SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anybody have issues with windows fogging up (over time)??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 05:33 PM
OnyxBubble
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have issues with windows fogging up (over time)??

When I first got the car I did a thorough interior detail and realized ALL the windows had a film built up on them. I figured the previous owner just never cleaned them. So I cleaned all the windows and they were fine for about a week and then I noticed a film again, mostly on the back glass over top of the third light. I know its not a heater core issue, and the trunk had a very small amount of moisture when I first got it, but I took everything out of the trunk, dried and sealed the entire area. Never had an issue like this before, and like I said its more of a film than moisture... hopefully someone can shed some light on the problem...thanks..
Old 07-07-14, 06:05 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

My previous car developed something like that that I thought was a deterioration in the windshield over time. One day, I decided to put some serious elbow grease behind the Windex and was pleasantly surprised that it came off. I think it was the usual car grime that gets everywhere, working its way through the heater vents and creating a fine film on the glass that looks like an oil spill on water. It's tough to scrub away at due to the angle of the front/back windows, unfortunately.
Old 07-07-14, 08:17 PM
OnyxBubble
Driver School Candidate

Yeah its a pain in the *** especially at the bottom of the glass...gonna try and clean it again using half a bottle of industrial windex if I have too....lol. Thanks for the reply, gonna leave the trunk open in the garage for a few days too after I clean it and hope for the best......
Old 07-07-14, 08:24 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use IPA, it should take whatever is on there off, should keep clear for a while.
Old 07-08-14, 05:33 PM
Kingboo
Driver School Candidate

yeah if i don't turn on the ac my car fogs up lie crazy
Old 07-08-14, 08:24 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I've had this problem ever since I bought my SC. It is build up from the A/C system and vents among other things. I've seen it on some other cars too. It just requires cleaning with a Windex or similar agent. I used a RainX window cleaner for a while (NOT the common RainX).

When I had to replace my front windshield with new PPG glass this problem relatively went away. I do think the previous owner used the wrong type of cleaner which left a film. That took ages to rub away. My original rear window, side windows and quarters still have this problem to a small extent but after about 2 years of diligence every single week it's not a big issue any longer.

As for fogging in general... yes, I have that problem too during certain times of the year. This is just a guess but it might have to do with a worn out A/C Dryer. I had mine replaced recently and rarely ever get fogging now unless there is a big temperature difference between the inside and outside or unless it's cold out.