SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

front end popping, turns in very easy

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 10:41 AM
16vMR2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front end popping, turns in very easy

So on saturday i installed my front lower control arms after the ball joint literally separated from the lower arm. I installed the mk4 supra arms and everything fit perfect. HOWEVER.. i forgot to install the rubber stoppers that sit between the subframe and the bushing of the arm (DOH!). I found that my passenger side sway bar end link is bent as well -_-. So I have ordered new sway bar end links (Moog) and the rubber stoppers. The car drives great, but ive noticed a loud-ish popping sound when im turning at low speeds. Is this a bad tie rod? The car pulls to the right (and has before), and makes noise when i run over road reflectors and pot holes.. but NOT when i go over speed bumps..

is this just a combination of not having the rubber stoppers installed and a bad sway bar end link? Or is this a bad tie rod?
Old 04-21-14, 11:30 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

1)did you replace the lcas on both sides?

2) are your struts leaking oil?

and a bent sway bar end would cause the car to pull to one side.
Old 04-21-14, 09:45 PM
16vMR2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mecheng10
1)did you replace the lcas on both sides?

2) are your struts leaking oil?

and a bent sway bar end would cause the car to pull to one side.
- I replaced the LCA's on both sides. The car seems to steer easier to the right for some reason.. it also is making the popping sound from the right side. The car drives fine and seems fine.. it just scares me everytime I make a turn that I know i'm going to hear this loud pop. The pop now occurs when I go from park to drive. I seriously think that it is either because I dont have the stopper bushings installed or has something to do with a bad ball joint in the upper control arm this has me stumped.. I've ordered new sway end links and im going to install the stoppers + end links thursday. Until then the SC is parked until i figure out what this noise is. I had the lower control arm ball joint on the passenger side literally POP OUT when it failed so im super iffy when i hear poppping sounds now.

- struts are not leaking.

- ok that makes sense, the passenger side is bent so it makes sense it pulls to that side LOL.
Old 04-22-14, 06:35 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Just to note, even if you didn't have any missing parts, bent pieces etc... If you didn't get an alignment done after replacing those suspension components, 99% of the time, that is the reason a car will track to one side, cause uneven tire wear, etc.

A loud pop, can Also be a few other things, now that you strengthened the LCAs by replacing them, the next weakest link will be getting the pressure..

Usually just by the description you provided.. the transfer from Park to Drive, to reverse etc... can cause a noise in the Engine Mounts and sometimes the Trans Mount, when they are worn.
Old 04-27-14, 10:09 AM
16vMR2
Driver School Candidate

found my issue:

It was quite simple actually. When the ball joint popped out and dropped my arm on the wheel, i failed to notice that my brake shield was bent and touching my tie rod end..so, when i turned and enough force was made, the rod end would "clunk" or push past the shield. A simple bend back into shape and it was totally fine. I took it straight to the alignment shop and everything is set the way it should be; it drives completely normal again.
Old 04-27-14, 11:38 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 16vMR2
found my issue:

It was quite simple actually. When the ball joint popped out and dropped my arm on the wheel, i failed to notice that my brake shield was bent and touching my tie rod end..so, when i turned and enough force was made, the rod end would "clunk" or push past the shield. A simple bend back into shape and it was totally fine. I took it straight to the alignment shop and everything is set the way it should be; it drives completely normal again.
AWESOME!
Thanks for reporting back!