SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

lexus "spray paint"

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 02:57 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus "spray paint"

I was curious if any of the club lexus "on a budget" SC owners have experimented with this "automotive touchup aerosol" paint they sell online? I've got a troublesome spot on my drivers side quarter panel that has a flaking clearcoat. At this time I can't justify an expensive paint job to my wife. However I am intrigued by this discovery via a google search.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.
Old 08-05-14, 03:11 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Dude, thats crazy! I was looking at touch up paint on Amazon and wondering what is the best. I came back to Club Lexus to search and see what kind is the best, I thought I was hallucinating when I saw your post!

They have aerosol, pen and "brush on". I wonder what is best?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 08-05-14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 03:14 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

haha.. that's funny... I think we're both looking for the same color as well. I found a spot called carspraypaintshop via google. The directions on the website are somewhat vague in my opinion. I'd link, but I know that's not allowed. Take a look. Let me know what you think
Old 08-05-14, 03:20 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Here's my trouble spot.

Old 08-05-14, 03:32 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

I'm thinking I should just be the guinea pig and give it a go. It already looks not much to lose
Old 08-05-14, 03:38 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Someone who knows better should chime in. My instincts feel that spot may be a bit large for touch up paint but who knows. For that I'd try a body shop. They will try to paint the whole fender, but i'd tell them I surely could not afford it and ask if they could do something with the spot.
Here are my spots... one actually is a dent and needs bond. The other is a scratch.
Attached Thumbnails lexus "spray paint"-img_4932.jpg   lexus "spray paint"-img_4935.jpg  
Old 08-05-14, 03:40 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

turrible! lol
Old 08-05-14, 03:45 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Hold off jomosc400. Lets see if someone who has done it chimes in. Give it a couple days to get some data posted up.
Old 08-05-14, 07:32 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My suggestion would be to let a professional do it. Going the aerosol route will leave you wishing for a better outcome, especially if the rest of your car's paint is in good shape. A well done paint job, as you know is expensive. A suggestion to lower your costs is to sand down the fender yourself and prep is with some spray on primer and THEN allow the body shop to spray it for you. Most of the cost is involved in the prep work and if you can do that, then you may find a body shop willing to spray it for you at nominal cost.

Can't hurt to ask around to several body shops. Another route would be to contact the technical schools in your area and let them (the auto body students) do it for you. They have the equipment, HVLP systems to do it right and they will usually do it for the cost of materials.

Best of luck!
Old 08-05-14, 07:39 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DanielDD
My suggestion would be to let a professional do it. Going the aerosol route will leave you wishing for a better outcome, especially if the rest of your car's paint is in good shape. A well done paint job, as you know is expensive. A suggestion to lower your costs is to sand down the fender yourself and prep is with some spray on primer and THEN allow the body shop to spray it for you. Most of the cost is involved in the prep work and if you can do that, then you may find a body shop willing to spray it for you at nominal cost.

Can't hurt to ask around to several body shops. Another route would be to contact the technical schools in your area and let them (the auto body students) do it for you. They have the equipment, HVLP systems to do it right and they will usually do it for the cost of materials.

Best of luck!
Good advice.....

I'm going to talk to my body guy before I touch it.

Thank you
Old 08-05-14, 10:59 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Geek you require body filler on the dents, sandable ultra fill primer, base coat clear coat for your problem. Jomo you may be able to wet sand your clear coat down with 600 grit sand paper, don't sand thru color coat. tape off fender and a good brand of spray can clearcoat apply 3 or 4 coats to fender (sand the whole fender) cover well any where you don't want over spray. let paint cure for a month the n sand with 1200 grit & buff with rubbing compound. use fill & glaze wax to remove buffing swirls when done. Or bring it to NW Pa & I'll paint it for you.
Old 08-06-14, 06:07 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife works at a "regional educational center" which offers vo-tech classes to high school people, i.e. welding, health care, auto mechanics, machinery, auto painting.
They are obviously taught by professionals.
It's a little risky, but she found out that we can get any car painted if we pay for the paint +30% of the paint cost for supplies.
It'd take about a month to do , but we're seriously considering it.

If you want to try that out, they would definitely be cheaper and you'd have a good chance for a decent job at a great price... just an option I'm throwing out there if you have those types of schools nearby...
Old 08-06-14, 09:49 AM
jomosc400
Rookie

Unfortunately for me I live in Joplin Mo. Franklin tech, the high school's equivalent was taken out by the May 2011 tornado. They're in a temporary location while the High School & Franklin Tech is being rebuilt, but I don't know how equipped they are currently to take on painting a vehicle. Pre-tornado, I actually took my previous car to them for work after my sister totaled it. It was a fraction of the cost to get it repaired by them. That's actually how I came to buy my Lexus. I needed another car, had money at the time, and had an opportunity to buy the car I'd always wanted.

My trouble spot is actually a result of the tornado. I wish I had comprehensive coverage at the time of the tornado. It (the tornado) took out both of my passenger side windows, cracked my drivers side view mirror, quite a bit of hail damage, my BBQ slammed into the front bumper & i've got a baseball sized hole in it. plus the flaking on that front 1/4 panel shown.
Old 08-06-14, 12:04 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jomosc400
Unfortunately for me I live in Joplin Mo. Franklin tech, the high school's equivalent was taken out by the May 2011 tornado. They're in a temporary location while the High School & Franklin Tech is being rebuilt, but I don't know how equipped they are currently to take on painting a vehicle. Pre-tornado, I actually took my previous car to them for work after my sister totaled it. It was a fraction of the cost to get it repaired by them. That's actually how I came to buy my Lexus. I needed another car, had money at the time, and had an opportunity to buy the car I'd always wanted.

My trouble spot is actually a result of the tornado. I wish I had comprehensive coverage at the time of the tornado. It (the tornado) took out both of my passenger side windows, cracked my drivers side view mirror, quite a bit of hail damage, my BBQ slammed into the front bumper & i've got a baseball sized hole in it. plus the flaking on that front 1/4 panel shown.
You could drive up to OTC here in Springfield and check with them? Obviously call first and see what options you have but they have a HUGE auto body/repair program. As stated before the most expensive thing is the prep work, consequently, prep work is what also determines a good paint job or not. I say try and find a fender the same color and just replace it, otherwise a paint job on just a fender at a professional shop will run you $2-300 and will likely not be a perfect match anyway..
Old 08-06-14, 12:45 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kris9884
You could drive up to OTC here in Springfield and check with them? Obviously call first and see what options you have but they have a HUGE auto body/repair program. As stated before the most expensive thing is the prep work, consequently, prep work is what also determines a good paint job or not. I say try and find a fender the same color and just replace it, otherwise a paint job on just a fender at a professional shop will run you $2-300 and will likely not be a perfect match anyway..
Great idea!! Check here and Facebook SC forums. They have thousands of members!

Quick Reply: lexus "spray paint"