Is this a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 11:28 AM
Equalizir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good deal?

Hi guys,
This is my first post. I don't own an SC yet but am shopping for one right now. I found this one that I wanted your opinions on. Its got a new paint job and he says it has no dents or dings. I noticed in the pictures that the engine bay is white and the door sills are white. I asked him if the car was white before and he stated no and that it was normal for it to be that way. Since I don't know I also was wondering what you guys think about that and even if it was a white car does it matter? I personally prefer it to be all one color but I love the color it is now and the fact it has a black interior is a big time plus. Also he has it at best offer should i ask lower? Thanks in advance guys. I'm hoping to post back soon that I'm a proud owner of an sc400.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4602345384.html
Old 08-18-14, 11:52 AM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

I truthfully think that's pretty overpriced for what they're going for. I paid 3 for my 95 sc400 "150000" miles and probably the same quality interior as that one, except in tan and the back seats are not wrinkled. He's trying to get what he put in. Which seems like a lot unless he's counting how much he paid for it? Because all I see is an intake on a 1uz and a few new hoses? Along with the sc430 wheels and tinted rears. Car was most likely repainted judging by the engine bay like you said. I bought mine white, went to register it, and found out it was green lol. They painted everything besides behind the trunk liner and under the interior. If I was you, I'd pass tbh... Just my $0.02

Edit: my car was " in great mechanical shape" as well. Replaced the starter a couple months after I bought it and a few other things that I had to fix. Maybe that's just a coincidence combined with my luck...

Last edited by BeaksSC; 08-18-14 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-18-14, 12:08 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Car was repainted. He's lying to you about the engine bay and door sills being normal color. If he's lying about this, what else is he hiding from you?
Old 08-18-14, 12:11 PM
Equalizir
Driver

@BeaksSc I appreciate the advice! Thank you. I think you're right on the fact that hes trying to get the money that he's invested in it. I don't like the fact that he lied to me about the paint. I've been working on cars for over twenty years. I'm not a dummy I just didn't want to jump the gun. I asked him whats the lowest he would go on it but he told me we'd discuss it when I came down to test drive it. He's had it listed for a couple of weeks now so I think he'll take less...
Old 08-18-14, 12:13 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by DanielDD
Car was repainted. He's lying to you about the engine bay and door sills being normal color. If he's lying about this, what else is he hiding from you?
You're right and that's a good point. I asked him for the vin number and he told me he'd give it to me later. I also asked him where in San-Diego he is twice and he would'nt tell me. Kinda weird...
Old 08-18-14, 12:34 PM
iContango
Driver School Candidate

Overpriced; Non-accomodating seller. Walk away now.
Old 08-18-14, 12:36 PM
Equalizir
Driver

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4615894022.html

What do u guys think about this one? Mileage seems kinda low...
Old 08-18-14, 12:42 PM
iContango
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Equalizir
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/4615894022.html

What do u guys think about this one? Mileage seems kinda low...
Mileage is REALLY low - I would wonder about that as well. Odo fraud is very prevalent.

Beyond that though - are you OK with the exterior color, interior color? Will you be in the long term? It is always better to take your time looking for the right one, as opposed to jumping on any that are available.
Old 08-18-14, 12:58 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're gonna go as far as San Diego, might as well get mines. Most of the maintenance and repair stuff has been done to it, that you will more likely have to deal with and spend thousands on with these cars. I'm just selling mine cause I have 2 already, and I'm in need of a 4 door sedan or an SUV. It has been a good daily for me for the last 4 years. LMK

Here's the build thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...lue-flame.html

And here's the ad: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...995-sc400.html
Old 08-18-14, 01:10 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by iContango
Overpriced; Non-accomodating seller. Walk away now.
Thanks! Yeah I've already decided to pass on it. I was just excited becauase I know how rare the black interior is and I like that Midnight Indigo pearl color. I am going to look at the other car I listed on here. It's a small dealer but he's going to give it to me for $3500 out the door. It only has 65,000 miles.
Old 08-18-14, 01:13 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
If you're gonna go as far as San Diego, might as well get mines. Most of the maintenance and repair stuff has been done to it, that you will more likely have to deal with and spend thousands on with these cars. I'm just selling mine cause I have 2 already, and I'm in need of a 4 door sedan or an SUV. It has been a good daily for me for the last 4 years. LMK

Here's the build thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...lue-flame.html

And here's the ad: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...995-sc400.html
Thanks Daniel. I'll definitely keep your car in mind when I'm down there. This is my last trip to Cali this year and I'm not coming back empty handed lol.
Old 08-18-14, 01:14 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

def overpriced. i got mine with the same miles, and with coilovers, TT brakes all around and many more expensive things for half that price.

the second one seems to be in great shape but again ask for the VIN then go on the Lexus owners website, you can sign up and put the VIN of the car in and it will tell you when maintenance was done and at what miles. hopefully they took it to the dealership while the car was still on warranty.
Old 08-18-14, 01:40 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by iContango
Mileage is REALLY low - I would wonder about that as well. Odo fraud is very prevalent.

Beyond that though - are you OK with the exterior color, interior color? Will you be in the long term? It is always better to take your time looking for the right one, as opposed to jumping on any that are available.
To be honest I'm not wild about the color. My favorite is that Midnight indigo pearl. I used to love the white pearl but I found out that it's super expensive to repaint a car in that color. I still have other cars I'm looking at. The search continues...
Old 08-18-14, 01:41 PM
iContango
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Equalizir
To be honest I'm not wild about the color. My favorite is that Midnight indigo pearl. I used to love the white pearl but I found out that it's super expensive to repaint a car in that color. I still have other cars I'm lookijng at. The search continues...
Good move - definitely wait for a color you want. Good luck!
Old 08-18-14, 01:42 PM
Equalizir
Driver

Originally Posted by oldManTan
def overpriced. i got mine with the same miles, and with coilovers, TT brakes all around and many more expensive things for half that price.

the second one seems to be in great shape but again ask for the VIN then go on the Lexus owners website, you can sign up and put the VIN of the car in and it will tell you when maintenance was done and at what miles. hopefully they took it to the dealership while the car was still on warranty.
Thanks for the advice! I didn't even know that was possible.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal?