SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

unidentified object please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 11:03 PM
Nosferatuz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default unidentified object please help

Can anyone identify what object is that? I have that on my 1997 SC400 plugged to the IACV. But the other end is not connected to anything. I'm having a hard time figuring out where it's connected into.

Thank you

Additional images
[URL=http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/forgedmotorsportindonesia/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_1455_zpscbc2571c.jpg.html][/URL

Last edited by Nosferatuz; 01-06-15 at 11:09 PM. Reason: additional images
Old 01-05-15, 11:35 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

A bigger, less cropped picture would help. It looks like it's in the area of the Fuel Pressure VSV and diagnostics box. I can't tell what that fitting is on the right end or if it leads to anything currently disconnected. Maybe someone capped off a coolant line from the IACV? There should be a hard line running through that area.

Although, my familiarity is with a '94, so your layout could be a bit different.
Old 01-06-15, 02:38 AM
Nosferatuz
Driver School Candidate

The other end is a kind of socket with two flat pins on them. Any idea though? I'll get larger view on the whole area to give better perspective later on when I get the chance.
Old 01-06-15, 06:50 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

The right side of that cylinder thingy. Is that an electronics connector? Like it looks like it's supposed to connect to a missing wiring harness? If yes, then I think it could be an electronic boost gauge sender
Old 01-06-15, 07:28 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that looks a map sensor, looks like a generic aem 3.5 bar of 5 bar map pressure sensor.
does your car have a electronic vacuum/pressure gauge or standalone ecu?
or maybe someone used it to plug up a hose?
Old 01-06-15, 11:13 PM
Nosferatuz
Driver School Candidate

Hi I've add some more detailed pictures.

I did have haltech ps500 on the car from the previous owner, but he said it wasn't compatible because ps500 can't handle 8 cylinders engine.

If that connector got something to do with the piggyback then where does the hose is originally intended to go?
Old 01-07-15, 11:02 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I still don't know what it is, but we definitely had no chance with the tiny first pic of realizing that's an electrical connector on the end!

Did you remove the spark plug wire cover/tray to confirm that it's actually connected to the IACV, rather than just passing by it?
Old 01-07-15, 11:46 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

I'm with t2d2. Make sure it's coming frome the IACV. Many times when the power steering pump is changed they will cap off one of the vacumn hoses. The hose has something to do with keeping the steering equal when you are turning at a very slow speed. I have heard it isn't necessary. The previous owner may have just used that connector as a plug.

Also what's going on with your PVC hose? Where is it going

Last edited by Bankswood; 01-07-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-07-15, 01:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah so its definately to do with the Haltech. on further look in the big pics, since it has 2 pins, its an intake temp sensor that has been clearly installed wrong. a map sensor would have 3 pins and look a little different. also judging by the '80s square bosch connector its off an old toyota or import which is fine most temp sensors are all basically the same.
they probably just teed into something in there and stuck the intake temp sensor on the end. I would just remove all that crap and put it back to how it was stock. take a picture of where it is teed into, take the cover off and take another picture and we can tell you what to remove and what can stay. that is not a stock hose, it was added later.

you won't need a seperate temp sensor if you are putting the maf back in there.
now if your car is a non-US version that uses a map sensor and a seperate intake temp sensor VS a maf setup, then you will need to keep it in but I would put one in the stock location then.

some of the vac hoses look a little too large, do not depend on the zip tie to seal it cause if its too large even when zipped it will leak.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-07-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-07-15, 03:34 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
some of the vac hoses look a little too large, do not depend on the zip tie to seal it cause if its too large even when zipped it will leak.
I was assuming they're thicker walled and the normal inner diameter. I've had to cinch up a few of mine because the SC barbs aren't all quite the same diameter, despite having the same size hose originally. A couple of them were loose enough to pop off while driving... It just needs the extra little compression of a zip tie or twist tie to bite onto the barb.
Old 01-07-15, 05:58 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I guess if it works it works I use like 3 different sizes of vac lines when I replace them normally and the smallest one is very small like the oem ones on top of the throttle body.
Old 01-07-15, 06:50 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I guess if it works it works I use like 3 different sizes of vac lines when I replace them normally and the smallest one is very small like the oem ones on top of the throttle body.
On mine, the hoses that fit very, very snug on the TB barbs will slip right off the one on the front of the intake plenum, and one of the ones on the heater control valve, with almost no resistance. A couple of the barbs on the EGR components and fuel pressure VSV were moderately loose fitting, too. Beats me why that is. There's no indication of damage to any of them. My only guess is very un-Toyota like poor quality control on that tiny element.

I used nearly invisible black twist ties (on black hoses) like you see with home electronics, so they would be quick to remove instead of having to snip zip ties each time. The first time the vacuum hose popped off the plenum while driving, I wondered what the heck just happened to the car... Fortunately, I knew what vacuum loss tends to feel like, so I didn't immediately freak out.
Old 01-08-15, 08:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

maybe someone changed them, my oem ones were stuck on there basically needed a small flat head to remove.
sometimes they get old and brittle and then crack or need to be replaced. you guys aren't using the smaller size, remember I said I use 3 sizes. the smallest size will fit on those so snug they wont need something to secure it, thats how I have mine hooked up and I put about 18 psi through those little hoses all the time. you have to worry about that stuff more when boosted, but even if its loose on an n/a that can be a small vacuum leak and it would taking away some of your power.