SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

NEWBIE just bought an SC400

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 07:48 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWBIE just bought an SC400

Hello CL! I have been a silent spectator on this website for months, but now that I just purchased my 1998 Sc400, it's time to join!

I bought the car TODAY, on my sisters 24th birth date at that. Barouque (I think that's how it's spelled?) Red Metallic. Just made 99K Miles, has all service records until recent. Bought it from a gentleman named Angelo. He is a mechanic, so the car was well cared for and purrs like a kitten. Has Coil Overs, Borla Mufflers & a few other bolt on's I can't remember (add deleted off CL). Getting full bolt on list tomorrow.

I was just in the market for a Sports Car. I almost got a 2004 G35 Coupe that was also in the price range, since he was NEEDY of the funds. But I am pleased with my purchase. Original EVERYTHING. All electronics work, interior flawless damn near. Paint is also nice. Only issue is a VERY small dent on the passenger side quarter panel. Didn't even notice it when I first looked at it. I will probably fix it this summer. Bothers the HELL out of me, because I love my new wife... Plus being a perfectionist ...

But considering the condition and Mileage, I feel at $7000 it was a steal! Lots of smooth power and great build quality. Very solid. The previous gentleman I mentioned, also owns a 500+ HP M3. I can tell he loved this car. Was a pleasure to take it off his hands!

Yes, my first Lex, so any tips and or questions are welcomed!

Old 12-03-14, 08:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Hello CL! I have been a silent spectator on this website for months, but now that I just purchased my 1998 Sc400, it's time to join!

I bought the car TODAY, on my sisters 24th birth date at that. Barouque (I think that's how it's spelled?) Red Metallic. Just made 99K Miles, has all service records until recent. Bought it from a gentleman named Angelo. He is a mechanic, so the car was well cared for and purrs like a kitten. Has Coil Overs, Borla Mufflers & a few other bolt on's I can't remember (add deleted off CL). Getting full bolt on list tomorrow.

I was just in the market for a Sports Car. I almost got a 2004 G35 Coupe that was also in the price range, since he was NEEDY of the funds. But I am pleased with my purchase. Original EVERYTHING. All electronics work, interior flawless damn near. Paint is also nice. Only issue is a VERY small dent on the passenger side quarter panel. Didn't even notice it when I first looked at it. I will probably fix it this summer. Bothers the HELL out of me, because I love my new wife... Plus being a perfectionist ...

But considering the condition and Mileage, I feel at $7000 it was a steal! Lots of smooth power and great build quality. Very solid. The previous gentleman I mentioned, also owns a 500+ HP M3. I can tell he loved this car. Was a pleasure to take it off his hands!

Yes, my first Lex, so any tips and or questions are welcomed!

I must say, you bought IMO the best SC sold in the States. I own a 1992 SC300/5 speed, and I wish I had held out for the right 98-00 SC400.

That engine upgrade with variable valve timing, along with a whole host of other minor tweaks really sets the 98-00 SC400 as a much better car vs all the other SC cars, if you plan on leaving it stock. The stronger V8 cuts off almost a whole second off the quarter mile et vs earlier SC400's and SC300 manuals.

I hope you have a better place to keep that car other than parked on the street. I'd hate to think I spent $7000 on such a pretty car to see it just get beat the hell up parked in the elements and having people bump into it who don't know how to parallel park.
Old 12-03-14, 08:17 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I must say, you bought IMO the best SC sold in the States. I own a 1992 SC300/5 speed, and I wish I had held out for the right 98-00 SC400.

That engine upgrade with variable valve timing, along with a whole host of other minor tweaks really sets the 98-00 SC400 as a much better car vs all the other SC cars, if you plan on leaving it stock. The stronger V8 cuts off almost a whole second off the quarter mile et vs earlier SC400's and SC300 manuals.

I hope you have a better place to keep that car other than parked on the street. I'd hate to think I spent $7000 on such a pretty car to see it just get beat the hell up parked in the elements and having people bump into it who don't know how to parallel park.
Good God.... The images you put in my head . Unfortunately, I stay in Chicago without a garage. I have to settle for a car cover, which I will get tomorrow. The bird ***** from the trees are legendary on this block... I need this cover. But I am moving down south after I serve my tax time clients . I am in the beauty business, so I am now in the position to enjoy this car & re-locate to a more car friendly town, that doesn't get snow, or cold weather. But thanks so much on the compliment. I really almost lost out on this car. It was for sale for $9700 months ago, all the way down to $6900. I then contacted the gentleman and met with him. I offered 5K and wouldn't go higher. He smiled and pretty much told me there was NO WAY.

Did some digging, found out there where only about 1189 SC400's built in 1998, much less in this color, condition and mileage. After some soul searching, I knew I had to have it and offered $7K.

I plan to keep it as is with the bolt ons. Maybe a tower brace, full exhaust, intake, light tints, double din kit, that's it. Maybe when I can afford to, I would consider a manual swap and a high compression motor build (no forced induction). I plan to keep her forever...

Here us an older pic of her before I owned it. Will take a video and better pics tomorrow. EDIT* Congrats on owning that super rare 5sp! Well, if it is factory.

Old 12-03-14, 08:37 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I owned a '99 SC300 and it was a fantastic car. I love the color you got and it is really rare. Enjoy!
Old 12-03-14, 08:45 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
I owned a '99 SC300 and it was a fantastic car. I love the color you got and it is really rare. Enjoy!
Thank you! I am very happy at this point! I made the right choice then!
Old 12-03-14, 09:07 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

BTW, my "RARE" 1992 SC300/5 speed is pearl white with the same light beige interior.

Considering the condition and maintenance records are the same, I'd much rather have your "purple nurple" 1998 SC400. While the 5 speed SC300 is fun and decently quick, for something with a manual trans, it does feel a bit isolated and heavy around the corners. IE it feels like it needs another 50-100hp and a good shifting automatic to make that really nice "GT" car.
Old 12-03-14, 09:52 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aron9000
BTW, my "RARE" 1992 SC300/5 speed is pearl white with the same light beige interior.

Considering the condition and maintenance records are the same, I'd much rather have your "purple nurple" 1998 SC400. While the 5 speed SC300 is fun and decently quick, for something with a manual trans, it does feel a bit isolated and heavy around the corners. IE it feels like it needs another 50-100hp and a good shifting automatic to make that really nice "GT" car.
Haha. There are nice SC4's out there. Just not a lot of 98-00. Just took the other wife to Walgreens. Snapped a couple quick shots, low light. Also have a pic of the passenger quarter panel. Looks like it's down to the metal. Any way to protect it against rust until I can fix it?

Old 12-04-14, 08:52 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful car. I miss my SC...
Old 12-04-14, 09:52 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by T0ked
Beautiful car. I miss my SC...
Thanks. I love her more each day. Love the gated 5sp. I get somewhat of that Sports Car control, but I also enjoy the luxury side of this car. I also think it the gas tank in the trunk was a unique touch from the factory.

Car also has all the trunk accessories, like the tools and what not.
Old 12-04-14, 10:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

congrats. moving to the right forum.
Old 12-04-14, 10:49 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats. moving to the right forum.
Thanks! I figured out after the fact, that I should have made this in the SC section.

Any suggestions on that blemish on the quarter panel?
Old 12-05-14, 07:27 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SC400Zulu
Thanks! I figured out after the fact, that I should have made this in the SC section.

Any suggestions on that blemish on the quarter panel?
I handled the same issue with a fiberglass tipped rust removal pen and Lexus touch up paint I got on Amazon. I removed the rust and touched all the spots up. It looks much better and will be fully sorted when I take it to the body shop to finalize the exterior.
Old 12-05-14, 12:54 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I handled the same issue with a fiberglass tipped rust removal pen and Lexus touch up paint I got on Amazon. I removed the rust and touched all the spots up. It looks much better and will be fully sorted when I take it to the body shop to finalize the exterior.
Genius. Thanks a lot! I just want it protected until I fix it. Hope I won't have to repaint the whole car. The clear coat is still good, some sun swirls and what not, but nice. As you can see, the small dent has that deep slit that I need to protect from this Chicago weather.

I will get the correct color code touch up paint and that pen you mentioned.
Old 12-05-14, 02:03 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats and Welcome to the forums...
Old 12-06-14, 08:51 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice find my friend. very clean. what type of wheels do you plan on putting on the car

Quick Reply: NEWBIE just bought an SC400