SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

36K mile Sc300 on Craigslist in NY 10.5K

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 01:37 AM
Soarer79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this car the other day. I had to see it in person. This car is gorgeous. The owner took me for a ride in it as he was hesitant about the rain. I can say it drove like a new car. He has tons of service records with the car as well as window stickers and keys. I am working on my finances to try to make the purchase.
Old 09-07-14, 02:14 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Fingers crossed for you buddy!
Old 09-07-14, 08:14 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Seems weird that someone who cares about the car enough to not want to drive it in the rain would be willing to sell it, no matter what the finances at his end might be.
Old 09-07-14, 08:29 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t2d2
Seems weird that someone who cares about the car enough to not want to drive it in the rain would be willing to sell it, no matter what the finances at his end might be.
Hesitant to let someone you don't know drive your car is logical. In the rain it is extra logical. He took him for a ride in it instead. That investment could be gone in an instant.

People sell cars they love all the time.

Finances and needs can never be ignored.
Old 09-07-14, 08:43 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cars are valued at what the buyer is willing to pay for it
Old 09-07-14, 08:46 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Hesitant to let someone you don't know drive your car is logical. In the rain it is extra logical. He took him for a ride in it instead. That investment could be gone in an instant.

People sell cars they love all the time.

Finances and needs can never be ignored.
Maybe Soarer79 meant that the owner was hesitant about having someone else drive it in the rain, but that's not what he wrote... At any rate, if that's the case, then that's what insurance is for! Which also speaks to finances and needs. Of course, the car is priced way above market value for anything comparable, since there isn't really anything comparable, so insurance could be an unwanted headache. Also, the "totaled" threshold would be much higher than most SCs. At any rate, any owner that paranoid has probably taken good care of the car.
Old 09-07-14, 08:06 PM
Soarer79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car was very well taken care of. This guy has a pretty amazing car collection. A 94 300zx slicktop in red with 9k original miles, an 84 300zx turbo with 10 k miles, an old school cadillac eldorado with 54 miles and old school mercedes from Germany imported for the us and this lexus sc along with an ls430 with 35k. He's a fanatic and don't drive any of his collection in the rain. That explains why these cars are like new. Real cool guy. I can buy the car for 10k. I look around and I don't see any car like this one. It has a few small dings that will come out with pdr. The engine bay was like new. He's in the car business. Oh I forgot he had a beautiful lotus esprit turbo that looked brand new. I feel very confident in this car. My purpose with this sc would be to drive it on some weekends and keep it as a toy. I was looking into some mercedes clks and CL models but they just don't do it for me like this sc!
Old 09-07-14, 09:29 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

That's good that he sounds like a very serious collector, but I'm even more confused now as to why he's selling it. Is he out of space and needs room in the garage for another toy? Because he doesn't sound hard up for cash and that's a terrible investment, babying a $50,000 car for twenty years and barely driving it, only to sell it for $10,000. It's not like a collector to take a loss in that manner just to move onto other projects, as far as I can reason.

He's probably an above the table dude, but I would still go back for a test drive in dry conditions just to make sure there's not something being hidden.
Old 09-08-14, 08:49 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mecheng10
that would make a great parts car since the exterior is so clean and so is the interior...
but it probably needs tons of work to get it streetable again.all those old fluids...
that old timing belt...
pretty much everything needs to get replaced
I've been avoiding this thread because I knew exactly what the content of the conversation was going to be about..
But I couldnt help but take a peek. Alas, THIS is the stupidest thing I've ever heard a few rubber hoses need to be replaced and its a PARTS car!??
Old 09-08-14, 10:37 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A fifty thousand dollar car for ten grand is a good deal. Usually to get that you have to trade lots of wear and tear but in this case you're just trading time. If you want a STOCK SC this is a good price. if you're going to throw GTE and a manual (like many of us) your money is better spent on a straight chassis with a run down drivetrain.
Old 09-08-14, 10:17 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 481 Likes on 291 Posts

Have you seen that red SC on the last page of Pics at the Pump?
Old 09-08-14, 10:31 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my '99 at 65k a year and a half ago. Its at 90k now, I feel like I'm killing it
Old 09-08-14, 10:48 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I bought my '99 at 65k a year and a half ago. Its at 90k now, I feel like I'm killing it
That's the danger of buying a low mileage car. Unless you plan to drive it very little, you're paying a premium for a characteristic that will quickly evaporate. You can always fix things that wear out with mileage, but you can't restore low miles.

We're not talking about collector's cars here. You have to look at general market rules. Insurance caps mileage adjustments at 40%, but this 36,000 mile example is basically 300% of average mileage price. That doesn't add up. And I entirely disagree with the notion that it's a good value because you're getting a nearly new $50,000 car for $10,000. Today's $50,000 cars are far superior in terms of performance and efficiency, even if many of us feel they're a step backward in styling, so that's a fatally flawed comparison.
Old 09-09-14, 12:08 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 481 Likes on 291 Posts

You guys don't get it!
A 15yr old mustang is not even on the same planet as a 15yr old SC
Old 09-09-14, 09:55 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Question

Originally Posted by t2d2
That's the danger of buying a low mileage car. Unless you plan to drive it very little, you're paying a premium for a characteristic that will quickly evaporate. You can always fix things that wear out with mileage, but you can't restore low miles.

We're not talking about collector's cars here. You have to look at general market rules. Insurance caps mileage adjustments at 40%, but this 36,000 mile example is basically 300% of average mileage price. That doesn't add up. And I entirely disagree with the notion that it's a good value because you're getting a nearly new $50,000 car for $10,000. Today's $50,000 cars are far superior in terms of performance and efficiency, even if many of us feel they're a step backward in styling, so that's a fatally flawed comparison.
That car is priced about 5K over the actual value. I have put more than 5K into my car that I purchased for $5500 at 115K. He can replace a few hoses, tune it up and be done. For 12K i drive a car that has some wear and tear. For 11K he gets to drive a pretty much new SC that will last him 20 more years. Where is that a bad deal?

Quick Reply: 36K mile Sc300 on Craigslist in NY 10.5K