SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

20% Tint :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 12:58 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20% Tint :)

Waiting here at this tint place. $150 for all my Windows except the windshield, which they have to do tomorrow. Lifetime warranty.

Can't wait to see her. Also, my interior speakers just arrived with double din kit. Just need a double din before I go to Best Buy for install.

She's coming along! Next is brakes. Just changing the pads, as they're obviously worn. The calipers are retarded heavy as I inspected. Feels like my cast iron pot, but silver. Def need TT CALIPERS. If anyone has some for sale, I'm prepared to buy them asap.
Old 01-26-15, 02:17 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Old 01-26-15, 02:23 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking good !

i always like a full tint , most car adds use a tint car
can you still use your rear window heater ?
to bad its illegal to tint driver side and passenger side over here
Old 01-26-15, 02:54 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MN only allows 50% on the sides. boo!!!, guess Ill just have to drive faster!
Old 01-26-15, 03:04 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks Amazing!
Old 01-26-15, 03:11 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks great! I attempted to install tinting on my SC...boy it's ugly. I think it's about time for me to pay somebody to do it right.
Old 01-26-15, 03:19 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Looking good, much better than having no tint haha. The shiny pillars look great with the tint. Not to thread jack or anything OP, but anyone here in Florida have any problems yet with 20% or lower on the sides? Legal limit says 28%, just wondering. Having mine done in the next couple weeks.
Old 01-26-15, 03:55 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good!

Did you think about going darker? I went with 5% on rears and 20% on fronts and still does not seem dark enough in direct sunlight due to tan interior.
Old 01-26-15, 04:19 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Waiting here at this tint place. $150 for all my Windows except the windshield, which they have to do tomorrow. Lifetime warranty.

Can't wait to see her. Also, my interior speakers just arrived with double din kit. Just need a double din before I go to Best Buy for install.

She's coming along! Next is brakes. Just changing the pads, as they're obviously worn. The calipers are retarded heavy as I inspected. Feels like my cast iron pot, but silver. Def need TT CALIPERS. If anyone has some for sale, I'm prepared to buy them asap.
Wow $150 is a great price!
Old 01-26-15, 04:57 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not really a fan of tint, unless windshield is included, which is very big deal in Cali. Mine had 5% all around when I got it, but with black interior, it made me feel claustrophobic so I just took them out and liked the fishbowl look. I plan on putting ceramic tint on it when I drive it as daily again, for a transparent look.
Old 01-26-15, 05:04 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
Looks good!

Did you think about going darker? I went with 5% on rears and 20% on fronts and still does not seem dark enough in direct sunlight due to tan interior.

I was going to go 15% but after seeing vids at night, it be a bit too dark. I feel confident now getting the windshield 35%. The employee showed me his Honda. Had 45% on his windshield and front windows. It was nice, but because he had black interior, it looked darker then it would with me tan & Brown. I'm surprised at how light 15% is. I guess I'd say it's perfect.
Old 01-26-15, 05:11 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I'm not really a fan of tint, unless windshield is included, which is very big deal in Cali. Mine had 5% all around when I got it, but with black interior, it made me feel claustrophobic so I just took them out and liked the fishbowl look. I plan on putting ceramic tint on it when I drive it as daily again, for a transparent look.
Exactly! I was hurt they didn't have time to do my windshield. But I have a 4pm appointment tomorrow. A fish bowl windshield with tinted sides and back gives me the *******.

Also, the legal limit here in IL is 35%. I wasn't worried or cared about the legality of it.

With my interior, cops won't be able to tell the extra 15%. Plus, Chicago is so high in crime, cops do not waste time bothering folk with tint. Might make them pull u over to check if you're a criminal or something, but never for the tint alone. I wish I would get 35% lol. Too light for my color.

THANKS GUYS. Hated the fish bowl thing. Felt naked and afraid lol.

Edit: $90 for the windshield by itself. Assuming it's more expensive because of the angle and shape of the window.

Last edited by SC400Zulu; 01-26-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 06:07 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

The local pro here is $200 for sides and rear, but he gave me a $20 off coupon for next time when I had him remove the bubbled old tint from the rear window. I was able to get the crud off the sides but was fearful of ruining the defroster lines. It turned out to be quit ea chore for even the pro.

I still haven't made up my mind whether to get it re-tinted... The SC looks great with tint, no question, but visibility is a concern. It was definitely tougher to see out of with the crap tint when I bought it, but those bubbles surely didn't help matters. On the other hand, the faded purple is lighter than proper tint would be.

The local guy also claims a lifetime warranty. To those who have had professional tint applied, does it really last 10+ years? Or do they claim that on the assumption that only 1% of people will keep their cars long enough to take them up on the offer and not have lost their receipt or forgotten where they got the work done by then? I'd hate to have to remove that nasty stuff again in a few years -- even if the shop does the work, it's tough to not damage the interior in the process. As I found out, the vinyl trim around the windows melts very easily with a heat gun, and removing tint the professional way requires an extremely large amount of mystery liquid (likely extra strong Windex with ammonia) that gets everywhere, i.e. around speakers and leather.
Old 01-26-15, 06:59 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by t2d2
The local pro here is $200 for sides and rear, but he gave me a $20 off coupon for next time when I had him remove the bubbled old tint from the rear window. I was able to get the crud off the sides but was fearful of ruining the defroster lines. It turned out to be quit ea chore for even the pro.

I still haven't made up my mind whether to get it re-tinted... The SC looks great with tint, no question, but visibility is a concern. It was definitely tougher to see out of with the crap tint when I bought it, but those bubbles surely didn't help matters. On the other hand, the faded purple is lighter than proper tint would be.

The local guy also claims a lifetime warranty. To those who have had professional tint applied, does it really last 10+ years? Or do they claim that on the assumption that only 1% of people will keep their cars long enough to take them up on the offer and not have lost their receipt or forgotten where they got the work done by then? I'd hate to have to remove that nasty stuff again in a few years -- even if the shop does the work, it's tough to not damage the interior in the process. As I found out, the vinyl trim around the windows melts very easily with a heat gun, and removing tint the professional way requires an extremely large amount of mystery liquid (likely extra strong Windex with ammonia) that gets everywhere, i.e. around speakers and leather.
I've had not interior mess ups. As far as the lines, I will ask him if the defroster will hurt the tint.

I have 20% and see out great at night. Much better than I though. I'd reccomend this %. Trust me, worth the money. The shop I went to had 4 stars and was a pretty close. I have no complaints so far. Can't wait for the windshield.

Also, let them know how delicate your trim is by the window so they are in egg shells.
Old 01-26-15, 10:19 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Being in Vegas it's almost a necessity to get the windows tinted. My interior and exterior are black but I plan on going 20% on the back windows and the two front windows 35% which is whats legal here. I just don't like peeps being able to look into my ride.

Quick Reply: 20% Tint :)