SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Old Lexus / New to Forums

Old 04-03-15, 06:25 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Lexus / New to Forums

Hey All,

I decided to join this forum after reading through and this seems to be a great community. I have been looking around for a good cash car and today I stumbled upon a '93 SC400. I have never even been inside a Lexus let alone drive one. But this seemed the best of both worlds as far as budget and car.

After looking at it person today it seems the motor is really clean but obviously the interior / exterior isn't sweet on the eyes. Just looking to see what y'all think and if you would hold out for a better color combination and better interior condition. I have a second meeting with the dealer in the morning just to take a better look.

I did run a Carfax on this vehicle already and it appears that it has 8 (damn!) owners but the title is clean. Looks like it has been only in Hawaii and Texas so no cold weather. The report also stated no accidents have been reported.

Thanks for taking the time to read and helping my indecisive brain make a decision!

Last edited by 6ftrabbit; 04-03-15 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Removed link to Craigslist
Old 04-03-15, 06:35 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to CL, It is a solid community of people that honestly do help each other out. Looks like you'd have some work ahead of you on that interior. No worries tons of stuff in the classified section of the forum, and lots of tech info all around these parts. (search and ye shall find.) Now before a mod tells ya, there is no offsite links like stuff to craigs or ebay and such. There is a reason, I don't know why, but its a rule they have here. These cars are a piece of automotive history!! So find one that won't kill you or your wallet and enjoy.
Old 04-03-15, 06:42 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by ems
Welcome to CL, It is a solid community of people that honestly do help each other out. Looks like you'd have some work ahead of you on that interior. No worries tons of stuff in the classified section of the forum, and lots of tech info all around these parts. (search and ye shall find.) Now before a mod tells ya, there is no offsite links like stuff to craigs or ebay and such. There is a reason, I don't know why, but its a rule they have here. These cars are a piece of automotive history!! So find one that won't kill you or your wallet and enjoy.

Thanks man. I think instead of the link I will upload the pictures from the site.
Old 04-03-15, 06:48 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Default Pictures from the ad

Car is going for $2295 with the damage maybe I can talk him down a bit.
Attached Thumbnails Old Lexus / New to Forums-motor.jpg   Old Lexus / New to Forums-backseat.jpg   Old Lexus / New to Forums-driver-door.jpg   Old Lexus / New to Forums-exterior.jpg   Old Lexus / New to Forums-front-seats.jpg  

Old 04-04-15, 12:00 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

depending on the miledge and mechanical conditions i would say between 1500-2000 is a fair price. I live in FL and i see people buy SC's here in crazy good conditions for 3-4000. If engine is good and youre mechanically inclined id say go for it if you can lower the price. 1UZ engines can get expansive tho, keep that in mind.
Old 04-04-15, 01:57 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Offer them about tree fiddy.
Old 04-04-15, 04:43 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Based off my personal preference, I'd pay no more that 1500 for it BECAUSE of the blue interior. Thats just IMAO, though. GL with the SC!
Old 04-04-15, 05:45 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Based off my personal preference, I'd pay no more that 1500 for it BECAUSE of the blue interior. Thats just IMAO, though. GL with the SC!
I know what you mean! I do not like that interior at all!
Old 04-04-15, 05:55 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Well looks like everything worked out in the end sort of. So went and test drove the car again today and did another check and everything looked good. Went out for the test drive and the instrument panel wasn't working at all. The check engine light came on briefly and then turned off and then the check oil light came on.

After returning to the dealership it was slightly leaking oil. He said he would get it fixed along with the instrument panel.

After leaving that place I found a '95 SC400 about an hour away and went to check it out. The interior and exterior was in a lot better shape. The mileage was 230k which is much higher than what I was looking for but I felt it was in pretty good shape. I talked the guy down some and drove this sucker home!

I am going to get a further inspection done on it Monday and get the title transferred. I am just happy I own one of these cool cars now and hopefully it will last to 350k miles. Thanks everyone for their advice!
Old 04-04-15, 05:57 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 6ftrabbit
Well looks like everything worked out in the end sort of. So went and test drove the car again today and did another check and everything looked good. Went out for the test drive and the instrument panel wasn't working at all. The check engine light came on briefly and then turned off and then the check oil light came on.

After returning to the dealership it was slightly leaking oil. He said he would get it fixed along with the instrument panel.

After leaving that place I found a '95 SC400 about an hour away and went to check it out. The interior and exterior was in a lot better shape. The mileage was 230k which is much higher than what I was looking for but I felt it was in pretty good shape. I talked the guy down some and drove this sucker home!

I am going to get a further inspection done on it Monday and get the title transferred. I am just happy I own one of these cool cars now and hopefully it will last to 350k miles. Thanks everyone for their advice!
Tried posting some pictures of it but the site doesn't seem to be working
Old 04-04-15, 06:33 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 6ftrabbit

Awesome! Yeah, sounds like that previous SC was a good one to skip...230k is nothing for the 1UZ's if taken care of. Post pictures when you are able to!
Old 04-04-15, 07:58 PM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Awesome! Yeah, sounds like that previous SC was a good one to skip...230k is nothing for the 1UZ's if taken care of. Post pictures when you are able to!
Awesome! Haha finally figured it out. Stupid pictures were too large. Anyway here they are
Attached Thumbnails Old Lexus / New to Forums-screenshot_2015-04-04-21-37-51.png   Old Lexus / New to Forums-screenshot_2015-04-04-21-36-54.png   Old Lexus / New to Forums-screenshot_2015-04-04-21-35-53.png   Old Lexus / New to Forums-screenshot_2015-04-04-21-35-17.png   Old Lexus / New to Forums-screenshot_2015-04-04-21-33-13.png  

Old 04-04-15, 08:08 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

The first car had too many warning signs and the interior would have been quite a chore.

The other car may be a much better starting point for you to build upon. Welcome to CL.
Old 04-06-15, 10:03 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like you walked away with the better of the two deals, enjoy, they are fun/ frustrating cars to own, but you have to love them. Just like a woman!
Old 04-07-15, 08:56 AM
6ftrabbit
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Looks like you walked away with the better of the two deals, enjoy, they are fun/ frustrating cars to own, but you have to love them. Just like a woman!
I am starting to doubt if I got as good of a deal as I thought lol. Got a call from my mechanic today. Seems like it still has a lot of the original parts on there.

Timing belt is due to be changed
Serpentine belt needs to be changed (I can do this one and I knew the belt was worn)
The car is misfiring and he recommends changing spark plugs and wires
The car is leaking oil and needs new valve covers

I am starting to wonder if I made a very expensive mistake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Old Lexus / New to Forums