SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Did some needed maintenance today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 07:25 PM
95SC300LEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did some needed maintenance today!

What's up guys, been off work the past couple days which has been nice. Decided to go ahead and do all my fluids and such for my first routine maintenance. I had a belt jumping problem where the two front ribs of the belt would hang off the front of the pulleys. Thought it was a belt tensioner, but upon inspection of the pulleys I found the bottom ac compressor mounting bolt was missing! I found a bolt that fit perfectly, stuck it in and torqued it down. Slapped a new Gates belt on, made sure everything was lined and tight belt wise and cranked it up. I fixed the problem with one bolt! I couldn't believe that fixed my belt problem. Anyway I moved on to my oil change using a Toyota oil filter and Valvoline Maxlife 5-30. I then drained the AT pan which measured out to be about 3 to almost 4 quarts of what looked like a dark red wine colored fluid which did not smell burnt in the least. I put the plug back in and put almost 3.75 quarts of Toyota type T-IV back into the system. It then shifted a little smoother from the get go and up into the power band. That was all I had in me yesterday lol. I woke up today, did a brake inspection while rotating my tires. Then finally decided to move on to the rigorous test of changing the fuel filter. After about a ten minute period of having my hands and lower arms soaked with 93 octane, I finally managed to break the fittings loose and got the old filter out which happened to be a WIX 33319. From the looks of it, it had been on there for a few miles judging by the brown heavy looking liquid coming out of one end of it while I shook it. I replaced it with a new exact same 33319 WIX filter and she seems to have a ton more pick up on acceleration now! I'm so happy with my trade I made with my old Yukon now that I've got my dream car running at its full potential! A tip for anyone that decides to do their fuel filter, pull the fuel pump harness and fuse and crank vehicle over before loosening fittings at filter to depressurize the system. It definitely helped me not loose a ton of fuel like some people I've seen do before when they don't depressurize it. I only ended up draining out about a 3/4 of a gallon.
Old 01-20-15, 02:54 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted to do the fuel filter but I'm afraid with all the rust it will just turn into an expensive repair. New lines....etc... Maybe when summer hits, and I can ride my bike and not worry about the down time. Glad you had some easy fixes.
Old 01-20-15, 03:27 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Though there would always be cars that are lemons, our SCs are far from it. Good & Regular maintenance like this are the secret of cars getting over 300k miles and by then you still see them running as though they just rolled out of the showroom.
Old 01-20-15, 07:43 AM
95SC300LEX
Driver School Candidate

Yes yall are right, basic maintenance like this is what makes these cars last so long. I too thought the fuel filter would be a tough job to tackle, and yes it was a bit of a pain in the rear, but it's really not that bad of a job once you get the old filter out of there. My next task is figuring out where my power steering leak is coming from. I've got a small dripping coming from the back side of the pump. It probably doesn't help that the dipstick before me that had the car had topped the reservoir off with regular power steering fluid instead of Dextron ATF fluid like it calls for. Luckily enough it's not dripping right down on top of my alternator causing bigger problems. Today I plan to get back under there and make sure all my lines and hoses are on the pump are tight. If that isn't the case then I'll just keep adding Dextron till income taxes come back and I'll slap a brand new power steering pump on there with new lines and such ��
Old 01-21-15, 01:33 AM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 93SC400LEX
Yes yall are right, basic maintenance like this is what makes these cars last so long. I too thought the fuel filter would be a tough job to tackle, and yes it was a bit of a pain in the rear, but it's really not that bad of a job once you get the old filter out of there. My next task is figuring out where my power steering leak is coming from. I've got a small dripping coming from the back side of the pump. It probably doesn't help that the dipstick before me that had the car had topped the reservoir off with regular power steering fluid instead of Dextron ATF fluid like it calls for. Luckily enough it's not dripping right down on top of my alternator causing bigger problems. Today I plan to get back under there and make sure all my lines and hoses are on the pump are tight. If that isn't the case then I'll just keep adding Dextron till income taxes come back and I'll slap a brand new power steering pump on there with new lines and such ��
Sounds like a plan. Nice of u to just dive in and get ish done.

Saved a bunch of labor costs. I'm still a Sc newb, but so far, I'm loving her more each day.