SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC300 Wheel Bearing / R. Differential Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 11:22 AM
lexus72
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC300 Wheel Bearing / R. Differential Advice

I have a '92 SC300 automatic with 135,000 miles. I am the original owner and only use the car occasionally. Last summer it started to develop a rotational sound and slight vibration in the rear of the vehicle. All 4 tires were replaced, and even rebalanced a second time - the vibration did not disappear. I also had the break pads and rotors replaced - the sounds still persisted. The sound/vibration is intermittent but seems loudest at 45mph. I stored the car last fall, so I haven't had to think about this until now.

My mechanic and I lifted the back end and here is what we discovered:
1. There is a little vertical "play" in the rear passenger wheel - we assume that it is most likely a bearing issue.
2. There appears to be a rotational sound coming from the differential when the passenger wheel spins - its louder at 45mph, and softer but still present at idle. There does not appear to be any rotational sounds when we hold the passenger rear wheel and allow the driver's rear wheel to spin. My mechanic said it may be the bearing on the rear differential of the passenger side, but it could also be the internals of the differential itself.

His suggestion was to fix/replace the wheel bearing (or whatever issue is causing the vertical "play") in the rear passenger wheel and then test drive the car to see if there are any sounds/vibrations. If the sound/vibration is still present, then we need to remove the differential and see if its the bearings or internals.

If I have a bad differential what would you suggest I do? Have it rebuilt? Buy used ($250)? Buy new ($$$). My car will drive another 10 years and I do plan to own it for as long as I can since it is just a "Sunday" car for me.

I did find a local who has as differential from a 92 with 98,000 miles. He wants $200 for it. He said his car drove well - not sure why he is parting it out. Is this a good/bad idea?

I appreciate any guidance on this. Based on your suggestions, maybe I will just have the differential issue taken care of at the same time as the passenger rear wheel issue.