SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

NA-T Question / Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-14, 04:36 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default NA-T Question / Kit Question

So this might sound stupid but is there anyone out there running a completely stock NA-T set up on an auto trans.

Like just the NA-T Conversion, stock ECU, Injectors, change timing slightly and only 8 PSI for safty reasons. I am very close to purchasing the $1,900 CX Racing GT35 or T70 kit but dont really want to go insane on my build just yet (need to put a down payment on a house first). Just looking for more of a slightly faster street car with a good base platform for future mods.

If anyone has any experiance with this particular kit any pointers would be awesome too.

Im sure there is a ton of info on here I just havent read any build threads where someone did the conversion and left it alone yet lol.. I mean who are we kidding here, its a 2JZ after all, it begs for mods.

I know some of the little things I will need once converted like SAFC or AFC and a AEM UEGO and boost gauges, some sort of boost controler like a hallman pro and small things like that.. I have a bunch of that stuff laying around from my DSM days. But I was just seeing if it is a reasonable thing to just convert and let it be.. something around 300HP if it will even be that.

Thanks in advance for any replies and looking forward to hearing some of your guys thoughts and answers
Old 05-01-14, 06:44 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

na-t is nice but im not sure how well the auto trans will hold,maybe 300hp
you can always just do a 2jzgte aristo for alot less then a na-t,
what part of Colorado are you from? im about to drop in a gte soon
Old 05-02-14, 08:05 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikef
na-t is nice but im not sure how well the auto trans will hold,maybe 300hp
you can always just do a 2jzgte aristo for alot less then a na-t,
what part of Colorado are you from? im about to drop in a gte soon
I have a friend running the auto trans with 410WHP on 12psi with water meth, and e85 and nothing else but a conservative tune! reliably at that with no problems lol.. only difference for his Trans is an upgraded Valve body and is he is VVTi GS300, with a TRD LSD. Other then that completely stock.

I would love the GTE swap but it seams like such a headache with wiring and harness work and then you still needs all the little bits..

I have plans to stay auto and build to 600HP eventually just can't fund that right now with buying a house and not to mention my truck was just stolen so that took away my Daily Driver :-(

I can convert to NA-T over the weekend

vs.

Swapping an engine, doing all the gaskets and timing components out of the car, then the battle of getting it in and running so I am still able to get to work monday lol..

To answer your question I am in Denver. Just on the outskirts of the city by D.U.
Old 05-02-14, 08:13 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The GTE swap isnt that bad I just finished mine up and went single turbo at the same time with borg warner....

I figured I am into it for about 6-7k......

For the amount of work it takes to get an NA-T running right...and the majority of parts you need are GTE anyways....just go GTE...
Old 05-02-14, 08:19 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck trying to go na-t over the weekend...
regardless of how much prep work you do there will always be little things that break/don't have that you will not have access too

if money is tight. wait to go on na-t.
knowing other cx racing products, the fitment will not be the best and it will take time to make parts fit correctly

and yea you can push the trans, but the reliability of the auto trans is 300. any more youre just asking to blow up the trans. the supra auto tt trans holds 400ish reliably

youre going to need to custom the pipes, it looks like they supply a universal piping kit. turbo might be able to push 8 psi... but it wont last long.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...A-T-conversion read this. it will help you get a basic understanding
Old 05-02-14, 09:11 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can get a lot of quality parts for the same cost as that CX Racing kit. That turbo will smoke and blow in under a year.

Look into a Borg Warner or Precision Turbo, Tial Wastegate, RC Injectors, and a HKS or Blitz BOV. Your engine management is going to be a nightmare. Search Alli's TT ECU mod which requires a MAP sensor, IAT, coils, ignitor, and the TT ECU.

You can go cheap on the intercooler and even the exhaust manifold (though not recommended).

Have fun, that's what this is all about. Just remember that your $2,000 turbo kit is now making 300hp which will get smoked by your moms new Camry or Accord. Think bigger down the road
Old 05-02-14, 09:31 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
The GTE swap isnt that bad I just finished mine up and went single turbo at the same time with borg warner....

For the amount of work it takes to get an NA-T running right...and the majority of parts you need are GTE anyways....just go GTE...
Originally Posted by mecheng10
good luck trying to go na-t over the weekend...
regardless of how much prep work you do there will always be little things that break/don't have that you will not have access too
CatManthat is waht i was trying to avoid tho, buying a manifold and big turbo on top of purchasing the Engine puts me out of budget. I guess i wouldnt mind running the stock twins for a little but even then I still need to upgrade the turbines make it reliable. the CXRacing kit is $1900 and I have access to a shop and lift and any tool you could possibly need alnog with the knowledge of Master techs and so on.. I dont know what extra GTE parts I need are yet so I guess that is one downfall of just swapping the kit in a few days..

Mecheng you are very right lol, there is always something that doesnt line up or is missing or not available at that time. Just when you needed it too lol.. I am not worried about anything breaking (rust wise that is) as my car has always been a CO car and very well maintained between the two prev. owners. My only concern at one point was high milage (180,000) and slapping 8PSI on it, but at the same time I know it has been maintained well enough that I fell confident it can take it just fine.

As for the auto trans, I am not worried what it does, I have an ATFSpeed buit trans with my name on it for an unbeatable price my friend picked up for his 240SX swap and never wound up using,, whats a day to swap that in if mine goes BOOM

I guess I was just seeing if it was doable to slap the CX kit on it and be finished for a bit, like I said get a good platform and mod the **** out of it later.. Leave everything stock plus boost until I know what I really want to do to it.
Old 05-02-14, 09:38 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Tabaka
You can get a lot of quality parts for the same cost as that CX Racing kit. That turbo will smoke and blow in under a year.

Have fun, that's what this is all about. Just remember that your $2,000 turbo kit is now making 300hp which will get smoked by your moms new Camry or Accord. Think bigger down the road
I have brand new GT42R, HKS BOV, and 48mm Tial all sitting in my closet so I would just sell the CX garbage to some dumb honda kid lol.. I can't wait to have fun doing it.. you know that love hate relationship you have building cars lol.
Old 05-02-14, 09:43 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

To have a reliable setup it is going to cost you......I suggest you save up more money and do it right the first time.....