SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Damn pothole, need advice on repairing/replacing wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 01:09 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Damn pothole, need advice on repairing/replacing wheel.

Hit a really bad pothole yesterday, destroyed the tire and left a nasty mark on the wheel. Wheel DOES NOT LOOK bent, but who knows if its out of round unless you have the right equipment to check. Wheel is an 18" Lexus spider dealer accesory wheel, pass front. Its a smoky grey finish.

My big question is, can these wheel repair guys really fix an out of round/bent wheel to where it will ride with no vibrations on the highway? I know they can fix the scratched part no problem, as I had them redo a set of wheels for my old Cadillac that turned out great. I don't want to pay $100, 200 and have them say, "well that's as good as we could get it" type of deal. I'm kind of leading towards replacing the wheel, as I only paid $900 for the set new in box to start with, so hopefully I could find a new one for near the price of fixing mine.
Old 03-13-15, 12:36 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonna chip right in and say once the wheel is bent/out of round it becomes exponentially harder to fix. I'm not saying its impossible, but its very improbable that the guys who repair the finish to chipped/scratched wheels are capable of reshaping a bent wheel back into shape.

Plus you can probably find a vendor selling them and get 1 for similar pricing to the wheel repair guys.
Old 03-13-15, 07:22 AM
MyLparts
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Hit a really bad pothole yesterday, destroyed the tire and left a nasty mark on the wheel. Wheel DOES NOT LOOK bent, but who knows if its out of round unless you have the right equipment to check. Wheel is an 18" Lexus spider dealer accesory wheel, pass front. Its a smoky grey finish.

My big question is, can these wheel repair guys really fix an out of round/bent wheel to where it will ride with no vibrations on the highway? I know they can fix the scratched part no problem, as I had them redo a set of wheels for my old Cadillac that turned out great. I don't want to pay $100, 200 and have them say, "well that's as good as we could get it" type of deal. I'm kind of leading towards replacing the wheel, as I only paid $900 for the set new in box to start with, so hopefully I could find a new one for near the price of fixing mine.

If it's the G Spyder wheel that I am thinking abou,t we can get it for you for $235 shipped. If you decide to go that way, give us a call. Thanks!
Old 03-13-15, 08:58 AM
Blackmeen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey before buying a wheeel. Not sure where you love. Or if you can re find said pothole. Take pics of it and its location then go to your city building and they should replace said wheel. Ive had tons of friends do it because potholes broke or bent wheels
Old 03-13-15, 11:04 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a wheel repaired, but it was never perfect, waste of money. Cost $100. Considering the G-Spider wheel prices I would just get a new one, keep the old one in case of emergency.
Old 03-13-15, 03:43 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackmeen
Hey before buying a wheeel. Not sure where you love. Or if you can re find said pothole. Take pics of it and its location then go to your city building and they should replace said wheel. Ive had tons of friends do it because potholes broke or bent wheels
Yep, I did this with my OZ Superleggera on my old Legend. I hit a pot hole so hard it broke my ball joint, bent the rim and dropped down and smashed my fender. Took pictures of the pothole, faxed them a quote for everything from Acura. They wrote a check out to me directly through the mail, was a done deal in less than a month.
Old 03-24-15, 06:15 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So yesterday I picked the wheel up from Discount Tire. They had their mobile wheel repair guy come by and refinish it. Turns out it wasn't bent, which is what I thought.

Finish looks factory perfect, Discount Tire pro-rated the price on my Pirelli based on the tread remaining and only charged me $70 for a $170 tire. No vibrations, rides smooth as silk, all said and done it was $225.

I also don't think it screwed up the alignment, at least not any worse than what it was before. Car does gradually pull to the right on the interstate if the road has a crown to it, but it kind of did that before.

As for getting money from the state(pothole was on the interstate), I'm going to file a claim with the state of Tennessee Treasury department. They will "pay a claim" if:

TDOT was notified beforehand about the road hazard/pothole and had not fixed it within a reasonable amount of time.

One person told me that they won't pay out unless you have a police report, which I do not. So I am probably SOL on this, but it doesn't hurt to try and file the claim.
Old 03-25-15, 04:58 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never hurts to try. Ive heard of refunds happening, for me Ive been noting all of the potholes and rough roads on my normal driving routes and finding alternate routes before I take her out. Winter capable climates have maaaad amounts of potholes, and Im not taking any chances. Good luck.