SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

463K on My SC300, Original NON rebuilt Engine and Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 03:46 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
That is fantastic you should make it to 500k and keep going at this rate.
I would suggest next time just upgrade to the ls400 calipers in the front, check it out in the brake section. they make the car stop much better and are more or less bolt on (have to remove/trim a dust shield and use a shorter bolt). they are 4 piston and aluminum so not only do you get much better breaking, you save a bunch of weight up front. the original calipers are twice as heavy they are like iron lol.
yup i just removed my stockers for the ls400 ones and its amazing how much lighter it is
Old 01-13-15, 07:18 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More Maintenance Info to pass along

Ali SC3:
Thanks for that brake upgrade info. Those calipers are heavy, just like you stated.

Chason:
I posted this thread late last night sorry for not adding more info. You are correct as far as the suspension work.

I did replace the front struts about 250k and replaced the lower control arm bushings with some polyurethane ones. I was hear that clunking noise everyone was has heard on these. You will have to keep all the joints lubricated with grease.

I got greaseable U joints installed in the driveshaft and still using original center bearing.
This Stopped the vibration when torque convert locked up at HI way speed. (Yes the wheels were balanced).

This will stop you in your tracks

The Location of ECU is bad location(under the passenger floor mat). Terrible for ventilation of electronic components.
My ECU died on me about 275K or so. I got it rebuilt and modified for better ventilation ( ECU repair on ebay). Plus I got another,and modified the cover for better ventilation as a spare.

Mass air flow sensor (MAF)
Replaced one time. This was the only sensor that activated the check engine light on me.
It wouldn't let the engine rev. Easy Fix.

If you have any question... I will try to fill ya in. Just keeping it stock and reliable. lol
Attached Thumbnails 463K on My SC300, Original NON rebuilt Engine and Transmission-img_5324-mobile-.jpg  
Old 01-13-15, 07:48 PM
chason
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<3

This thread settles it. I'm keeping my SC until the day I die.
Old 01-13-15, 09:28 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

what a feat. Im glad that you're driving the hell out of it. I'm almost half way there.

Race you to a million
Old 01-13-15, 11:54 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Impressive! Now to see if I can get 400k from my Sc4. Has just over 100k on the dash.
Old 01-14-15, 06:56 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What mod did you achieve to add better ventilation to the ECU?
Old 01-14-15, 07:42 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP - congrats for a well maintained car. It wouldn't have lasted that long without the proper maintence

Originally Posted by Tabaka
It really goes to show you the importance of good maintenance.
Originally Posted by GSXMike
This goes to show you how long a vehicle can last if maintained properly.
^^^ +1000

Proper Maintainance is the secret for any vehicle to last. Every part have their useful life and needs to be replaced once it has reached that time

For me, fastening that ECU well on that floorboard helps cool down the ECU properly . The floorboard already receives fresh air from beneath thus cooling it and same floor board serves as a heat sink for the ECU if it is bolted properly. Having a heat barrier on the firewall prevents heat from the exhaust heating up said floorboard too. Some SC400 have the heat barrier on the firewalls.
Old 01-14-15, 01:45 PM
red93sc
Rookie

I noticed the ECU repair shop cut a small slit in the ECU cover by the top to allow heated air to escape/ circulate out of the ECU chassis. So I modded my back up ECU the same way.

The tech told me, that they get a lot of ECU's with the same problem of failing from overheating over a period of time.
If you look at the location and whats covering it. The Plastic Box, insulation, then the carpet. You may agree.
The Mounting Tabs the factory to the Floorboard my be sufficient for heat transfer. But a little more air circulation under that plastic cover wont hurt.

E
Old 01-14-15, 06:22 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Great to hear of another high mileage SC out there! Keep up on that maintenance, and you'll make it to a million
Old 01-14-15, 08:10 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

E-I'm available over the 4 day if you need a hand with any of your projects. LMK

steve
Old 01-21-15, 10:17 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations! That is an awesome milestone. I had a 1996 ES 300 and hit over 400K miles then a week later I was rear-ended.

I also owned a 1998 SC 400 but was very sad to get rid of her.

Last edited by Trexus; 01-21-15 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 06:02 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations : I do most of my own maintenance also & drive 155 miles a day @ least. Got 212k on it & catching up. 96 Sc400. Did the rear suspension @ 200k, front coming soon, along with 2nd timing belt & pump, plus tune up. Gonna do cross country road trip & take her up the PCH & back in the future. Mine will run till I die. Yours looks great.
Old 01-24-15, 01:58 PM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work, way to keep her alive.
Old 01-25-15, 07:25 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow just wow
Old 01-26-15, 07:09 PM
red93sc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Congratulations : I do most of my own maintenance also & drive 155 miles a day @ least. Got 212k on it & catching up. 96 Sc400. Did the rear suspension @ 200k, front coming soon, along with 2nd timing belt & pump, plus tune up. Gonna do cross country road trip & take her up the PCH & back in the future. Mine will run till I die. Yours looks great.
Yes keeping up on the services your self will save you alot on repair cost and at least you know that is was done correctly. There a few shops that you never know what they really did to your car with out you being present.

I just fixed my power steering pump foaming and wind a week ago. Reservoir cleaning, replacing the old low pressure return lines and replacing the 20 year old vacuum switch fixed the problem.

Luvmy SC400 and Kez
Thanks for the props.
E

Quick Reply: 463K on My SC300, Original NON rebuilt Engine and Transmission