SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New here -- Got a small leak! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 10:55 AM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here -- Got a small leak! Help!

Hey guys, first post. I have my 93 SC300 w/ 2JZGTE swap and it runs smooth. I'm looking forward to joining the community here.

But I have a small leak and it should be an easy fix. And its coming from the brass fitting right there that connects to the turbo. Does it simply need to be tightened down? If so, my question is do I need to drain the oil before removing the line? Or can I remove the line without draining the oil?

Heres a zoomed out shot of what I'm talking about.

Old 03-19-14, 12:10 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't need to drain the oil, that line should not be under pressure with the engine off; Any residual pressure from running will be immediately released through the turbo into the drain.
you will probably dribble a little oil everywhere from what's left. A can of brake cleaner and a rag will take care of that.
oh, and be careful if you didn't perform the swap, there may be a little restrictor in there somewhere.

In my opinion, though, that set up looks weird; an adapter, another adapter, then a fitting. I may be wrong, though,.
Old 03-19-14, 12:16 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice single in the GTE, where in Cali are you from?

Yea, just like Ben explained. There shouldn't be any pressure from that turbo feed with the engine off. You can try to tighten it but don't overdue it. If that doesn't work out, get a 90* elbow fitting, I know a good place in Ontario in the IE that makes aircraft fittings, if you want there number lemme know.

And welcome to the CL.
Old 03-19-14, 12:28 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

IMO, I would reroute the whole line and put the feed (main oil line) on the other side of the turbo and do away with the 45/90 degree or so fitting. I had a small leak on mine as well, and after retighening it, it stopped for a bit, then started back. I bought another new fitting and applied high heat black OEM Toyota silicone around the edges and threads to assure that oil doesn't leak again. So far no problems. My solution might have been a temporary fix, but it hasn't leaked in over six months.
Old 03-19-14, 01:18 PM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BenStoked
you don't need to drain the oil, that line should not be under pressure with the engine off; Any residual pressure from running will be immediately released through the turbo into the drain.
you will probably dribble a little oil everywhere from what's left. A can of brake cleaner and a rag will take care of that.
oh, and be careful if you didn't perform the swap, there may be a little restrictor in there somewhere.

In my opinion, though, that set up looks weird; an adapter, another adapter, then a fitting. I may be wrong, though,.
thanks for the input man. how would you set it up? just a fitting?

Originally Posted by 6SOARER
Nice single in the GTE, where in Cali are you from?

Yea, just like Ben explained. There shouldn't be any pressure from that turbo feed with the engine off. You can try to tighten it but don't overdue it. If that doesn't work out, get a 90* elbow fitting, I know a good place in Ontario in the IE that makes aircraft fittings, if you want there number lemme know.

And welcome to the CL.
socal 626 area! and yeah id like the number of the place to get the fitting

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
IMO, I would reroute the whole line and put the feed (main oil line) on the other side of the turbo and do away with the 45/90 degree or so fitting. I had a small leak on mine as well, and after retighening it, it stopped for a bit, then started back. I bought another new fitting and applied high heat black OEM Toyota silicone around the edges and threads to assure that oil doesn't leak again. So far no problems. My solution might have been a temporary fix, but it hasn't leaked in over six months.
can i get that black teflon tape at any toyota dealer?
Old 03-19-14, 01:46 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Its not teflon tape. Its the OEM black silicone that can be bought over the counter. Just ask for it. It is used for seals, and gaskets. Works great!!
Old 03-19-14, 01:47 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

If you buy this and apply it and it still leaks, you might want to buy a new fitting and or housing on the back side of the turbo. That might be cracked.
Old 03-19-14, 01:50 PM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Its not teflon tape. Its the OEM black silicone that can be bought over the counter. Just ask for it. It is used for seals, and gaskets. Works great!!
I see . Thanks! Do I use that to tape up the thread like teflon tape?

Whats the cost for the silicone? I'll stop by after school.
Old 03-19-14, 01:57 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Don't use Teflon, want hold, due to heat. The cost is a round 13-15 bucks for a full tube. Will last a long time.
Old 03-19-14, 02:36 PM
maaaaackle
Driver School Candidate

Okay will do. Thanks again