SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Improvised Fan-Clutch

Old 04-02-15, 10:17 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Improvised Fan-Clutch

Has anybody thought about this?
I hear about people freeing up some power by removing the fan-clutch etc. and installing electric fans instead; however I also hear that comes a bunch of problems also. So I wonder, why hasn't anybody tried making a "new" fan clutch out of lighter materials? I mean, all it has to do is:
1. Mount-up
2. Retain the pulley
3. Hold the fan.
It can't be that hard; it's just a "hub". So has anybody ever done such a thing; made some new type of fan-clutch, that's significantly lighter than the stock one? This way you can free up power, without any complications.

What if we 3-D Print the original???
Old 04-02-15, 11:06 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Has anybody thought about this?
I hear about people freeing up some power by removing the fan-clutch etc. and installing electric fans instead; however I also hear that comes a bunch of problems also. So I wonder, why hasn't anybody tried making a "new" fan clutch out of lighter materials? I mean, all it has to do is:
1. Mount-up
2. Retain the pulley
3. Hold the fan.
It can't be that hard; it's just a "hub". So has anybody ever done such a thing; made some new type of fan-clutch, that's significantly lighter than the stock one? This way you can free up power, without any complications.

What if we 3-D Print the original???
Agreed, it would seem simple enough but for what amount of gain? I think most of the strain in power is the actual fan pushing through the air at whichever speed. The hub itself holding the fan could be lighter and thus help a small amount but most if not all of the pressure is the negative force the air is giving against the fan blades.. No?

If you planned to keep the OEM fan then yeah, might as well go lighter, that can only help. If not, just switch to electric fans and be done with it, if done right without cutting corners electric fans are as good or better than stock anyway.
Old 04-03-15, 12:50 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

All I hear are horror stories about them.
Old 04-03-15, 02:42 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
All I hear are horror stories about them.
Because "I installed electric fans 4 years ago, they work" makes a boring story. You won't hear from people in that category. People post their problems mostly. Most of them if done right, just work.
Old 04-03-15, 06:29 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

You guys might be surprised.

With high HP 2jzgte cars, stock fan does way far better than any electric fan. One of the few electric fans that work good on high HP 2jzgte are the OEM IS300 fans.

A lot of Supra MKIV owners have all tried most electric fans in hotter state like AZ, NM, TX registering temperatures of over 100F and all went back to the stock 2jzgte fan clutch.

And SC300 fans are viscous fan clutch not just any hub holding the fan. Even those fins serve a purpose.
Old 04-03-15, 09:55 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

I went and looked at a GTE swapped SC recently that had electric fans. They were not wired to a switch, and were ALWAYS on. It was raining and the seller did not want me to test drive the car yet. I could not get the car to warm up at idle because the fans were on full blast nonstop. I'd be weary of them putting stress on the stock alternator.

I do know the GS300s came factory with electric fans. Maybe we could find a way to make them fit in our cars. Other than that I don't think I'd take the risk with aftermarket fans.

I do agree that people only post their problems and rarely post about things performing well.
Old 04-03-15, 03:12 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

My mechanic (900hp SC300) insisted I don't do electric fans.
However, this isn't about electric fans; what I'm wondering about is freeing-up some power.
I'm thinking about using a 3D Scanner/Printer, and duplicating the OEM fan clutch, so as to have a lighter version of the same device. Those materials can withstand a lot; they even 3D Print assault-rifles these days (AR lowers). So what do you guys think about that? How much Hp do you think could be had? Has anyone attempted to drive w/o an OEM fan to feel a difference?
Old 04-03-15, 03:29 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Random thought that just bounced through my head: Has anyone tried adapting the turbo concept, using exhaust gases to spin the fan? Granted, that's sort of the opposite scenario of what's needed, with more flow at high speed than at idle, which wind speed is already filling in.
Old 04-05-15, 05:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

as mentioned above , the only electric fans that WILL out flow stock oem fan clutch is the also stock is300 fan setup wired correctly either to standalone or using 2 temp switches to make full use of their design as dual speed .. I personally know of 2 supra here in south florida , 1 being 1300 rwhp and the other at just under 900 rwhp using the is300 setup with power house racing alum shroud and neither have any cooling issues with or without ac on .. I watched on 1 via his can bus gauge (pro efi equipped car) and saw when his car reached 185 deg and the is300 fans cycled on , it took less then 10 seconds to drop temp 10 degrees .. show me a stock clutch fan setup that can do that .. in all the years I have been worked on lexus cars , I have yet to see a failure within is300 fans or second gen gs fans , they work and flow more cfm when on together and flow a ton when using both 5 blade versions and on high speed

I have set with phr shroud getting ready to put in my car and yes when doing this you should be upgrading alternator to higher amperage and do the alt rewire as well and you are golden
Old 04-06-15, 12:15 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

My SC is my only car, so I need it to drive, but would anyone be willing to donate their fan clutch to me for a day, so I can replicate (3D Print) one as a prototype?
I'll pay to ship it back to you, and if it proves effective, I'll send you the new one for free; as I'll definitely be making more for the community to benefit from.

I've gotten a hold of somebody with a 3D scanner/printer, and I've made an appt. for tomorrow, to see how the machine operates; so PM me if you're down.
Old 04-06-15, 01:11 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

You'll need an industrial sized printer to scan and print the fan, also it will be extremely expensive and not sturdy. It will have rigidity in only one axis since 3d printers print in layers in one direction. So on a 5 blade fan, 2 of your blades might crack very early on. Best to make one out of CF or fiberglass, would be pretty easy and much cheaper than 3d printing.
Old 04-06-15, 05:59 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the kahonas to make one!! just for that I have one sitting at home doing nothing that I just pulled off my parts car. Now I have my doubts here, but at the same time... One small step for automotive ingenuity, one Giant leap for...

It's off a 92 sc300 if that works?
Old 04-06-15, 08:19 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

OldManTan - I think you're mistaken. I'm not making the entire fan; only the fan-clutch. It's like a puck the size of a gokart wheel. It might fit. Secondly, the resin used in these duplicates is STRONG; nowadays people are making 3D printed assault-rifles, like the AR-15, and Glock pistols. I don't think it's gonna break.

ems - If you're down to let me borrow it, I've PM'ed you my address. Thanks!
Old 04-06-15, 10:05 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dope ill separate the fan off and get the puck ready, what the hell aint got nothing to lose.
Old 04-06-15, 10:37 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would go e-fans simply because of the space it opens up.

the benefit all depends on how hard they blow. a single E-fan from a early 2000s ford taurus will blow 3200CFM.

that will be plenty, and better than a lot of other fan setups. you will need to run a heavy duty fuse, wired directly to the batter though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Improvised Fan-Clutch