SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anybody else have rust on the roof at the top of the windshield???

Old 11-08-14, 10:06 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Anybody else have rust on the roof at the top of the windshield???

I'm rather pissed off about this.

My car is a 1992 SC300/5 speed. 83k miles on it, always garage kept, I'm the 2nd owner, I have a whole stack of maintenance records. This car iis a real cream puff, except for this stupid rusty roof.

Back in the mid 90's, this car suffered a chipped or cracked windshield according to my maintenance records provided by the previous owner. The windshield was replaced, but along that top leading edge of the roof, I think they used a non oem trim piece, with no sealent against the painted metal. So this lead to water collecting in the windshield header, causing rust and paint bubbling.

Now I know rust along the rear wheel arches is just plain ugly, but doesn't pose any sort of significant usability problem for your car. Now rust against that top windshield gasket, if you let it go, it will rust through that seal, letting moisture/water into your interior.

Main thing I'm concerned about, is can you match that pearl white.
Old 11-09-14, 02:03 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I have a spot of rust on the top where the rubber seal of the windshield touches the paint. It's not huge but a good size under the paint. My car is a '99 Sc300. I bought the car in California but didn't know till after I got home to Vegas that it was a New York car or at least was in New York originally. I also have a spot of rust on one fender. It sucks but im getting the car painted next year. Might be a common place where rust can develop.

Pearl white paint jobs are expensive. It's a three layered process. I know because I also own a 2012 Toyota Venza in pearl white. Some deuche bag scratched the side all up. Cost $1600 to repaint one door and a part of another door. They have to blend the area to make it look good. Unfortunately you might have to get whole roof painting. Also research to find a good shop that can do the pearl white.

Last edited by Equalizir; 11-09-14 at 02:09 AM.
Old 11-09-14, 04:20 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a leak on the corner of my window, the previous owner had used silicone. I got the leak fixed, and underneath was a bit of rust, the guys who fixed it said silicone will eat the paint and cause rust after a while, they used a different type of sealant, not sure exactly what though.
Old 11-09-14, 08:08 AM
eblick99
Driver

my rear windshield has a spot of bubbling under the paint on the top pass side, about the size of a dime. not really sure what to do about it otger than sand it down and fill it? maybe spot weld and smooth?its right along the rear window seal.
Old 11-09-14, 09:55 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any repair on the roof will require the whole roof being repainted then blended in with the A and C pillars.
Old 11-09-14, 10:49 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by czar07
any repair on the roof will require the whole roof being repainted then blended in with the A and C pillars.
The A pillar is on the door on this car. Not sure why you would "have" to paint that as well.
Old 11-09-14, 08:21 PM
eblick99
Driver

Originally Posted by czar07

my car needs paint so its a good time to find that kind of thing i guess.
Old 11-09-14, 11:28 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

you guys are gonna love this.

before, on both sides like this btw

and after

that's not even the bad ones, my quarter panels had holes that i could stick my arm through and reach inside the trunk lol.

here's how that looked before ebay "matched" paint that didn't match

Old 11-10-14, 06:04 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The A pillar is on the door on this car. Not sure why you would "have" to paint that as well.
You are correct. Im not sure if they would blend it or not though?
Old 11-10-14, 08:13 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Paint

Did you ever find paint that matched and where? I have the same problem but not as bad.
Old 11-11-14, 09:23 AM
eblick99
Driver

geez that rust was really bad. i better deal with that soon. i had some of the faded spots on my car resprayed and the new bumper/side skirts matched at a body shop and it looks perfect. time to visit those guys again
Old 11-12-14, 05:54 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OLDMANTAN: I hope you pulled the windshield & re-metaled the pinchweld, if not you could lose your glass some day. & I was embaressed to show ya'll the little bit of surface rust I had to fix on mine. I've bought cars from the coast, that body was in great shape but rotted around the windshield do to sea air & salt.
Old 11-12-14, 11:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
OLDMANTAN: I hope you pulled the windshield & re-metaled the pinchweld, if not you could lose your glass some day. & I was embaressed to show ya'll the little bit of surface rust I had to fix on mine. I've bought cars from the coast, that body was in great shape but rotted around the windshield do to sea air & salt.
i did no such thing, but i dont get how air or anything could pull the windshield off if it's at the top of the windshield? there's still like 40 inches of original roof holding the windshield, and the rust never went completely through, there's still raw metal touching the windshield in all areas.
Old 11-13-14, 06:09 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

well. my sc has this issue too.
seems like some bondo is the way to go for the fix?
sure seems easier than pulling the windshield and welding in new metal
at least if it is only a corner (like what I have)
Old 11-13-14, 08:36 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i did no such thing, but i dont get how air or anything could pull the windshield off if it's at the top of the windshield? there's still like 40 inches of original roof holding the windshield, and the rust never went completely through, there's still raw metal touching the windshield in all areas.
Didn't mean that you would have it blow out, but that could be a possibility under certain conditions. Meant that it could break the glass. In unibody structure the roof is engineered to be part of the total support of the car. That is why convertibles have extra support built into them. As long as the sub structure under the roof cap is still solid then it should be ok. Bondo alone is only a temporary fix to original and rust always should be cut out & fixed correctly. If you don't get rid of the cancer it will continue to grow. Just a little advice from an experienced body tech, hope I didn't offend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody else have rust on the roof at the top of the windshield???