SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rock Chip - Dammit! - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 09:39 AM
glex4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Chip - Dammit! - Advice Needed

So, my SC400 Diamond White Pearl has been SITTING on my driveway for the past 4 months due to the brutal NY winter this year. Yesterday, I was walking around the car and lo and behold I see a freaking "divot" (think golfing off a tee) in my driver side door. The underneath grayish (metal?) was exposed. It looks like either an *ahole* threw a rock at my car out of jealousy or that one of those commercial vehicles went to fast and kicked up a rock that somewhat went sideways and smashed into the door. I actually found the rock, I believe. Our house is a corner house.

So, I went the OEM touch up paint route and painted it twice (2 layers of coating) with touch up paint 040 (051 sparkle paint sucks so I am skipping that), which is the base coat. Basically, I painted inside the circle shaped hole.

My question is, if I keep layering more touch up paint upon more touch up paint, will the divot actually look like it's starting to fill, or should I not waste my time and leave it with 2 coats only? I want to do it myself without using Dr. ColorChip or anything similar. It looks fairly decent now after 2 coats (much better than a divot grey hole in my car). It looked like I was riding with 50 cent and someone shot my car with a BB gun or something.

Please advise.

Last edited by glex4; 03-25-14 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-25-14, 11:55 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

paint wont be able to fill the hole sorry
you would need to 1)pull it. you might get lucky with one of those cheap dent pullers
2)bondo and sand it then paint it
3)get a new door hahaha
4)take it to a body shop. it would be around 500 bucks to fix. they would probably just bang it out (depending on where the dent on the door is) or they would use bondo hahaha
Old 03-25-14, 11:59 AM
glex4
Rookie

Oh, it's not really a dent or ding. It's basically a deep chip, think as if someone skipped a rock off your car and it exposed the underlying metal. I don't think you can pull a chip out. Hmm..I did search a lot today on how to repair chips. Thanks though.
Old 03-25-14, 12:00 PM
lexusgirl2
Driver School Candidate

The best way to fix a dent in a car, is to fill it with some bondo, sand it down to where its even with the body, then paint over it. If your good at sanding, it will look like nothing ever happened. Done this several times to my sc400. Can't even tell there was a scratch!
Old 03-25-14, 12:06 PM
glex4
Rookie

Yes, but this is not a dent lol.
Old 03-25-14, 12:08 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Post a picture of it, so we can recommend more specifics on it.
Old 03-25-14, 12:25 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

^^
+1
we need pictures
Old 03-25-14, 12:30 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can look at Paintless dent removal, They stick a rod in the window seal, It cost 200$ to do my dads whole car, and all the dents were removed. I would at least look into this option.
Old 03-25-14, 07:29 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

You can do the paintless dent removal option but whatever you do, AVOID Bondo!
Old 03-25-14, 07:52 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can hire someone to come out to pop that big dent out for sure, with no bondo
Old 03-25-14, 09:17 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

ppl don't seem to get that it's not a dent lol. there's a piece of paint missing and the underlying metal is showing. just sand the surrounding area so u dont have any sharp edges, fill with bondo, sand, filler primer, sand, and then paint. ur done. shud cost u like 40 bucks maybe more if you get the paint matched from a paint shop. i'm currently restoring my entire body and i have a fist sized hole in my quarter panel by the wheel where it rusted out. if you don't wanna bondo use fiberglass cloth, its harder, will last longer, but if it's just a ding of missing paint then bondo will be fine.
Old 03-26-14, 07:07 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
ppl don't seem to get that it's not a dent lol. there's a piece of paint missing and the underlying metal is showing. just sand the surrounding area so u dont have any sharp edges, fill with bondo, sand, filler primer, sand, and then paint. ur done. shud cost u like 40 bucks maybe more if you get the paint matched from a paint shop. i'm currently restoring my entire body and i have a fist sized hole in my quarter panel by the wheel where it rusted out. if you don't wanna bondo use fiberglass cloth, its harder, will last longer, but if it's just a ding of missing paint then bondo will be fine.
I will NEVER use bondo on any of my cars...especially a Lexus, just repair it correctly or don't at all.
Old 03-26-14, 01:39 PM
glex4
Rookie

I heard bad things about bondo too. I will try to get pics soon! Thanks all.
Old 03-26-14, 03:10 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

wth is wrong with bondo? how else do you repair a freakin paint chip? what is underneath the paint of a stock car? a filler, what is bondo? a filler.
Old 03-26-14, 03:36 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the dent is small enough, you might get away with using dry ice. Read/watch about it before you bash the though, I have done this personally and it works great.

If its too deep, get your sander, filler/fiberglass, primer and paint ready.

Quick Reply: Rock Chip - Dammit! - Advice Needed