SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Story of the Purple Bullet w Complete Pic's (the quarter of a million miler)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-14, 11:22 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 482 Likes on 291 Posts
Red face The Story of the Purple Bullet w Complete Pic's (the quarter of a million miler)

This is how amazing, timeless, & built SC 3's & 4's R.It's gonna B, almost 25 yr.'s old soon & has quarter of million miles on it. I've had it a long, long time & basically have never had a repair. It just goes & goes.
To the motor all I've done is timing belts & oil changes. I do have K&N filter w MagnaFlows-3" pipes, What a sweet sound! It fires up every time & runs like a Rolex.
The body, I've painted it, dropped in matching Corbeau's, yes I do have a whole new stock suspension w 18" Enkei luxury's. The paint job is from a custom shop in LA. It's more than 10 yr's old. They do good work in LA! I only give it a summer wax & a winter wax and drive it everyday. The streets where I live r as bad as anywhere. w it's age & these streets there Is not 1 squeak or 1 rattle just the sound of that exhaust. I say that's a well built car
With all the yrs I had it the money I've spent per yr is NOT much
I get all the comps & offers all you SC freaks get (include me). No one on the street has a clue how old they are, if they're new or what
These are beautiful, maybe the best built cars. This has been a love letter to the SC's Barbary
Attached Thumbnails The Story of the Purple Bullet w Complete Pic's (the quarter of a million miler)-pict0615.jpg   The Story of the Purple Bullet w Complete Pic's (the quarter of a million miler)-pict0586.jpg   The Story of the Purple Bullet w Complete Pic's (the quarter of a million miler)-pict0635.jpg  

Last edited by Barbary; 06-01-14 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 05-10-14, 01:44 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It's gorgeous but an all black interior and an OEM front lip painted the same delicious purple would be SO HOT. If you ever get bored, that would be a great next project (in my humble opinion). That color is among my favorites I've seen on an SC.
Old 05-10-14, 03:00 PM
1SlowSC400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your SC looks awesome, diggin that paint
Old 05-10-14, 04:04 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I woulda have done a few things differently, but clean looking ride nonetheless.
Old 05-10-14, 04:06 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
It's gorgeous but an all black interior and an OEM front lip painted the same delicious purple would be SO HOT. If you ever get bored, that would be a great next project (in my humble opinion). That color is among my favorites I've seen on an SC.
Thanks for the comp & great idea
I'm thinking remove the middle bars of the front grill, corvette like. Put running lights on the remaining side bars. My theory has always been the less air resistance up front the easier the car moves. Your humble opinion is much valued by me
thanks Barbary

Last edited by Barbary; 05-10-14 at 08:49 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 05-10-14, 08:03 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SlowSC400
Your SC looks awesome, diggin that paint
thanks for the comp "Slow"the paint is actually more purple than in the pic's hence "The Purple Bullet"
Old 05-10-14, 09:16 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I woulda have done a few things differently, but clean looking ride nonetheless.
Enforcer- Thanks for the comp I really appreciate it, and all the guys who bothered to write a note I understand, but if I dropped it w these rims it would be undrivable on these streets, I have to drive it everyday. You don't see many lowered SC's around here. They are all jacked up sky high
My purpose is just to remind the guys how great these cars really are. There aren't any others that I know of
Thanks Barbary
Old 05-10-14, 09:29 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Barbary
Thanks for the comp & great idea
I'm thinking remove the middle bars of the front grill, corvette like. Put running lights on the remaining side bars. My theory has always been the less air resistance up front the easier the car moves. Your humble opinion is much valued by me
thanks Barbary
Barbary,
Actually All of the vents create more wind drag. A solid front like an actual bullet (or bullet train) has the least drag. I'd guess the difference is minimal and they are also functional getting air up into the engine for cooling and intake. Please don't rush into modifying that nose, it is beautiful as is. An OEM lip would be the only thing i would add (but that's just my humble opinion again). Have you considered dying the light blue seat sections black, out of respect for that lovely purple paint? Does an all black interior in the future appeal to you?
Hope my suggestions are well received. Thanks for valuing them
Old 05-10-14, 09:38 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enforcer- Thanks for the comp I really appreciate it, and all the guys who bothered to write a note I understand, but if I dropped it w these rims it would be undrivable on these streets, I have to drive it everyday. You don't see many lowered SC's around here. They are all jacked up sky high
My purpose is just to remind the guys how great these cars really are. There aren't any others that I know of
Thanks Barbary
There is actually a lot of lowered SC I the Bay Area. My car is lowered and I drive it like a normal car, I go over railroad tracks and all road imperfections just fine.
I was wonder what made you pick black/blue seats rather than something like all black or black/grey?
Old 05-10-14, 10:34 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Wink

Barbary,
Actually All of the vents create more wind drag. A solid front like an actual bullet (or bullet train) has the least drag. I'd guess the difference is minimal and they are also functional getting air up into the engine for cooling and intake. Please don't rush into modifying that nose, it is beautiful as is. An OEM lip would be the only thing i would add (but that's just my humble opinion again). Have you considered dying the light blue seat sections black, out of respect for that lovely purple paint? Does an all black interior in the future appeal to you?
Hope my suggestions are well received. Thanks for valuing them
Geek, (I hope U don't mind) Thanks for your Appreciated comment, but I got the seats for the blue, check my steering wheel* it took 3 mos to get them from Corbeau. If you saw the the bullet you might se a bluish theme I got goin
Now about the front end that middle grill bar bothers me a lot, what about the running lights on the side bars?
Barbary
Old 05-10-14, 10:56 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Wink

Originally Posted by AnonymousG
There is actually a lot of lowered SC I the Bay Area. My car is lowered and I drive it like a normal car, I go over railroad tracks and all road imperfections just fine.
I was wonder what made you pick black/blue seats rather than something like all black or black/grey?
Jade thanks for your note. You can call me Turquoise if you want. We must live in different parts of town, I'm Downtown, Downtown, couple of blocks from AT&T actually & it's all I can take. Down here they're all jacked up.
Like I mentioned to StudioGeek, I called him Geek for short, I hope He doesn't mind I got A bluish theme goin. To me I like it a lot. No way I could change it. I couldn't get an exact match w the seats anyway anywhere.
What do you think about the nose modification, I'm seriously considering? That middle grill bar really bothers me . What about the running lights?
. Barbary
Old 05-10-14, 11:16 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Geek, (I hope U don't mind) Thanks for your Appreciated comment, but I got the seats for the blue, check my steering wheel* it took 3 mos to get them from Corbeau. If you saw the the bullet you might se a bluish theme I got goin
Now about the front end that middle grill bar bothers me a lot, what about the running lights on the side bars?
Barbary
I surely don't mind Barbary, if the grille bothers you, by all means delete it. The car has to make you happy, not us.
I have rarely seen any light mods that are better than what they came up with in Calty. It is just naturally a beautiful car and it's hard to improve upon (but not impossible). Do you but be careful, hits are rare, misses are common.
With regard to color (in art), search the terms "opposites on the color wheel", "Complementary colors" and "color harmonies". On the traditional color wheel developed in the 18th century, colors opposite each other, compliment each other. These were used by Van Gogh, Monet and most of the other masters. Complementary colors can create some striking optical effects. You will notice purple and blue are really close to each other and they actually clash. There are exceptions to every rule but this is not one of them.
The color wheel is nothing to live by with cars, but it is often useful. You can't apply it all to cars, but you can consult it sometimes. In this case, black would frame up your purple best (Black is an exception to the color wheel theory) in my opinion. Also, when a color is striking, as your purple is, one must be careful not to interfere with it's beauty. Just let it be undisturbed.
Most cars have one major color and one complimentary color, generally black (or tan on our cars). Brakes are often an opportunity for a small splash of complimentary color. You will notice all Sc colors don't work with the tan interior but all work with black. Grey usually works but not always. You will also notice, black and white are omitted on the wheel as they always work. That's why the black interior is worth so much more with our cars.

Check THIS search link and tell me what you think.

Below is a color wheel, remember it is generally used for art, not cars but some combinations are helpful. Its more to see what does not work than what works with cars.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for considering.
Attached Thumbnails The Story of the Purple Bullet w Complete Pic's (the quarter of a million miler)-colourwheel_1__thumbnail_x600_y600.png.jpeg   The Story of the Purple Bullet w Complete Pic's (the quarter of a million miler)-real_color_wheel_475.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-10-14 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 12:23 AM
Barbary
Instructor

Red face

I surely don't mind Barbary, if the grille bothers you, by all means delete it. The car has to make you happy, not us.
I have rarely seen any light mods that are better than what they came up with in Calty. It is just naturally a beautiful car and it's hard to improve upon (but not impossible). Do you but be careful, hits are rare, misses are common.
With regard to color (in art), search the terms "opposites on the color wheel", "Complementary colors" and "color harmonies". On the traditional color wheel developed in the 18th century, colors opposite each other, compliment each other. These were used by Van Gogh, Monet and most of the other masters. Complementary colors can create some striking optical effects. You will notice purple and blue are really close to each other and they actually clash. There are exceptions to every rule but this is not one of them.
The color wheel is nothing to live by with cars, but it is often useful. You can't apply it all to cars, but you can consult it sometimes. In this case, black would frame up your purple best (Black is an exception to the color wheel theory) in my opinion. Also, when a color is striking, as your purple is, one must be careful not to interfere with it's beauty. Just let it be undisturbed.
Most cars have one major color and one complimentary color, generally black (or tan on our cars). Brakes are often an opportunity for a small splash of complimentary color. You will notice all Sc colors don't work with the tan interior but all work with black. Grey usually works but not always. You will also notice, black and white are omitted on the wheel as they always work. That's why the black interior is worth so much more with our cars.

Check THIS search link and tell me what you think.

Below is a color wheel, remember it is generally used for art, not cars but some combinations are helpful. Its more to see what does not work than what works with cars.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for considering.
Geek; can I call you that for short?. Out here it's a very complimentary name. WOW you have given me much to ponder! and that's a good thing, I am conflicted about keeping it as stock as possible. I have to say you are not the only one to be taken w the paint job. I wish you could see it in real life it falls short in pic's. The Amigo's @ the paint shop did me a special deal.
Well I have to go. We can continue tomorrow. Right now I have Vermeer & Picasso running around in my mind. [I]Thank you so much[I] Barbary Your car looks great to me
Old 05-11-14, 07:41 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! She's really clean, and as Studiogeek suggested (black) interior would be an even nicer touch! I can imagine how much cleaner she looks in person! So freakin clean bro!

steve
Old 05-11-14, 07:42 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for sharing your story! Definitely a pretty SC you have there.

I bet that nice CA weather definitely helps in the longevity of the car and is a huge reason why it still stayed looking brand new without any corrosion or rust on a single nut or bolt. Here in the midwest, if you have a car that you daily drive and use during the LONG winter months, they definitely do not look like your car even after a few years.

Quick Reply: The Story of the Purple Bullet w Complete Pic's (the quarter of a million miler)