SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The "My SC300/400 Story" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-15, 09:14 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default The "My SC300/400 Story" Thread

Plagiarizing the LS460/600 forum, thought it'd be an addition to the SC community to get to know each other a little bit better.

I think we can all gain from each other's experiences and background and I
we have decided to start/continue this thread to get us more acquainted because I believe it can only make our forum that much stronger. Below is a template of questions I would like each of you to copy and paste and fill in your details. Share as much or as little information as you wish. I think we can have some fun with this and learn more about our passion for this car that "most" of us love more than we hate while perhaps opening more doors for networking.

I realize there are some other threads that touch on some of this info, but it is not all in one place. So again, just copy the template in a new reply and post it up.

Basic Rules:
1. Keep it clean
2. No disrespectful comments because this thread will be closely monitored
3. Let's keep this light and fun and provide as much factual information as possible
4. As a reminder..keep it clean!

- Hobbies/Special Interests:
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username:
- Year and SC Model I own (want):
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC:
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why:
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why:
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be:
- What I Love About My SC The Most:
- What I Hate About My SC The Most:
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..:
Old 01-28-15, 09:27 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

- General Location: Rio Rancho, NM (outskirts of ABQ)
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Lexus anything (obviously), Apple devices, IT, cars in general
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: When I bought the 92 SC, the guy that was selling it said his name was sly, but was intepreted by me as "Slide". Thought it was a cool combination.
- Year and SC Model I own (want): 1992 Lexus SC400, 1995 Lexus SC400, want 97+ SC400 (or GS400)
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: Never did, my Dad talked me into it. Boy, am I glad he did.
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: LCD dimming rear veiw mirror. Though I never use it, I find it very intriguing regarding how much more advanced technology was in the making of Lexus vehicles than everything else.
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: The cellular phone. Get that thing OUT!
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: Window visors. The SC is about how I want it.
- What I Love About My SC The Most: The sleek style...not one straight line on the thing. The reliable V8.
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..: Buy/fix/sell cars (mostly Lexus) currently as a side "money maker" and hobby.
Old 01-28-15, 10:11 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- General Location: West Texas for a few more months then hopefully austin if I get the job, or Houston for my backup jobs but I don't want to go to Houston
- Occupation: I sell comcast services to people till literally tomorrow, and then I'm running to Austin for a job interview designing wind farms.
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Obviously this car, running, cooking, currently learning web-code and app design, automotive detailing, I ran a business detailing cars here in town for two and a half years
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: When I was 9 years old I got to create an AOL account when we got a computer/internet on those cheesy install disks. I wanted to be Edog, but it was already taken, so I went with eknine, and then added the number 9 because I was nine years old. It's kind of stuck with me since then and it's a name I usually use when signing up for stuff. It's a good internet name, cryptic, seemingly meaningless but it rolls off the tongue and has a number attached. It's everything an internet handle should be.
- Year and SC Model I own (want): 92 SC300 OG 5 speed
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: 3 years before I bought mine... around 2009 I was driving around Austin back when I went to community college and saw the coolest red SC I'd ever seen. And I was actually looking for a car then but my friend talked me out of getting an SC which I knew nothing at all about since that red one was the first time I had noticed one. 3 years after that I was looking for a car again and saw this one on Craigslist, I was in love. Ironically the guy I bought it from has a brother who also owned an SC... a red SC, it actually turned out to be the Red SC that I saw all those years ago that got me into this car. His car looked very similar to his brothers, so imagine my surprise when I could own nearly the same SC I had fallen in love with for a very modest sum.
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: The dimming mirror. That's just damn cool
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: Open differential. I mean I get it, an LSD wouldn't have fit the luxury market of the 90's... but damned if I don't want one.
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: LSD, Pretty sure that's near the top of my list, that and having Tanin replace my flickering gauges and dead needles.
- What I Love About My SC The Most: Rarity and that it's mostly ignored by the non-car public
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: My SC? If it's specifically mine, I hate how much my car has taken a **** on me over the past year.
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..: I was briefly homeless living out of this Lexus. Looking back on it I shoulda just crashed on a friends couch for those 12 days but I was too proud I guess.

Last edited by eknine9; 01-28-15 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 04:49 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- General Location: NE Minneapolis
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Anything Auto related/Vintage BMX
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: My Nickname from fixing peoples junk.
- Year and SC Model I own: 1993 SC300 5spd factory
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: Put an LS400 into a curb sideways and was like "Naaah this aint gunna work."
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: how the driveshaft is layed under the car.
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: dash vents
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: Single Big Turbo
- What I Love About My SC The Most: Nose
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: Nose
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..:I used my buying the SC to distract my Lady from thinking I was not going to ask her to marry me... It worked.... and she said yes.
Old 01-29-15, 05:25 AM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

- General Location: Aurora, CO
- Hobbies/Special Interests: cars(durr), computers, trains(oh ya!!), mechanic work. plus camping, lite 4x4 in the terra, and watching my son ski down a damn mountain!!
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: remember those magic 8balls? yea....ran with the nick eightBall for a while in some game, picked up 'eight' on cl and dropped the ball. ran-damn-icity.
- Year and SC Model I own (want): 92, had a sc4 - dumb kid killed it, picked up a 92 sc3 5spd.
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: my second job was at a pizza shop, every day i went to work i would see a forest green sc4 in the same parking lot as work. some car insurance dude owned it that i never spoke to and to be honest...i flipping _HATED_ the car. after passing by it some 3billion times it started to grow on me and i ended up hassling some auto broker to find me one asap.
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: on the sc4 - seat heaters oooooo. on the sc3 - MANUAL TRANNY WOOO!!!
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: ....what fool decided to put the cup holder right in the way of my forearm!!
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: suspension, turbo would be nice but handling is god.
- What I Love About My SC The Most: big body, jdm, unique style, rarity(manual aside, this car is a jewel surrounded by sand), rwd(anybody see that youtube of buick riviera vs sc300?), an engine that has a bible and rides the legendary waves of combustion.
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: i haven't owned her for that long...but in time that'll change to 'i hate my wiring harness'.
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..: i shrug off a lot of everything and tend not to be phased by the everyday bs(im to easy-going with the world - "o look, the worlds on fire...better get the marshmellows)....but when it comes to my car....well, she turns me into a OCD freak(the wife might be jealous =).

i really like the using a sc as a carrot to distract, sounds like it was a fun day =D.

ay Slide...the 5 speedsters are coming for ya =P

(woo, 12 years later i've hit 100 posts, rofl)

Last edited by eight; 01-29-15 at 05:28 AM. Reason: icanhazbold!
Old 01-30-15, 07:50 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Great thread, SC400slide. Glad to see a few long-time members are still hangin' around here.

Carry on.
Old 01-30-15, 11:19 AM
crenfro
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- General Location: Indianapolis, IN
- Occupation: College student studying Computer Technology/Manage pizza place
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Cars in general, soccer, IT
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: My first initial and last name.... c(ooper)renfro
- Year and SC Model I own (want): First car was a 92 SC400, totaled in a fender bender Now I own a 95 SC300, currently in the middle of a 1jz vvti swap hopefully complete soon!
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: My dad and I were looking for my first car and I was browsing Craigslist and saw the SC4 and it just caught my eye, looked so clean and what 16 year old high school kid doesn't want a v8 coupe!?
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: 97+ bodies, I want one so bad...
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: The interior (not the look, but the construction)
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: Well, like I said I'm in the middle of a swap right now sooooo if I could have even more I'd ask for a v160
- What I Love About My SC The Most: The sleekness of the body, and how nobody knows about them
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: The paint, body, needs a paint job and a couple small dings removed
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..: When I was car shopping for my first car with my Dad, I didn't tell my mom (parents divorced), so my Dad bought me a car and my mom didn't know, and she already arranged for me to get my grandma's old car, so I ended up with 2 cars at the age of 16...
Old 01-30-15, 11:52 AM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

- General Location: So. Cal
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Basketball, IT, car detailing
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: Net4n6 (Network Forensic)
- Year and SC Model I own (want): 98 SC400 (totally stock)
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: I bought the car for my son (16 yrs old) but he liked my lifted offroad 4runner more so I let him drive the 4runner and I drive the SC400. The SC400 drive a lot smoother and faster than my 4runner (due to big, mud tires).
- Favorite Factory (OEM) : Nak system. and CD changer
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: None. (memory seat doesn't work)
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: New 18" rim.
- What I Love About My SC The Most: The sleek style...and V8
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..: I relax by detailing my own cars... Sometimes, I spent 6-8 hours on the weekend just washed and detail cars (mine, my wife's, and my son's). I am a hardcore Clippers fan for 25 yrs.....

Last edited by net4n6; 01-31-15 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-31-15, 01:27 AM
ZetaDrift
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- General Location: NorCal
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Gaming, cars, giant robots, Initial D/Wangan Midnight
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: Just a carry over from my Hybrid-Z and MazdaspeedForums username, I use it everywhere now
- Year and SC Model I own (want): 1996 Lexus SC 400 Ruby Pearl (according to the 1996 Lexus Brochure)
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: When I realized my dad was letting my mom's SC just rot away on his property, had to rescue it
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: I know it's not the best, but I really like that pop-out cup holder in the dash. I liked the simple design and convenient location.
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: Automatic tranny, really wish there was a manual option for the 1UZ
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: 2JZ-GTE + R154 swap :lol:
- What I Love About My SC The Most: Personal history with the car and the JDM badges my mom bought while we were visiting family in Japan.
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: The shoddy shape the exterior is in after being left out in the elements for years without being touched
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..: My wife and I are high school sweet hearts and have been together for 14 years (come Valentine's Day 2015)
Old 01-31-15, 12:07 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- General Location: Long Island, NY
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Motorcycles!
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: It's my last name, shortened.
- Year and SC Model I own (want): 1996 Lexus SC400, Want 99/00 SC400
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: After I bought a bad one.
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: Heated seats, because it's freezing in NY!
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: Dildomatic, because of it's mass appeal.
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: SSR SP1's or Shine Kit, I can't decide.
- What I Love About My SC The Most: The way it drives for a 19 year old car.
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: Dings/dents/paint swirls
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..: I'm a huge UFC fan, and I like to watch alone lol. No you're not invited, I watch PPV's by myself, and root for my favorites by myself, if you root for someone else you have to leave.

Last edited by Biddles; 01-31-15 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 06:43 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Biddles, I record watch each and every card by myself as well. Not the best card for $59.99 last night tho....
I have almost every fight since UFC 1 on hard drives!
Old 02-01-15, 01:38 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Biddles, I record watch each and every card by myself as well. Not the best card for $59.99 last night tho....
I have almost every fight since UFC 1 on hard drives!
Lol yea considering half the shows are now free on fox or fox sports...then you pay $60 and get a bit of a disappointment. Seeing Silva come back was great though. Belfort's my favorite fighter, kinda pissed about the next event with Weidman injured. Really killed that card for me.
Old 02-02-15, 08:09 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

- General Location: N.W. Pa.
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Cars/Motorcycles/ Art/Antiques/People/& much more.
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: From all the AMC's I've run. AKA: Ramblers.
- Year and SC Model I own (want): 96 SC400/midnight indigo pearl.
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: 1992/ mine was @ a car flipper & the price was right
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: Auto adjust steering column & seats/ cuz I'm old. LOL!
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why:ABS & traction control/ They don't know the road as well as I do.
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: Super charger
- What I Love About My SC The Most: The quality & sleekness of the car.
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: All the secret bolts when trying to remove something & expensive parts
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..:I'm extremely good looking when the lights are out!
Old 02-02-15, 08:27 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

- General Location: Pembroke pines Florida
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Photography,Cars,Planes,and Auto Racing
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username:I like maserati's so made it my screen name.Just about everywhere.
- Year and SC Model I own (want): I Have a 1999 Lexus SC400 (Golden Pearl)
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: I was originally looking for a Two door car with a V8, so i was Looking at the Corvette C4, But then i saw SC's gone wild and was Sold on the SC!
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: I'm a big fan of the light dimming mirrors, the Heated seats, and speed assisted steering.
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: I don't have a least favorite feature.
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: New Wheels! Weds Borphes!
- What I Love About My SC The Most: The ride, the smooth V8 power delivery.
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: My suspension is all old and rusted so my ride isn't as smooth as it should.
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..:I want to keep my SC forever and would never sell it.
Old 04-09-15, 11:38 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

- General Location: Houston (Memorial Area), TX
- Hobbies/Special Interests: Computers, Programming, Gaming, Cars, Music Production
- How I Ended Up With My CL Username: A name I've been using for quite a while
- Year and SC Model I own (want): I own a 1998 SC400 in Black w/beige interior.
- The Moment I Knew I Just Had To Have An SC: Two years ago I was on the lookout of purchasing a car for myself. I didn't know anything cars except that four wheels make it go. One I started my search it was from online forums, on the lookout for a reliable and low cost vehicle. Thought to myself A Honda Civic or a Camry would be nice. Slowly started looking into RWD vehicles because at that time I was introduced to Car Culture and started to learn more about cars. FWD cars became boring, at the least the ones in my price range. I saw a beatup Lexus on a Craigslist, it was going for 3k and I thought to myself. What car is this exactly, it looks amazing, it has such a smooth style. I kept reading into it more and more, wanting to know why this car never became so mainstream, the more I knew the more I fell in love with. Finally, after 2 years just last month I purchased my first car and it was a 1998 SC400. I don't have any comparison to an other car to see if the SC is good or not, but I love every bit of it.
- Favorite Factory (OEM) Feature and Why: Not exactly a feature, but I just love the feel of those heavy doors.
- Least Favorite OEM Feature and Why: Hmm.. hard to think
- If I Could Have One Aftermarket Mod Right Now, It Would Be: Not exactly Aftermarket, but IS-F wheels and a completely new paint job.
- What I Love About My SC The Most: The comfort and the silence of power, driving past someone they won't even be able to tell there is a V8 underneath the hood. Also the fact, people stare at your car because they have no idea what it is, some think its a not too old car, perhaps from 2005 or something. The design is so unique and simple, it's perfectly packaged. The interior is not too heavy on the eyes with so many buttons and unnecessary curves. Everything is there for functionality and simplicity.
- What I Hate About My SC The Most: My leather seats are a bit ripped
- The One Thing That Most People Don't Know About Me Is..: I'm.... a bit crazy.

Quick Reply: The "My SC300/400 Story" Thread