SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Noise issue is just getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 05:51 PM
mtommer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise issue is just getting worse

Awhile back I posted a thread about a noise I heard that seemed to be sheet metal vibrating. At the time, the people who replied seemed to think it was probably a heat shield.

However, overtime, this sound has gotten worse and worse. Not just louder but now it's occurring almost all the time whereas before it would only happen infrequently. The funny thing is, my brother's 2001 Camry has the same sound I noticed (although far quieter).

On top of that, now when I drive I hear a sound coming from the rear that can only be described as a rubbing. I though perhaps it might be a caliper with a worn pad hitting the rotor at a certain point. I got under the car today, inspected the brakes, they're fine, poked and prodded so to speak, and I'm just not seeing anything that is throwing any red flags up upon visual inspection. I'm also starting to get surges in power as I press the gas pedal when I start driving. While I was under there I also checked every heat shield I could reach and everything seems tight. By this point, I would imagine something would be loose whereas before when I checked, due to the lower sound point, it may have taken expansion to "loosen" things up to create the vibration sound.

So, just a little background, I'm mechanically inclined but hardly a mechanic. With the issue the rubbing issue I hear from the back, with the continuing escalation of the vibration "clang" sound, my shifter handle also "clunks" a smidge after about a sec. of being moved between gears (it happens at all points but this may be the norm and I just noticed it due to my rising scrutiny trying to figure things out), I'm starting to wonder if maybe this could all be transmission related or just multiple things occurring at once. I am contemplating having my ECU capacitors replaced as I'm on 155,000 miles but almost 20 yrs. old now.

Obviously a lot unknown and I have a lot inexperience with this car and any advice concerning anything I've mentioned would be helpful. Going through the lengthy list of stickies hasn't helped me too much for my specific issues aside from the possible ECU change that may help the power surging and I have used the stickies to help with other repairs so I have perused a bit.

Other helpful suggestions: Is the ECU repair shops suggested in stickies still a good option? Lower control arms, is the deciding factor on whether they should be replaced largely due to seeing cracks on visual inspection or is there another "common" indicator (I want to replaced the bushings and not sure if I can just use the current lca which look okay from what I saw).
Old 10-17-14, 07:54 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 speed? If so you may be losing a torque bolt on the flywheel, mine was chattering, pulled the tranny and they were loose.

Just tossin it out there, if you engage the clutch does the sound change when in neutral?
Old 10-17-14, 09:13 PM
mtommer
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I wish it were a stick. Stock SC400. Probably the base as there is no trac control and the radio isn't the premium Nakamachi..
Old 10-17-14, 11:22 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it a rotational noise? Like its rotating with the wheels or something? If so it might be wheel bearing. Way to check it is to put the car on jack stands, then try to push or lean on the wheels' 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock. There shouldn't be any play at all. The tiniest play is a confirmation that it is the wheel bearing.

The clunk on the other hand is/might be a different issue. It might be a worn differential rear bushing.

You're overthinking the ECU part to be honest. If you have a problematic ECU you'd know, 'cause you wouldn't even be able to start or drive the car at all.
Old 10-18-14, 08:15 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my flywheel chatters, people think its broken
Old 10-20-14, 02:42 PM
ems
Lead Lap

my flywheel sounded broken too, if i hadn't gotten to the bolts as fast as i did I would have had some serious damage. 2 bolts fell out when I took the clutch off.
Old 10-20-14, 08:39 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely check your wheel bearings, they will make noise like a bad brake when you apply your brakes. I've replaced 2 & will end up replacing the rest by the time I'm done with ole blue. Your diff may be worn for shift clunk, or bushings. Clanging heat shield noise may be broken ceramic in your cats, that prob happened to mine.
Old 10-21-14, 12:29 PM
mtommer
Driver School Candidate

I think the reality is that I just need to take it in and have it undergo a thorough inspection. I just hope I can find someone/place besides the LEXUS dealer (bad experience with them and pricing) that is familiar with the car. The wheel bearings I may be able take a look at myself, I did the wheel bearing replacement work on my previous Ford, but the trans is something beyond my current tools and setup to be able to pull and inspect. You guys have given me some places to start so thanks for your replies.
Old 10-22-14, 01:40 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Check your drive shaft center support bearing.
Old 10-24-14, 08:33 AM
TyStephens
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey! So I dont know if this could be your issue too but I found the source of my metal rattle. It seems that My front Cat has come partially loose, so when it heats up it starts to hear it then gets worse and worse. Ive had it for a month now and it keeps getting louder (I will straight pipe it shortly!)
Old 10-24-14, 02:26 PM
net4n6
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
Clanging heat shield noise may be broken ceramic in your cats, that prob happened to mine.
I think I have that problem too. The "clanging noise" went away after about 5 min after the engine/cats cool down.