SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Advice on 97 5 speed FS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-14, 04:01 PM
Oxford
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 97 5 speed FS

Alright I am back on here back on the market for a SC300.

I ran into this local 1997 silver 5 speed with black interior. They want $6500 (dealer). Do you guys think this is a fair price? I remember I sold my 95 pearl white SC for around $4500 and it was in awesome condition.

Details:
-SC300
-Silver
-164K miles
-Clean title (need to double check it)
-Black Interior
-5 Speed

Anyways any input is appreciated (good or bad) just been looking around and found this one.

Thanks!!
Old 11-27-14, 04:08 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Advise is: BUY IT

..talk the dealer down as much as you can, but I know the one you're talking about. It looks pretty mint I'd buy it myself as soon as I can sell my current SC
Old 11-27-14, 04:23 PM
Oxford
Driver

^^Yeah I honestly was just bored on the internet and ran into it.
I will go check it out and if it seems decent I probably will.
Old 11-28-14, 08:45 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that's my color combo, nice find. Pricey, but original 97 5 speeds are considering there's only 120 of them. Keep it stock, keep it clean.
Old 11-28-14, 10:03 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

If all of the registration and title facts hold true, claiming a true '97 5 sp is indeed a find. The $6500 starting sounds a bit high and you will need to plan on another $5-10K in repairs and maintenance.

If my wife would let me I'd fly there now, buy it, drive it home, and start planning out the build plan.... (Alas, no way...).
Old 11-28-14, 03:04 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

That's a very rare combination. I'm not so sure $6500 is too high for the ASKING price for a 97 5-speed. Of course, try to negotiate down at the dealer and certainly verify maintenance records, car fax and all the other usual suspects to help on this end. Obviously don't come out and mention to the dealer about exactly how rare the 97 manual model actually is. Chances are they aren't aware of anything more than SC300 manuals being rare in general.

You likely won't find one again for a while.

Maintenance and some cosmetic reconditioning aside the mileage is nothing to worry about long term.
Old 11-28-14, 09:59 PM
Twirl
Pole Position

Thats 1-120 ever made...buy it...but beat him down and rip that car apart..point out every flaw and how much the repairs are...chances are he knows nothing about our cars...
Old 11-29-14, 11:56 AM
Oxford
Driver

Well I just got back from the dealership. I gotta say it was alright but certainly not worth $6500. Few issues I noticed:

-Flaws all over the body (dents, some spots clear coat was peeling, antenna hole was peeling around the antenna)
-Appears to have an oil leak around the distributor
-Chipped windshield
-Driver seat is stuck (probably bad motor)
-Slight misfire

Overall decent but was not really impressed, also the dealership guy was well aware of how rare that car is and was quite proud to say "you will never find one this nice again." They would only come down in price to $6100. Have to say I will probably pass on this SC for now...
Old 11-29-14, 12:12 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Oxford
"you will never find one this nice again."
Old 11-29-14, 01:44 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Thats really too bad. Some dealers are real arrogant ******.

..I guess it'll someone with a bit extra cash to spend to pick this diamond in the rough up and restore it. I really hope it goes to someone on the forum that will appreciate it, rather than some random grandpa off the street.
Old 11-30-14, 12:12 PM
Oxford
Driver

^^True but it would have been most of the panels of the car that would need work. They all either had dings/scratches/touch up paint. It would of been nice to pick it up but I'll keep looking. Honestly besides the car, the guys at the dealership where not the greatest guys to deal with......
Old 11-30-14, 03:29 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you walked away. Although some of these things are "easy fixes" they can be costly. Good body work isn't cheap at all. And what happens if the misfire fix isn't as easy as it could be.... You could have a $6000 lemon. The fact that the dealership is selling it for $6,100 with a misfire is just disrespectful.
Old 12-02-14, 07:56 PM
leonsup
Driver

Have you checked the CL classifieds?
Old 03-02-15, 09:30 PM
Oxford
Driver

Well lets fast forward to today..........Been saving, still looking for a decent second car, browsing CG look what I found again!!!
( *** CraigList Link Removed *** )

I am half temped to drive over there with $5500 cash and see what happens. Although I am wondering why they've had it so long. Or if they sold it and they returned it? Or maybe they have been daily driving it? Maybe they fixed the seat (the guy kept complaining his boss was a jew about fixing the cars on the lot).......lots of unknowns but I still want a nice manual SC like no ones business.....

Input???

Last edited by gerrb; 03-03-15 at 02:34 AM. Reason: No External For Sale Links Please
Old 03-02-15, 10:08 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Can't hurt to swing by and see if they've fixed the misfire yet.
Also what happened to the front end? Why is one of the headlights yellowing and faded and the other clear and normal? Usually this means there was front end damage and one of the headlights was replaced. This is something to look into as it can affect the sales value.

But yeah go by there with your number cash in hand and see what they'll say. If they have trouble moving it and you're always there with the same offer they may fold eventually. I'd be very hesitant buying a car with a misfire. Could be as simple as spark plugs, igniter coil, distributor, or plug wires, or could be much more complicated and expensive. But making a second offer won't hurt.

Quick Reply: Advice on 97 5 speed FS