SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

plastidipped my sc400 sapphire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 09:17 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

if you guys are wondering how much entire kits are, go to dipyourcar.com they sell kits for 300 bucks and you can customize all the gallons and it comes with a gun and compressor, everything you need to dip your car, even a respirator.
Old 06-01-14, 11:14 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

that came out great! post some more pics!
Old 06-01-14, 12:35 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to see a nice finish with the dip on our cars. I've seen some others on the forum that really didn't turn out well. I've been ordering the stuff for mine for a few weeks. Compressor, gallons, pearls.
Old 06-01-14, 01:03 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
if you guys are wondering how much entire kits are, go to dipyourcar.com they sell kits for 300 bucks and you can customize all the gallons and it comes with a gun and compressor, everything you need to dip your car, even a respirator.
Excellent info, thanks.
Old 06-01-14, 04:03 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow im amazed how far this product has come along, that was a really cool YouTube video they have on front page, your car looks good for how cheap it was to paint.
Old 06-01-14, 05:44 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as requested from today at the park. its hard to beat this stuff had it on for a day and got compliments everywhere i went. nice to finally not have a faded hood anymore!

and my incomplete interior for good measure
Old 06-01-14, 05:55 PM
jennie
Pole Position

That's the nicest plastdip job I've ever seen. Really like the color and the satin sheen.
Old 06-01-14, 06:41 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang... flat black is gonna be callin my NAME soon.
Old 06-01-14, 10:22 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

plastidip has come a crazy long way. last year i remember they were advertising colors lol. now they have chameleon color changing, micro flakes and everything you can get from paint, for like a tenth of the price. lol i wanna set up shop and just plastidip everyone's cars on craigslist, but first i need to get a kit.
Old 06-02-14, 06:41 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I clicked to view this thread I expected to hate what I saw but surprisingly...I...don't.

How long is that expected to last how sturdy is it, meaning will it peel or chip off real easy? This is now a consideration for my MKIII Supra.
Old 06-02-14, 07:31 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How do you guys keep plastidip clean? I was bored and curious one day so I plastidipped an old set of wheels. I tried to wipe them clean with various rags and sponges only to leave fibers behind. The Plastidip surface has a textured grip to the touch. Do you guys just power wash it?
Old 06-02-14, 09:18 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

to the OP...
I was expecting a **** poor job of it (like what happened to my 93 sc.... dumbass previous owner decided to do it)
but wow! does yours look so clean!
cant hate on that
Old 06-02-14, 01:53 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tabaka
How do you guys keep plastidip clean? I was bored and curious one day so I plastidipped an old set of wheels. I tried to wipe them clean with various rags and sponges only to leave fibers behind. The Plastidip surface has a textured grip to the touch. Do you guys just power wash it?
I just wash my dipped wheels with regular car soap and dry with a shammy like the rest of the car. It depends on how you dipped it, it takes practice to get it smooth like paint. Thin coats always is the answer
Old 06-02-14, 02:02 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never been a fan of doing this method, but I have somewhat changed my mind on seeing this becoming a better method, instead of paint.
Old 06-02-14, 03:56 PM
J_Atreides
Driver

Here are some more shots of my car. I park outside so it's hard to keep car clean. Dark color hides stains better. When you dip, lay on thick so it dries smooth but not too thick so it runs. Can't sand it down like paint/clear. Put about 7 coats on so it's easy to peel later. Look up All Version Motoring on FB and I got some video of me peeling the grey dip.

Good thing about dip, you can spray over an area and it blends right in. I mixed pearl in with my base colors. Some ppl prefer to lay base color and put pearl on top, so it shines better. Plasti dip does NOT like gasoline or grease, so I keep my car away from all other liquids. When washing car, pressure wash no issues and I use my finger nail to scrub off any caked on lovebug or bird/squirrel poop (wash your hand before eating).

I run a performance shop and we got some tricks here and there. We also got account setup with DYC.com so didn't spend much on dip. Much cheaper than paint job.
DO NOT dip your car if it's been re-painted w/ cheap paint. The paint WILL come off. Ppl complaint about dip ripping their paint. That's b/c dip is perfect on baked OEM paint. If car had cheap paint on (like stage 1, or out of a Dupli-Color can), it will look ugly when removed.

HMU.

Quick Reply: plastidipped my sc400 sapphire!