SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anybody else have rust on the roof at the top of the windshield???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-14, 08:57 PM
eblick99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could use it as an excuse to grind it out, weld over it, then weld a plate in place of the sunroof and do a hardtop conversion...since youre welding and painting might as well
Old 11-13-14, 09:08 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Didn't mean that you would have it blow out, but that could be a possibility under certain conditions. Meant that it could break the glass. In unibody structure the roof is engineered to be part of the total support of the car. That is why convertibles have extra support built into them. As long as the sub structure under the roof cap is still solid then it should be ok. Bondo alone is only a temporary fix to original and rust always should be cut out & fixed correctly. If you don't get rid of the cancer it will continue to grow. Just a little advice from an experienced body tech, hope I didn't offend.
no offense taken, yea that is the right way to do it, but the rust was only on the top layer of the roof that barely touches the glass at all, everything underneath is solid, i cut away and sanded as much as i could, then sprayed with whatever "rust-inhibitor" BS i could find to cover up the little spots, then fiberglass inside the hole to give it structure, and fiberglass on top, then bondo to even it out. so it's pretty sturdy in there i'd say.
Old 11-13-14, 09:20 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I've never seen that on a SC and i live in Minnesnowta 0.0..

Cut it out or don't waste your time. Even if its a corner, not worth doing any fix in my opinion,
on a Lexus especially

I would also check local junk yards for cheap complete roof(maybe you'll find one sunroofless)
Goodluck!
Old 11-13-14, 09:53 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
no offense taken, yea that is the right way to do it, but the rust was only on the top layer of the roof that barely touches the glass at all, everything underneath is solid, i cut away and sanded as much as i could, then sprayed with whatever "rust-inhibitor" BS i could find to cover up the little spots, then fiberglass inside the hole to give it structure, and fiberglass on top, then bondo to even it out. so it's pretty sturdy in there i'd say.
Yes, that should hold it for quite awhile,but watch for rust forming under the edge of the glass, that can put pressure on it.
Old 11-14-14, 12:16 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Yes, that should hold it for quite awhile,but watch for rust forming under the edge of the glass, that can put pressure on it.
yep i know, that's why my windshield is cracked near the rust. once i replace the windshield i'll clean the roof up more, but it's holding well now and no more rust is popping up. eventually down the line maybe i'll weld a new roof in, we'll see.
Old 11-14-14, 08:48 AM
OBEEWON
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eblick99
could use it as an excuse to grind it out, weld over it, then weld a plate in place of the sunroof and do a hardtop conversion...since youre welding and painting might as well
Why does everyone hate sunroofs so much? I love mine. I drive at the track with it open.
Old 11-14-14, 02:50 PM
Equalizir
Driver

I had a new windshield put in my '05 Scion and me and the installer got to talking about windshields. Basically the windshield is suspended and not being held by anything but the glue. So even if the top is rusting it won't affect the windshield in any way.
Old 11-22-14, 12:25 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your going to have too get rid of all that rust first or its going to get worse.
Old 11-23-14, 03:11 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 93 had that issue, Id never seen it before. Guess that repair went hand in hand with the sunroof delete. Obeeown, personal preference, just dont like the look of a hunk of glass sitting on the top of a sports car.

Last edited by bigwhite; 11-25-14 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-25-14, 08:43 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

It's usually a situation of a repaired or repainted spot where you find rust on an SC. Otherwise it's a gasket failure around seams due to maintenance issues. SC's are coated in a paint process that makes them damn near rust proof. It does happen, but not usually without terrible northerly conditions and repairs on top of that.
Old 11-25-14, 02:56 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
It's usually a situation of a repaired or repainted spot where you find rust on an SC. Otherwise it's a gasket failure around seams due to maintenance issues. SC's are coated in a paint process that makes them damn near rust proof. It does happen, but not usually without terrible northerly conditions and repairs on top of that.
one word, salt. it kills absolutely everything and anything. even newer cars, especially kias and hyundais are rusty in 2-3 years, i worked at a car wash and was surprised at how rusty even some newer cars were.
Old 11-25-14, 06:08 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

that would be the northerly conditions. Even so SC's hold up against it much better than anything else.
Old 12-17-14, 08:00 PM
JPJJPJ
Driver School Candidate

I drove a 1992 SC 400 412,000 klms and had the problem near the end of
the vehicles time with me. On my current 93 400, as I have with all subsequent
vehicles had clear, bullet proof plastic. The particular area you are
having trouble with is a flying stone magnet, and once repaired recommend the
film, gutter to gutter and up to the edge of the slider. Problem solved
Old 01-02-15, 06:43 PM
JPJJPJ
Driver School Candidate

Default Rust above windsheild

I drove a 1992 SC for years and the initiation of problem
is an unattended stone chip. I saw the chip and said I'll get
it later, then one day when going through the car wash ... my mirror began to leak

I now have installed clear bulletproof lexan film across the
hood, grill, lenses, back of mirrors and from the windshield top
to the edge of the slider, gutter to gutter. This is on all of
my cars but the most recent is my 93 SC.

Costs a lot less than paint and protects the whole front.
Old 11-05-16, 03:37 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
I had a leak on the corner of my window, the previous owner had used silicone. I got the leak fixed, and underneath was a bit of rust, the guys who fixed it said silicone will eat the paint and cause rust after a while, they used a different type of sealant, not sure exactly what though.
Anyone know what that alternative sealant might be? Some sort of windshield goop?

I finally found the source of a very small leak, to the tune of a drip or two an hour. I sat in the car several times during rain storms, trying to catch it in the act somewhere above the mirror, but didn't find it until today after deleting the sunroof and eliminating all the related stuff. Turns out, there's a spot a couple inches long at the top right corner of the glass that's allowing moisture to seep through.

There's no rust evident along the roof line. The car has been hit on both fenders over the years, so it wouldn't surprise me if the glass seal was disturbed. I was thinking I would caulk the inside of the glass/roof lip with silicone when it dries out outside, but wasn't sure what to do about the exterior channel where the water is coming from.

That curved metal trim piece that slides into the groove doesn't do much to seal it, so I assume it's designed to get wet in there, meaning the actual seal is below the trim piece. (The trim piece isn't terribly difficult to get out, but super annoying to slide back in because of the curvature having to line up with all the little clips along the way.) I could probably slide it out just a few inches to the left, exposing the right corner and adding some sort of sealant in there, assuming I can even locate the source of a leak that small.