SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 07:19 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rollexus
When I read these few sentences I cannot help feeling that maybe engine mod is not for you?
There I said it! I know Ryan was thinking the same thing .

Without putting any numbers (ie, rwhp, ft-lb....), this game is a bottom up approach. Depending on how much you love the car, what kind of application, purpose (show,race) etc... You can either leave no corner untouched or focus specifically on what you want to improve on.

In essence, when talking UZ potential, here is a hint... the rods will need to go... then might as well do the pistons, if you're doing a 2UZ then place close attention to the main caps (ie, 4 bolt main conversion)... Can't leave the heads looking the way they are!!!! Let's order some cams. Valve float what? Get on the phone again and order up some dual wind valve springs for FI application...

Everything seems to cost 1,000-1,5000 dollars

Rods - 1,200
Pistons - 1,200
Cams - 1,500
Steel Valve Springs and buckets with Ti caps and retainers - 2,500
ARP Bolts - Head, main caps, rod - 1,500
Gaskets - 800
Core if you don't have one 500
Fuel pumps, lines, rails.... 2,000
AN fittings... Ask Ryan how expensive those are
Custom Harness + ECU (ProEFI ~8K, Motec ~15K)

Right there is 8000 dollars plus? And what you have are a bunch of boxes with shiny parts in them sitting next to an engine block. What now? Call up the machine shop dude? See what he has to say?

Believe me it makes me sick just writing this very post. And I am pretty sure it would do the same to anyone else who travelled this route. I am pretty sure the other mod gurus looking at the list up top would not pay attention to how exaggerated or not the list is. The thought will just make them sick too.

Let's just assume you go ahead and dump the 40K into this thing. Done engine! 2UZ! FI! 897 rwhp blah blah blah.... You will do all that and you will not even be able to enjoy it... The car will sit in the garage every rainy day, you'll drive it to the gas station and back, maybe the park and the coffee shop for show and tell... You would be too worried to punch it, buddy dings it in the parking lot...

By the time one has pulled the trigger, committed to the project they will be 30 something years old and grown out of that phase... If not, you're wife will have a few things to say. And trust me, you'll be all ears .

Not planning on getting married? No worries, a career change may have a say in things. Just ask this guy https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iper-pa23.html
He bit the bullet and dumped money into an engine he felt has potential too. Then he bought a multi engine plane... That's pretty fast . Want to go fast? Buy a bike .

This my friend is the cold reality.

Cheers.
I am going to say this absolutely, NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME GOALS, you build a 800HP 2JZ I guarantee your changing out the internals, I dont want some quarter mile queen, I want a car with decent power, 85% of the people in this car scene arent going to be at those extremes.

just because I wouldnt prolly go above 400hp doesnt mean "the car modding" isnt for me. that isnt fair to say to anyone.

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Simply put, if I have $3000 to spend, the 1UZ MAY have 375hp, the 2J would absolutely have 600hp, and be more reliable..

Spend $3k on the engine alone, it isnt going to magically get you to 600hp youll need more money to play.

put that money into the 1UZ and you can be just as happy as a stock GTE,
Old 04-24-15, 07:42 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I read these few sentences I cannot help feeling that maybe engine mod is not for you?
There I said it! I know Ryan was thinking the same thing .

Without putting any numbers (ie, rwhp, ft-lb....), this game is a bottom up approach. Depending on how much you love the car, what kind of application, purpose (show,race) etc... You can either leave no corner untouched or focus specifically on what you want to improve on.

In essence, when talking UZ potential, here is a hint... the rods will need to go... then might as well do the pistons, if you're doing a 2UZ then place close attention to the main caps (ie, 4 bolt main conversion)... Can't leave the heads looking the way they are!!!! Let's order some cams. Valve float what? Get on the phone again and order up some dual wind valve springs for FI application...

Everything seems to cost 1,000-1,5000 dollars

Rods - 1,200
Pistons - 1,200
Cams - 1,500
Steel Valve Springs and buckets with Ti caps and retainers - 2,500
ARP Bolts - Head, main caps, rod - 1,500
Gaskets - 800
Core if you don't have one 500
Fuel pumps, lines, rails.... 2,000
AN fittings... Ask Ryan how expensive those are
Custom Harness + ECU (ProEFI ~8K, Motec ~15K)

Right there is 8000 dollars plus? And what you have are a bunch of boxes with shiny parts in them sitting next to an engine block. What now? Call up the machine shop dude? See what he has to say?

Believe me it makes me sick just writing this very post. And I am pretty sure it would do the same to anyone else who travelled this route. I am pretty sure the other mod gurus looking at the list up top would not pay attention to how exaggerated or not the list is. The thought will just make them sick too.

Let's just assume you go ahead and dump the 40K into this thing. Done engine! 2UZ! FI! 897 rwhp blah blah blah.... You will do all that and you will not even be able to enjoy it... The car will sit in the garage every rainy day, you'll drive it to the gas station and back, maybe the park and the coffee shop for show and tell... You would be too worried to punch it, buddy dings it in the parking lot...

By the time one has pulled the trigger, committed to the project they will be 30 something years old and grown out of that phase... If not, you're wife will have a few things to say. And trust me, you'll be all ears .

Not planning on getting married? No worries, a career change may have a say in things. Just ask this guy https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iper-pa23.html
He bit the bullet and dumped money into an engine he felt has potential too. Then he bought a multi engine plane... That's pretty fast . Want to go fast? Buy a bike .

This my friend is the cold reality.

Cheers.
You are 100% wrong about age, many people build up cars all ages, how can say that
Old 04-24-15, 08:29 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Ok the age this was a little far fetched I admit.... Kind of....
Our cars are not 1960 classics. You know what I mean?
I would put x amount of dollars in a Charger or Mach 1 at
any age.

In MY opinion... And it's my opinion... I cannot see myself
in an SC at 45 reving the engine at a light you know? 45 too
young still? What about 55? 65? There is an ambiance that
is lost there. Again, taste will vary on this...

From my experience, and in short, if you don't have 50K and
6-8 months to complete the project. So much will go wrong.

You may decide to buy a house, get married, career keeps you
busy, not into it any more... A number of reasons why a project
may fail without even considering finances... That was my
point.

Last edited by rollexus; 04-24-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-24-15, 08:33 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PseudoK
just because I wouldnt prolly go above 400hp doesnt mean "the car modding" isnt for me. that isnt fair to say to anyone.
I know I said "you" but I did not mean you specifically... I meant in general. Please don't take offence.
Old 04-24-15, 08:54 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok the age this was a little far fetched I admit.... Kind of....
Our cars are not 1960 classics. You know what I mean?
I would put x amount of dollars in a Charger or Mach 1 at
any age.

In MY opinion... And it's my opinion... I cannot see myself
in an SC at 45 reving the engine at a light you know? 45 too
young still? What about 55? 65? There is an ambiance that
is lost there. Again, taste will vary on this...

From my experience, and in short, if you don't have 50K and
6-8 months to complete the project. So much will go wrong.

You may decide to buy a house, get married, career keeps you
busy, not into it any more... A number of reasons why a project
may fail without even considering finances... That was my
point.
I don't understand, your telling me at age 45 you can't Rev the engine? you think the sc will never be a classic? I hate to tell you but it already is almost a classic. Why do people always think a Japanese tuner has to be annoying at stop lights lol.

so I guess once I get older I need to ditch the tuner car sit on the couch and do nothing, seems like a boring ending

For me stay young forever and enjoy what you like, wife, kids, mortgage, career, whatever comes your way but a passion for a car would never stand in my way.

Last edited by mikef; 04-24-15 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 01:47 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is kind of getting off topic guys...No need to get confrontational...I wil say that I have always been an extyreme kind of a guy. So I went big from the beginning...I never really thought about modding the 1UZ to add like 100 more HP. I have to say, it would be a fun car at that...

I would start with the 98 up vvti base and go from there. You have 300 BHP to start, and need to add an inexpensive 100 HP more...Add a supercharger, go low boost, add a piggy back to adjust fuel and tune a bit more, and see what you can get at 5 to 7 lbs boost. It would not be too expensive and might hold up well.

Could do the same with the non-vvti...Just a little less HP.

Maybe you could do that for 3 to 5 grand and the car would be a lot of fun to drive...great low end, quick off the line...

And you dont have to go into the engine.

It is a thought...

In fact, I think KC95SC went that way in the beginning with the non-vvti...Centrifugal charger. He did not go into the engine until later, when he wanted more power...Look up his thread.

Steve Chuimo also went single turbo and I think he did it for 5-6 grand...Look up his thread. Both loved the changes and neither went radical...

Food for thought.

SC400TT

Last edited by SC400TT; 04-25-15 at 01:54 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 04:48 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400TT
This thread is kind of getting off topic guys..
Indeed !

The initial post and title is about "Why not give the 1UZ a chance ?" One will interpret it as , the OP asking, why not build the engine since it was followed up by a call out to someone he already knew had high HP 2JZ cars and said

seriously not even give the 1UZ a chance in ONE of the cars?!
followed by the questions :

what would it take to get more interest in this engine? create a formula/build to get the engine revving to 9K reliably?
Ryan and Nick said , it is EXPENSIVE based on their personal experience. They are right when they say it is since it will have to be built well internally to be able to rev to 9k reliably. The only reason why one would like to rev to 9k reliably is get tons of power.

Now we are down to 400rwhp

Get the right bolt ons on the stock 1UZ engine --> exhaust (let it breath with a good header/downpipe/midpipe/exhaust) , supercharger (boosting at low PSI . You can't go high since you go lean without the right fuel system or your internals will implode at a certain power level) , cold intake and other small things and get that 400rwhp ... That alone will be at least $5k with reliable parts from a RELIABLE companies who will give you support to your questions about the parts. If someone is doing the job for you, labor costs will depend on who is doing it. And even at that level , your transmission is already on borrowed times depending on how you use your car like sudden accelerations from stops, etc...

This thread will probably have been better titled ... "How could one get 400rwhp reliably on an SC400 ? ". and all un-necessary posts, call out and mis-understandings have been avoided.

Let me add this for the information of many that are not aware and people new to the 2jzgte world are not misled.The following statement quoted below is simply not true.

you build a 800HP 2JZ I guarantee your changing out the internals,
A lot of MKIVs or cars with 2jzgte have successfully been dynoed 800rwhp and higher WITHOUT changing out the short block internals.....just with bolt ons (turbo / fuel system / etc). The stock block had been proven to make +900rwhp . If you go to the drag strip where a car is abused then building the internals is highly suggested. IF you dyno it with the right bolt ons and is a street car where you won't use that power always , which 85% of the people building their cars are, then it can last without building the internals. It's all about how you use and abuse it. But getting +800rwhp on STOCK 2JZGTE Engine Blocks had been done countless times. It is one of the many reasons why many want to install the damn 2jzgte in a lot of cars like Nissan , Benz , BMW , Honda and others. These engines are getting scarce or getting harder to find and pricier as time pass just because of the demand now. Tell me an engine technology in the early 90s like the 2jzgte that was proven to dyno +800rwhp & more with just the stock block internals and the right bolt ons... and to top it, with its cost of $2500 NOW. It used to be $1700 just 3 years ago till everyone got to know what the damn engiine can do without touching its stock block internals .

Even the stock 2JZGE block found on SC300 and NA MKIV which you can get for $500 or less can get into the +800rwhp with the right bolt ons. Google for DaveH (owner of Boostwerx if I am not mistaken...who spend lots of time on the drag strip) ....that guy made at least 900 if not 1000rwhp on a stock / unopened 2JZGE (SC300 / NA MKIV engine) . Lexforlife & 99SC4 on this forum have made in excess of 600 / 700rwhp respectively with their stock SC300 2jzge internals.

So to say or worst even guarantee that you need after market block internals to make +800rwhp on a 2JZ is simply NOT RIGHT .Again, you just have to do a lot of research, talk to the motorshop people / tuners who know what they are doing.

The OP's response

Spend $3k on the engine alone, it isnt going to magically get you to 600hp youll need more money to play. put that money into the 1UZ and you can be just as happy as a stock GTE,
to Kris9884 comment

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Simply put, if I have $3000 to spend, the 1UZ MAY have 375hp, the 2J would absolutely have 600hp, and be more reliable..
Simply tells me that Kris9884 message wasn't understood.

Let me make it simpler....

If I have X amount of money to spend, to get MORE RELIABLE POWER , where will I spend it ? On a 1UZ or 2JZ ?

Let me put it in another way for those just aiming to get 400-500rwhp.

Where will I spend less money and save if I am just aiming for a RELIABLE 400-500rwhp ? Building a 1UZ or a 2JZ ?

If the testimony of Ryan & Nick's personal experience and what had been said so far on this thread doesn't convince people on what the best answer is then I guess we just have to let them do what they want and learn the hard way. It's their money to spend . Many of the people who posted just wanted to help after all by giving their $0.02.

Now, if money is not a factor for somebody who is rich , which is not the case for many that includes me then by all means build the 1UZ .

Last edited by gerrb; 04-26-15 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-26-15, 04:33 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

wouldnt this be just like the Honda K20, they reach those power levels because people learn how to tune them so they don't blow up?
Old 04-28-15, 11:10 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Don't know what this guy spent, but his NA 1UZ Supra is bad to the bone...ITB's baby!! This is a thread on CL. I guarantee that was not cheap. He got 420 WHP at 9300 rpm...Click the link for the video...Sounds Sweet!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...p-9300rpm.html

SC400TT
Old 04-28-15, 11:51 AM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll leave this here.....

Old 04-28-15, 12:23 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Don't know what this guy spent, but his NA 1UZ Supra is bad to the bone...ITB's baby!! This is a thread on CL. I guarantee that was not cheap. He got 420 WHP at 9300 rpm...Click the link for the video...Sounds Sweet!!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...p-9300rpm.html

SC400TT
yea I cant find the original build or get ahold of the new owner.
Old 04-29-15, 10:21 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

yea I cant find the original build or get ahold of the new owner.
Check Lextreme...Many guys are building their 1UZ's. You will need to join the website to search and access the more advanced threads.

Ryan
Old 05-01-15, 11:49 AM
2jzgobrap
Driver School Candidate

we have one of the greatest motors sitting in our cars and non of you want to modify them because of money. im 17 and about to rack out on a custom rear mount turbo running low boost. I'll let you guys know how this less than 2000$ turbo kit goes!! Dont be afraid to blow a motor you can replace for cheap since theres no demand. i find 1uzfe every where for cheap. A lot of guys maybe against this since I'm not spending 10k but im gonna be happy with the end result.
Old 05-01-15, 12:05 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lots of guys build the 1uz motors, you just don't hear about it as often.
the best 1uz is from 1989 (ls400) to 1994 (ls400 and sc400), after that they had compression changes that made them interference, and the vvti has weak rods that you would probably not want to supercharge, if you did you would be very limited in boost.

but up to 94 the bottom end was built as good as a 2jz is built rods and crank wise, except the 1uz has an aluminum bottom end with sleeved cylinders (how they keep the reliability up and keep the aluminum weight savings). so you couldn't push it as hard as a cast iron 2jz block, but you can push this 1uz pretty hard as it has the beefy rods.
interesting to note that the first version in the late 80's when it came out in the ls400, it had a separate cold start injector on the intake manifold.
maybe a good place to insert some water/meth injection?

easiest way to awesome 1uz power IMO:
grab any 92-94 sc400 and slap a vortech supercharger on it, get a better pulley to increase psi (dont do this if you are vvti), mount it with the fish bracket, and throw a aem fic-8 in intercept mode to take over fueling from the stock ecu.
If you can't stand using a piggyback, you could also use a aem v1 for a 2jzge or gte but you would have to make a custom calibration. the 1uz non vvti ecu connector is the same as the 2jz so that part is basically plug and play. you might have to move pins around for a few things but nothing crazy.
tune it and enjoy all the smoking rubber behind you and best part it is that power is available off the line.

rear mount turbo is always ineteresting, and there have been several people who have made custom single turbo setups in the engine bay. I am just not sure its worth the work compared to the supercharger route for the v8 and having to deal with 2 manifolds and oil lines etc.. its definately doable but the supercharger and bracket seems as close as you can get to bolt on parts for a 1uz motor.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-01-15 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-01-15, 02:28 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzgobrap
we have one of the greatest motors sitting in our cars and non of you want to modify them because of money. im 17 and about to rack out on a custom rear mount turbo running low boost. I'll let you guys know how this less than 2000$ turbo kit goes!! Dont be afraid to blow a motor you can replace for cheap since theres no demand. i find 1uzfe every where for cheap. A lot of guys maybe against this since I'm not spending 10k but im gonna be happy with the end result.
If you actually do this, I'll be following your thread for sure. Estimated goals?

Quick Reply: Why dont you give the 1UZ a chance??