SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Getting car on 4 jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 08:39 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting car on 4 jack stands

This might be a silly question, but what is the proper procedure for getting the car up on all 4 jack stands. I'm aware of the front jacking point as I've used it a million times, but is it safe to lift the rear of the car while the front is sitting on jack stands? Do both sides need to be done at the same time to keep the car level? Or can I lift the rear while the front is in the air without fearing that the car will just slide backwards and crush me? (Yes I really have convinced myself that this will happen).

I know being lowered just compounds this problem but I've already got a set of 2x4 ramps I can use to get each wheel higher off the ground so it can clear my jack, I'm just curious because I want to do motor and tranny mounts in the next month or so and I'd like to do them at the same time as I do the diff bushings, and maybe do SS brake lines on the same jack since all but the diff. bushings will be a simple and quick job once the car is up.

Anyways I'd like to get comfortable getting all 4 corners of the car raised, especially since I already have 2 jacks and 4 jack stands but never used them all at the same time, so if anyone has any input I'd love to hear it.
Old 09-24-14, 09:05 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm always curious what all the safe jacking points are. I usually use the corner points from the owner's manual instructions, but mechanics seem to prefer subframe and control arm points. That might open up some options for you to jack from the center of the car to keep it level instead of doing one corner at a time.

If you can figure out the ground clearance, you could also use a set of ramps to get one end up in the air and stable, then jack the other end up from a center point.
Old 09-24-14, 09:42 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the factory jack points front and rear. When I put my car on all 4's, I generally do the front first, and then jack the drivers side rear and slip the stand under. I have never had an issue switching sides with only 3 jacks under the car while moving to the passenger side.

I have however had issues using the diff and it sliding. I have had my car up on all 4's many times going front to rear, just make sure your front jacks are sitting level.
Old 09-24-14, 09:51 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
I use the factory jack points front and rear. When I put my car on all 4's, I generally do the front first, and then jack the drivers side rear and slip the stand under. I have never had an issue switching sides with only 3 jacks under the car while moving to the passenger side.

I have however had issues using the diff and it sliding. I have had my car up on all 4's many times going front to rear, just make sure your front jacks are sitting level.
Oh thanks a lot, this is exactly what I was worried about, I never thought of jacking the rear one corner at a time after lifting the front.

Originally Posted by t2d2
I'm always curious what all the safe jacking points are. I usually use the corner points from the owner's manual instructions, but mechanics seem to prefer subframe and control arm points. That might open up some options for you to jack from the center of the car to keep it level instead of doing one corner at a time.
I've always jacked from the subframe and crossmember, I've just never had both sides up before and was worried about the car sliding off if I jacked from the diff or rear crossmember while the front was up since as soon as the tires were off the groudn the car would be tilted with nothing but my jack stopping it from trying to roll/slide backwards.

Old 09-25-14, 09:25 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried to find an answer for you when you posted. I looked all over and did not find anything close to how smart the above idea is. I didn't think of that either!

Thanks turbodremz!
Old 09-25-14, 09:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

one jack at a time bud, one jack at a time.
doing the front first is good advice, that way it doesn't move around too much during the lifting.
Old 09-25-14, 09:56 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Also keep in mind once the front is up, when you jack up the rear drivers side, it will raise the entire back of the car. So if you have 2 sets of hands, you can set the rear jack under both sides at the same time. Had my other pair of jack stands not been stolen, I would make a quick video.
Old 09-25-14, 10:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah that is a good point, the suspension is tight that happens often. also when lifting all 4 corners there is a lot of weight on the jacks and I find that the lift points on the pinch welds have a tendancy to crush when lifting from all 4 corners. so be carefull where you place the jacks you don't want them going through your rocker panel if you miss the strong spot on the pinch weld. this is why mechanics often use the arms or the subframes or rear diff to lift, because you won't crush the pinch welds that way and some people get upset when that happens. you can cover the mistakes with a side skirt but for those that don't have them you may want to be more careful.
Old 09-25-14, 10:58 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

^^^^Im a prime example of the destroyed pinch welds, although havent gone through the floor or panels yet..but it does look like I ran over a few sledge hammers.
Old 09-25-14, 12:33 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ha I just crushed my drivers side fender jacking up at the pinch welds...
Old 09-25-14, 02:53 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I've crushed like 3 corners of pinch welds.
Old 09-25-14, 09:52 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

all my corners are crushed, but they were already when i got the car. so now i just stuff the jack and stands in the flat part where the pinch welds used to be, but now it's just flat and nice and thick there lol.
Old 09-25-14, 09:56 PM
toyoboy120
Rookie

I have always used sub frames and diff to jack the car. Also I like to use the subframe for stands as well, just had my sc on stands for a month and used front/rear subframes. And all my pinch welds are in perfect shape.
Old 09-25-14, 10:47 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toyoboy120
I have always used sub frames and diff to jack the car. Also I like to use the subframe for stands as well, just had my sc on stands for a month and used front/rear subframes. And all my pinch welds are in perfect shape.
Yeah lol I always put my jackstands on the subframe. Whenever I get around to Supra LCA's though I may have to put the jack stands on the corner and prepare for a pinch weld or two to crush. So far all of my pinch welds are pristine. I guess the PO's all used the subframe as well or had shops do all of their work. Who knows, but I honestly don't care too much since my skirts cover them up.
Old 09-26-14, 04:55 PM
sc315
Driver School Candidate

Something I do if there are two jacks handy Is use one as an extra safety support while jacking the other side.

Quick Reply: Getting car on 4 jack stands