SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Found the wheels i REALLY want...one issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 09:17 PM
92BlackSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run with and without hub rings. Just like the guys have said, if wheels were tightened using the star pattern, there shouldn't be a problem.

Justin
Old 10-23-14, 08:45 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you road race or autox your car? Get aluminum rings.

For street use? Plastic is fine.

The plastic ones like to melt at the track from heat. The vast majority of hub centric rings sold are plastic and work well for 99% of guys that never track their cars.

Whether you should run rings is a separate debate and tends to be controversial. I wouldn't drive without them personally but I don't know of anyone that has had bad outcomes from not running them.
Old 10-24-14, 08:43 AM
King700se
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Do you road race or autox your car? Get aluminum rings.

For street use? Plastic is fine.

The plastic ones like to melt at the track from heat. The vast majority of hub centric rings sold are plastic and work well for 99% of guys that never track their cars.

Whether you should run rings is a separate debate and tends to be controversial. I wouldn't drive without them personally but I don't know of anyone that has had bad outcomes from not running them.

Thanks for the input sir!
Old 10-24-14, 11:14 PM
adc27
Rookie

Spend the $5 and get some metal rings and don't worry about it.
Old 10-25-14, 09:02 AM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adc27
Spend the $5 and get some metal rings and don't worry about it.
This. Theyre not expensive at all, save yourself the worrying and get them
Old 10-25-14, 10:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I had metal rings on SSR Professors and they always got stuck to the hub or to the back of wheel. After spending hours trying to pry them off of the hubs and wheels I would recommend getting plastic rings.
Old 10-25-14, 06:35 PM
v8kaiju
Driver School Candidate

I've had aluminum centric rings on my subaru for years. they've been great.
Old 12-23-14, 02:55 PM
Powerline
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got some new wheels and the center bore is 73.1.. If im reading this tread correct than do I need to order 60.0mm hub rings? I get a vibration when going 60+mph.
Old 12-23-14, 03:25 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your at risk of having the aluminum kind seizing to the hub..
I stick to the plastic ones but to each there own..

The hub centric ring helps the wheel with vibrations I don't understand how this was covered within the first 5 post and people are still clueless?

If your new wheels are 73.1 YOU ORDER/BUY 60.1 to 73.1 hub centric rings.. Install and go that's it!
Old 12-23-14, 03:44 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

When I finally did get upgraded wheels from the stock OEM, after reading all of the various opinions on hub rings, I opted to narrow the selection to wheels that came with 60.1 hubs.

It does limit your choices, though, and with so many cool looking wheels on the market these days using hub rings for a street car sounds okay. Track and hard driving may not work so well....
Old 12-23-14, 09:17 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I've always assumed the common sense notion of hub rings reducing vibrations at speed to be correct, but now that I've thought about it a bit more, I'm beginning to think it's hogwash for most applications. If you're running stock wheels, they'll generally be the right hub bore. That leaves us with two common scenarios:

1) Aftermarket wheels which are almost always the largest common hub bore. These will usually be acorn style lugs, from what I've seen, and are basically impossible to tighten off-center unless the lug holes themselves are uneven. If that happens, you've probably got bigger issues with garbage wheels.

2) Stock wheels from another vehicle. If these are also acorn style lugs, as has been the case for me with both of my Nissan and Ford experiences, then you still have no problem as long as that make uses a larger center bore than Toyota/Lexus' 60.1 mm. (Otherwise, you're screwed unless you want to risk machining out the center hole.) If they're flat seated lugs like Toyota/Lexus uses, then you'll certainly benefit from the hub rings to keep them centered.

The reason it dawned on me is two-fold. One, I asked Les Schwab recently if they sold hub rings, since I was replacing my full size spare with a Nissan donut (66.1 mm). They said they never use hub rings. That means the millions of cars out there with aftermarket wheels and no complaints of vibrations don't know they supposedly need them... Second, I thought back to all the aftermarket wheels I've had, and it occurred to me that I never had hub rings for any of them. Nor did I ever experience vibrations.

You want a challenge, try finding Mustang Cobra 70.3 mm to Toyota/Lexus 60.1 mm hub rings... I finally found a place that can custom produce them for $10.50 ea in plastic.
Old 12-24-14, 04:34 AM
Equalizir
Driver

If you get the wheels at a shop they usually have the rings in stock.
Old 12-24-14, 07:00 AM
durps
Lead Lap

Get plastic rings, alum ones are a ***** to take off. Especially if you havent removed them in a while.
Old 12-24-14, 11:16 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 2 sets of aftermarket wheels for both Sc's. I have never experienced any vibration issues. My Work wheels are discontinued and very little information exists about them. I also have another set of rare wheels that have little information available about them. Other than looking for that info online, is there any way to tell if my wheels require these adaptors?
I am using spacers in the rear, I assume because these are "Hub Centric", I won't have to worry about the rings the rear.
Old 12-24-14, 03:25 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I am using spacers in the rear, I assume because these are "Hub Centric", I won't have to worry about the rings the rear.
I don't think spacers will change anything in that respect. They'll fit over the hub's little lip that the ring fits on, and have the same little lip on them for the wheel to fit on. Now, if someone made spacers with different sized lips to also serve the function of hub rings...

Quick Reply: Found the wheels i REALLY want...one issue