SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What the... (discovered my had SC odo tampering)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-14, 08:59 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
When I ran the Carfax on my own single-owner car, about a third of the info was incorrect. If you don't have that firsthand knowledge of a car's entire history, how do you know what information to trust and what to disregard in the report? Incorrect information is worse than no information, IMO.

And FWIW, Carfax's mileage numbers were way off on my report, so I wouldn't put much stock in them on the OP's. It's a borderline scam of a service, as far as I'm concerned. If it was free, I would use it with a huge grain of salt. As soon as they start charging for something that inaccurate, forget about it.
What I'm saying, t2d2, is that dealers will look at the carfax and will come up with a number on the vehicle based on that carfax, regardless if you believe the information on it is true or not. Think a car that has never been touched by a bodyshop would say "accident reported" on the carfax? Methinks not.
Old 12-07-14, 09:12 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
What I'm saying, t2d2, is that dealers will look at the carfax and will come up with a number on the vehicle based on that carfax, regardless if you believe the information on it is true or not. Think a car that has never been touched by a bodyshop would say "accident reported" on the carfax? Methinks not.
Obviously you're not going to believe me, but yes, it had stuff like that reported on mine that never happened. I don't recall exactly what it was, being 10+ years ago, but some sort of accident was on there that was purely fictional.

As for the mileage, I imagine Carfax is filling in whatever levels are reported, but most mileage figures I've seen are merely estimates as time goes by, based on expected driving volume. It's not hard to see how they could have a vastly inflated number after several years of no actual mileage reporting, resulting in what looks like a rolled back odometer when a real number shows up.

The only way the report would have helped the OP is in negotiating a lower purchase price. But if I'm the seller and I know what I've got, I'm saying to hell with Carfax's inaccuracies and it wouldn't matter, anyway. If I'm in the OP's shoes, I sell to a private party and reiterate my distrust of Carfax's report.
Old 12-07-14, 09:14 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

The only way the report would have helped the OP is in negotiating a lower purchase price. But if I'm the seller and I know what I've got, I'm saying to hell with Carfax's inaccuracies and it wouldn't matter, anyway. If I'm in the OP's shoes, I sell to a private party and reiterate my distrust of Carfax's report.
Then I sure hope you'd have a buyer that thinks on the same wavelength as yourself.
Old 12-07-14, 09:19 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Then I sure hope you'd have a buyer that thinks on the same wavelength as yourself.
That's sort of a key component to selling a car, isn't it? If they don't believe what I'm telling them about the car, then the sale isn't likely to happen, period.
Old 12-07-14, 09:22 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

That's sort of a key component to selling a car, isn't it? If they don't believe what I'm telling them about the car, then the sale isn't likely to happen, period.
Or at the very least, they'd use it as a tool to negotiate a lower price on the vehicle, as you mentioned previously.

The difference may be negligible on a $1k, 25 year old Lexus, but the same could not be said for anything, say, perhaps more expensive?
Old 12-07-14, 09:26 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Or at the very least, they'd use it as a tool to negotiate a lower price on the vehicle, as you mentioned previously.
Exactly, which is why I said the sale isn't likely to happen, period. I'm not taking a lower price because of a report I don't trust. They can move on to another car. Never sell from a point of desperation!
Old 12-07-14, 09:37 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly, which is why I said the sale isn't likely to happen, period. I'm not taking a lower price because of a report I don't trust. They can move on to another car. Never sell from a point of desperation!
To which I would say, best of luck to you and your hypothetical private sale. To reiterate the statement you steered clear from, this mentality would not work with a more costly vehicle with a countless number of examples for sale without some sort of price reduction. Why, as a buyer, would you take such a risk without some sort of incentive?
Old 12-07-14, 09:46 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

To which I would say, best of luck to you and your hypothetical private sale. To reiterate the statement you steered clear from, this mentality would not work with a more costly vehicle with a countless number of examples for sale without some sort of price reduction. Why, as a buyer, would you take such a risk without some sort of incentive?
The statement I steered clear from... You mean the one you edited in (email notifications are a great tool ) after the fact that didn't really relate to what we were discussing?

Look, the OP's car says one thing mileage-wise. Carfax says another, but there are A LOT of examples out there of its inaccuracies, not just my experience. A very strong case can be made for the report to be the erroneous half of the equation, assuming the condition of the car supports the odometer mileage. Why reduce the price if you believe the report to be wrong? If you can't convince the buyer of the sketchy accuracy of Carfax reports, then you're doing a poor job of communicating (which could be said of me in this thread, apparently!) and won't be happy with the outcome of the transaction, anyway.

This is all assuming you have reason to believe the report is wrong, of course. The OP has no real way of knowing... One thing you could look at is how linear the reported mileage marks are. If there's little variance, they may well be estimates. On my previously discussed car, it probably went 15 years without a real mileage number ever being reported.
Old 12-07-14, 10:01 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

The statement I steered clear from... You mean the one you edited in (email notifications are a great tool ) after the fact that didn't really relate to what we were discussing?
Edited or not, it was there long before your reply.

Look, the OP's car says one thing mileage-wise. Carfax says another, but there are A LOT of examples out there of its inaccuracies, not just my experience. A very strong case can be made for the report to be the erroneous half of the equation, assuming the condition of the car supports the odometer mileage. Why reduce the price if you believe the report to be wrong? If you can't convince the buyer of the sketchy accuracy of Carfax reports, then you're doing a poor job of communicating (which could be said of me in this thread, apparently!) and won't be happy with the outcome of the transaction, anyway.
Again, why would an individual give you two minutes of their time to let you explain how you "believe" a vehicle, for example, hadn't been in an accident, contrary to the CarFax's findings, when they can simply go down the street and purchase a vehicle that has absolutely no red flags? It's all subjective.

This is all assuming you have reason to believe the report is wrong, of course. The OP has no real way of knowing... One thing you could look at is how linear the reported mileage marks are. If there's little variance, they may well be estimates. On my previously discussed car, it probably went 15 years without a real mileage number ever being reported.
You're absolutely correct; the OP doesn't have a real way of knowing, neither does Carmax.
Old 12-07-14, 10:10 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Edited or not, it was there long before your reply.
I replied directly from the email link and didn't see your add-on until responding to the part you wrote initially. "Long before," right... Maybe a minute or two. I consider your response to that a weak attempt to paint me as dodging stuff, when in fact you tried to sneak in a fairly irrelevant curve ball, which tells me you're more interested in arguing than addressing what I've said. I think we're pretty much done here.

Again, why would an individual give you two minutes of their time to let you explain how you "believe" a vehicle, for example, hadn't been in an accident, contrary to the CarFax's findings, when they can simply go down the street and purchase a vehicle that has absolutely no red flags? It's all subjective.
Because I don't give a damn what they believe? If I know I'm right and Carfax is wrong, let them walk down the street and buy someone else's car. If they're interested in proving me wrong, let them do their research, tracking down the body shop who did the non-existent work for an accident that never happened. Betcha they find the paperwork matches a different car.
Old 12-07-14, 10:23 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I replied directly from the email link and didn't see your add-on until responding to the part you wrote initially. "Long before," right... Maybe a minute or two. I consider your response to that a weak attempt to paint me as dodging stuff, when in fact you tried to sneak in a fairly irrelevant curve ball, which tells me you're more interested in arguing than addressing what I've said. I think we're pretty much done here..
Relevant? Yes. We're discussing the selling of cars with CarFax being taken into account.

Because I don't give a damn what they believe? If I know I'm right and Carfax is wrong, let them walk down the street and buy someone else's car. If they're interested in proving me wrong, let them do their research, tracking down the body shop who did the non-existent work for an accident that never happened. Betcha they find the paperwork matches a different car.
Then on that note, we'll have to simply agree that it's subjective. I, personally, would've simply moved on to the next example. If you're selling, you need the buyer; the buyer doesn't need you.
Old 12-07-14, 12:11 PM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm honestly more surprised you didn't run a CarFax check on the car before you bought it. You wouldn't be facing this dilemma had you done so.
I consider CarFax a waste of money, so I wouldn't go nearly that far. I used it on my previous car purchase, plus the car I had bought new, and it was wrong as often as it was right.
Waste of money? Sure Carfax isn't 100% but its better than going in blindly. $40 to know what you're getting yourself into seems like common sense to me. Come on people.. we aren't driving Kias here.
Old 12-07-14, 01:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kappy550
Waste of money? Sure Carfax isn't 100% but its better than going in blindly. $40 to know what you're getting yourself into seems like common sense to me. Come on people.. we aren't driving Kias here.
Did you read the rest of what I wrote? I ran the Carfax report on two of my cars. One reported an accident that never happened, the other was a theft recovery insurance write-off and Carfax didn't reflect it.

Now, how exactly is that information any better than going in blindly? Mis-reporting is worse than no reporting.
Old 12-07-14, 01:19 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a Federal offense and a felony to tamper with any odometer.Punishable by up to 10 years in prison and between $2000 and $100,000 fine.
Old 12-07-14, 05:49 PM
Kappy550
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you read the rest of what I wrote? I ran the Carfax report on two of my cars. One reported an accident that never happened, the other was a theft recovery insurance write-off and Carfax didn't reflect it.

Now, how exactly is that information any better than going in blindly? Mis-reporting is worse than no reporting.
You know what, you're right bro. Hope you enjoy that $40.

Quick Reply: What the... (discovered my had SC odo tampering)