SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 05:43 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Having at least one SC in my stable for the last 15 years, I simply cannot tell you to sell it.

With that low of mileage, I would keep it and give it the TLC that it deserves. If it were mine, I'd swap the transmission to manual.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 05-19-14, 10:18 AM
glex4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I listed my SC 400 in the classifieds section. I do not want to sell it, but I need a bigger car for future family expansion!
Old 05-19-14, 02:08 PM
grm405
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post

"The delemna is these cars even at their age are rock solid bulletproof, and they are becoming so rare they are almost non existent"

Pretty common and inexpensive around here. There are typically a half dozen or more at any time on Craig's list in Phoenix. Asking prices range from $1-6k with the average around $3k. Many of the cheaper ones are way overpriced for their condition while some of the expensive ones are a bargain. Modified ones are worth less than stock as far as I can tell.

Maybe its our proximity to Scottsdale and other expensive suburbs.

Gerry

Last edited by grm405; 05-19-14 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-14, 06:14 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I sold my gold 95 SC4 it took almost 2yrs. but when the right guy came by I got my full asking price.
Old 05-19-14, 08:30 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you do the right mods, your car will be worth alot of money
Old 05-19-14, 08:48 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

It seems to me that you have your heart and gut set on moving on from the SC. It's ok if you do. The C5 is a fantastic choice if your looking at a factory performance car on the cheaper side. You might have some fun with that and get bored, and miss your old Sc. Sell the Vette and wind up here again lol.
Old 05-19-14, 09:34 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 482 Likes on 291 Posts

Your interior looks pretty good
Mines a 92" & in my opinion runs like a Rolex
Today we can see how far ahead of its time SC's were. I get offers for mine all the time. I won't sell!
I think most of them r bulletproof. People also come up to me & say they used to have 1. Wish they still had it
Good luck
Old 05-20-14, 06:05 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it makes you feel any better, I sold my 93 SC400 a little over a year ago for $1800 cause I just wanted to get rid of it. I had a 97 body kit on it as well but the paint was great. I never finished the interior though and even though I had most of the parts I just didnt want to put in the labor.
I just bought an MR2 turbo a couple days ago to fill the gap left by my SC and I am so much happier with MR2.
The MR2 forums suck though and hardly anyone visits them. I miss you guys.
Old 05-20-14, 02:30 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MattStarr
I just bought an MR2 turbo a couple days ago to fill the gap left by my SC and I am so much happier with MR2.
I love those cars myself and wouldnt mind trading even for a NA lol

***** get a C5

Unless you plan too boost the UZ and in it for the long run. If not just pick up another down the road maybe and even nicer one.

You still keeping the LS or selling that too??
Old 05-20-14, 07:10 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with the SC's is that there has never been a true culture following on them,some places people never even heard of them. I've always chosen the path less traveled & by doing so have owned some very nice cars that nobody else has. So it's your choice, blend in, or stand out in the crowd. Get rid of the wheels tho. Some day there's not gonna be many SC's left, not that there's many now. The Vultures are waiting!
Old 05-20-14, 09:20 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I say sell it for pennies. No one mods an old 400. People only mod 300's or 98+ 400's. You'll regret it if you pour money into it restoring it.
There are many pre-98 SC owners who will disagree. I own a 96 SC400 that I absolutely cannot bring myself to sell. Its modded, and it holds a lot of sentimental value to me. It also runs like a champ for having 204k miles. I actually wish that the car was a 95 so that it would be OBDI and I wouldn't have to get it emission tested here in Chicago, that way I could take off the cats, do an EGR delete, manual swap it, and not worry about anything.

*****, restore the SC. It will be a future classic.
Old 05-20-14, 10:23 PM
ZeRoSe7en
Rookie

One day, were going to see our generation love the tuner cars like the classic, muscle, and hot rod guys love theirs. We might see them on Barret-Jackson. Who knows. It would be wise to hold on to it, as value can only go up with time. Even if you dont mod it much, just keep it running.
Old 05-22-14, 02:37 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by soarer213
Having at least one SC in my stable for the last 15 years, I simply cannot tell you to sell it.

With that low of mileage, I would keep it and give it the TLC that it deserves. If it were mine, I'd swap the transmission to manual.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you do.
thanks man

Originally Posted by MattStarr
If it makes you feel any better, I sold my 93 SC400 a little over a year ago for $1800 cause I just wanted to get rid of it. I had a 97 body kit on it as well but the paint was great. I never finished the interior though and even though I had most of the parts I just didnt want to put in the labor.
hey matt , I actually remember your car and I commented on the fact that you sold it for too cheap.

IIRC you had 97 kit and 97 tails it looked really clean too.

GL with your MR2 man

Originally Posted by Joey-E
I love those cars myself and wouldnt mind trading even for a NA lol

***** get a C5

Unless you plan too boost the UZ and in it for the long run. If not just pick up another down the road maybe and even nicer one.

You still keeping the LS or selling that too??
yea man C5's are really nice , I want one badly , the thing is they are not cheap , , with the SC I already got the wheels , the car and the body kit, all it needs really is some maintenance and a paint job.

Im so tempted to order rear over fenders and front wide fenders, then dump it on coils , I think it would really look sick and only cost me a couple grand.

The other thing is I can get it registered as a classic car and pay next to nothing on insurance.

And no way man I LOVE the LS, what an amazing car, I got it on some 3 piece GFG 22's and I just welded on some nice exhaust tips, its really coming together now

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
There are many pre-98 SC owners who will disagree. I own a 96 SC400 that I absolutely cannot bring myself to sell. Its modded, and it holds a lot of sentimental value to me. It also runs like a champ for having 204k miles. I actually wish that the car was a 95 so that it would be OBDI and I wouldn't have to get it emission tested here in Chicago, that way I could take off the cats, do an EGR delete, manual swap it, and not worry about anything.

*****, restore the SC. It will be a future classic.
thanks for the words of encouragement man ,,as I said im so tempted to go widebody and just go to town with it , tough call

im also getting into leather restoration so I could do that as well, and id like to add some suede to the interior as well, like the headliner and maybe the dash etc..
Old 05-22-14, 08:35 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
thanks for the words of encouragement man ,,as I said im so tempted to go widebody and just go to town with it , tough call

im also getting into leather restoration so I could do that as well, and id like to add some suede to the interior as well, like the headliner and maybe the dash etc..
Do it! and keep us posted on the progress!
Old 05-22-14, 08:50 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like you still got a soft spot for the SC. And i dont blame you they are well built cars that are sexy.

Keep the SC and restore it.

Get a C5 later down the road when you got the funds ready or when/if you part ways with the SC. but by the time you build it it can be harder to let go later down the road.

Just dont get attached to it too much. Lol

Quick Reply: Unsure of what to do with my 93 SC400