SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Aftermarket steering wheel retaining cruise how to!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 01:33 PM
jordaninwi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket steering wheel retaining cruise how to!

So this is actually going to be my second post in club lexus, the first being my introduction. My name is Jordan and back in June I bought a 95 SC400. Well about a month ago I wanted to put in a Nardi steering wheel in my SC but didnt want to lose my cruise control as I do quite a bit of highway driving and like being able to kick back a little on long trips.

Here is what you are going to need!

-Aftermarket steering wheel of choice
-Steering wheel adapter (I used a cheap $10 one that fit celicas and MR2's)
-Two small momentary on switches
-soldering gun and solder
-basic hand tools and wire cutters/ stripper
-electrical tape

Before I start, I am going to assume you already have your old wheel off.

First i started by undoing all the wiring under the air bag and unclipping and unscrewing it until all I had was the harness and the cruise control switch. You will probably have to cut the horn wire from where it is rivited and grounded to the internal frame of the airbag/ horn button. I then carefully pried apart the box that houses the cruise control switches and was left with something that looks like this.

Now that that is said and done, I then actually cut off three tabs that were switches so I was only left with the main circuit board that has the three resistors on it. This is in an effort to make it as compact as possible to fit behind the cover of the steering wheel adapter.

Now I got two peices of wire the same length and my soldering gun heated up. The two wires you are going to solder to the board are going to be for the "Set" function of the circuit. I chose to only wire up the "on/off" and the "set" parts. If a person wanted to it would be easy to also add two more switches for the "cancel" and the "accel" functions. Here you can see there soldered my two wires into place on the board.

Now I took the cover that goes over the hub adapter and drilled two small holes for my two Radio Shack Sub-Mini switches to fit into.

Now its time to solder your switches in. Off the Circuit board there will be an existing two white wires. Those will be sent to the same switch as the "On/off" function. Then the two wires you soldered onto the board will be soldered to the second switch for the "set" function. Once I finised soldering all my connections I covered the entire board with electrical tape well so that it couldnt come into contace or ground out on the steering wheel hub adapter.

Now you can slip on your hub adapter and fasten it down. it might take a little trickery to get all the wires to fit under the cover but they will and do fit. You can then put on the steering wheel and you should be left with a product like this...

Hopefully I explained everything well enough to understand how it works. If you have any questions about this setup I will try my best to answer questions!
Old 11-11-14, 07:12 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent! I planned to do this to mine at some point but never got around to it.
Old 11-11-14, 09:50 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a clever idea...nice job!
Old 11-11-14, 11:47 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome this should be a STICKY
Old 11-20-14, 08:20 PM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Or if you are feeling lazy & have some spare coin HKB have a boss kit which retains cruise control & has the buttons built in part # OT-135.
Old 11-21-14, 09:43 PM
danegerous
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is rad. Can I send you my cruise stalk, a hub, and some monies to do this for me?

hahah
Old 02-18-15, 03:08 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to dig up this thread but.....

Are the Supra/MR2/SC boss kits the same for the GS?

Will this DIY work for the GS too?

Thanks.