SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Might Have Been asked a Million Times but Asking This

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 09:26 AM
MiataMatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might Have Been asked a Million Times but Asking This

Hey everyone Im new to here. Im going to be 17 and I own a S10 and a 91 Miata that im currently building into a drift car. Now this might have been asked a million times but I just want some more insight on this.

What would I need to swap a 5 speed into a regular SC300 with the 2JZ-GE. Now I would be building this into a drift car when the time comes but just wondering what I need. I know a basis on what but anymore info would be great. Sorry for the Newb question and yes ive been researching also.

So we have an SC300 with a 2JZ-GE (would be easier to find one already 5 speed, but Id like to endure on a project).

I know a company makes the pedal's and the whole master cylinder kit and all that goodie stuff.

I know I would need a driveshaft (would a mk3 or mk4 supra one work)
W58 tranny or R154. I know the W58 is alot cheaper then the R154 is.

Would I need a different ECU at all and if anything how much hp would the stock GE put out if I was to turbo it?

I also know that a lot more is involved with getting the tranny in and taking out the cruise control and all of that.

Now we all can do the 1jz swap and go to an engine depot and get the 1j out of the soarer there with the tranny and also the 2JZGTE out of the supra but then it gets more involved.

Is there anything else more after that I already posted above. And your recommendations on sliding an sc even though they are tanks ? And heavier than the mk3 supra is. I know the basics (welded diff or a 2 way, bucket seat, coils, knuckles and etc) then the swap would come if I was going to get real with it.

Thanks guys and hopefully you can insight me any more info than what I know already about making the swap.
Old 03-27-14, 10:33 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't drift a w5x, they're just too weak. my buddy's 1j swapped sc blew out two, before he FINALLY got an r154 that's being installed this season. you'll need a drive shaft, might as well get a 1-piece, they're cheap insurance in my opinion. Another option is the g35/350z transmission. also expensive, but the reviews are phenomenal.
(his car is fun to ride in, too being that it's so big. )

You don't mention what year sc you have, makes a big difference on max power on NA-t. Different years have different rotating assembly, to make more power in stock form, but will hinder what you can do under boost. Depending on year, you may consider the 1.5jz

I hate welded difs, especially if it's being driven on the road (not trailered to the track) . The buddy that has the 1j swap I mention has a welded differential, it handles like **** off the track. 2-way would be the only way to go, in my opinion. (a welded diff is a short term hold over until you get a real LSD)
Old 03-27-14, 10:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

welcome to CL, this has been asked a million times please familiarize yourself with the search feature and do your research first, then maybe start a build thread for help or a thread in the performance section for specific questions that have not been covered before. Also check out the build section for info on these types of builds, there are many examples.