SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Axle Nut...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 01:38 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Axle Nut...

I recently had an issue where I found that my driver's side rear axle nut was loose (freely spin by hand). Some one told me to check it after I have been hearing what could be a bad bearing. Tightened it up, wheel no longer shake when it's off the ground but on the ground.... it wobbled and for sure the bearing died. I had the bearing replaced as well as the two seals. Plus I had to replace the hub, I'm guessing the bearing somehow started wearing into hub since the inner races we're able to separate.

My question is, how does the axle nut come loose? I don't do burn outs or anything. Occasionally I take turns and exits fast because I like how the car takes the turns.

There is a castle cap and cotter pin over the axle nut but there's some wiggle room between the cap and nut.
Old 07-17-14, 06:23 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Had the same thing happen to my 96 SC400. the seals become hard from age & allow moisture into the back of the bearing. when the back half of the bearing (2 sets of *****) wears the hub enough the hub is no longer held pressed tight, which allows it to begin walking in & out slightly thus allowing the nut to come loose. the castle keeper does appear to be some what shallow but can be stretched to fit better by placing it over a socket with castles inside socket and tapping the inside of it to extend castles outward. best thing to do is as soon as you hear any rumbling noise coming from a wheel inspect bearing & replace as it will destroy the hub & possibly your knuckle also.
Old 07-17-14, 07:40 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible it wasnt torqued to full specs by a previous owner?
Old 07-17-14, 08:14 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It becomes loose when the bearing is going going gone.
Old 07-18-14, 12:40 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

czar07, it is a possibility. But I've driven the car for 40k miles. A month prior to the bearing going bad, I changed the rear brakes and didn't notice any issues or felt any wheel play.

When I noticed the axle nut was loose, I tightened it and down. Loosened again after about 50 miles.
Old 07-18-14, 06:30 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I did my brakes & alignment Couple months prior to bearing going out, no play anywhere but was hearing a bearing noise from one of the wheels. By the time I traced it down to the right rear wheel and checked it @ work, nut was loose & wheel wobbled. I tightened the crap out of it to get it home. By the time I got it to the shop to replace the bearing/ seals/ & snap ring it had come loose again because of the hub play. Since I fixed it, little drifts/ burn outs/ hard cornering & such have not made it come loose. Now i have to do right front cause seal has gone on it also & caused that bearing to fail.