps.. Both are in working condition.I rebuilt my ECU; new Caps. Wow really makes car run better!!! Good Luck P.S. Will trade for a ECU #89661-50142, for a 1994 LS400. Email: Privatek1@hotmail.com or call Albuquerque,N.M. 505-489-7786. Thanks.