SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

That good clean feeling! And a throttle body question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-14, 06:58 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default That good clean feeling! And a throttle body question.

Today I decided to tackle my valve cover gaskets and really get the engine bay clean. I've developed a mild leak on both sides in the last two years the car's been sitting, so there's a moderate amount of oil build up.

Usually my engine is immaculate, but I've neglected it since I stopped driving the car regularly. For reference sake, here is the engine as of this morning before tear down:

Not terrible, but there's grit everywhere. Not up to my standard.

So I got the passenger side valve cover off. This is what I was dealing with:

I got it cleaned up and left for the parts store to buy some hoses to replace some broken ones in my bay. I figured since I went through the trouble of pulling everything off, and I'm on a new pursuit for perfection with my car, I went ahead and decided to repaint them. Shortly after, I ended up with a passenger valve cover and MAF housing that look absolutely perfect and new:

I cleaned the throttle body as well. Both butterfly valve and the inner cylinder. No pics, but it was nasty. I also did the intake plenum side as well. Luckily, it all came out lovely.

While playing with the TB, I noticed how much play was in there. See the video, let me know if this is normal.

Thoughts?
Old 03-08-14, 08:44 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Won't the play/slack just get taken up by the throttle cable? Not really familiar with the 400 bay.

Nice work on the cover/maf, what paint did you use?
Old 03-08-14, 09:13 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

looks great man ,,,,id like to see it installed
Old 03-08-14, 09:14 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by 187
Won't the play/slack just get taken up by the throttle cable? Not really familiar with the 400 bay.

Nice work on the cover/maf, what paint did you use?
I guess that could be the case. I didn't take note of it when I was taking everything apart. The one wire was an absolute ***** to get out.

I used Duplicolor engine paint with ceramic. Something you can get an any parts store. I used Gunk heavy duty gel to get the big oil and crud off, and a strong mix of Purple Power to get the top and bottom sides of the valve cover. I used hot air to dry everything out (you don't want water turning around in the valves) and hit it three even coats of primer, three even coats of 'aluminum' color paint.

I've spray painted parts in the past and used clear, but never really like the finish with it. Without clear, I think the 'aluminum' paint looks like a perfectly new piece of engine trim. I'll reinstall the cover tomorrow and do the driver's side. Should be much easier/faster since I won't have to deal with the throttle body.

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
looks great man ,,,,id like to see it installed
Thanks. It's kind of a shame it's going to get 90% covered up by the intake throttle body, and engine covers.

Last edited by MongooseGA; 03-08-14 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-08-14, 11:48 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great and i think that play is normal
Old 03-08-14, 11:49 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Really considering pulling the intake plenum to refinish it also. How much of a pain in the *** is it at this point to get it off as well?
Old 03-09-14, 12:30 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A little more work lol but if its not your daily then might as well do it
Old 03-09-14, 12:43 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

She is my daily. I have my 911 to drive, but I'd rather keep that garaged until the Spring. If it's something I can get done in a day, in addition to the driver's valve cover and gasket, I may just do it.

I've been looking for a DIY for pulling the plenum but haven't found it. Anyone know of one?
Old 03-09-14, 08:51 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The look of some painted pieces, is a work of art. Just goes to show a little effort can change the look of an engine bay.
Old 03-09-14, 09:49 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. I'd sell my soul again for a nonTRAc setup, darn second tps is a pita to set. You guys without are jus lucky
Old 03-09-14, 02:33 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

I do have TRAC. It's not too terrible. It was a little more involved than I would have cared to do, but now that I've gotten it all apart, it's not so bad.

I got to the driver's valve cover today.

Not too bad for 20 years and 103,000 miles old.

Valve cover before:

Valve cover after. I bought a new PCV valve, but the shop gave me the wrong one. I'll have to return it and grab one from the dealer.

Completed intake assembly, with fresh MAF housing. Still need to clean and condition all of the plastics in the bay.

Old 03-11-14, 05:27 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Did the plastics last night. I never understood why the driver's side of the plastic was painted to match the aluminum of the valve cover, but the passenger's side was not.

So, I remedied that and now they match beautifully.

I'll probably not get to my intake plenum until this weekend. I put an order in for the gasket and it won't be in until later in the week anyway. Then all the exposed aluminum in the bay will match like new again and I'll have the cleanest intake in all the land.
Old 04-02-14, 04:15 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

And DONE!

The glare on the plenum is from the freshly polished lines. They were getting dull, so I sanded and buffed the crap out of them. Much nicer, I think.

I really wanted to refinish the throttle body, but I wasn't interested in removing all of the accessories from it and losing pieces along the way. I'd also just spent about 30 minutes setting my TPS perfectly with feeler gauges and meter. Wasn't wanting to do that again. I do need new emblems for the top of the plenum now as well.

Last edited by MongooseGA; 04-02-14 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-02-14, 05:38 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you clean everything with ?
Old 04-03-14, 08:00 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

The plenum was submerged in a 50/50 pinesol/water mix for a few days. It's great at cleaning engine parts.

Once everything was assembled again, I used GUNK gel on the bottom of the engine to get at the oil residue build up from my valve cover leak, and a degreaser for the rest of the engine. Small brushes for cracks and crevices, and a strong stream of water from an everyday firehose nozzle. at the end of my garden hose.

I put a rubber glove over the throttle body because I removed the intake to clean underneath of it. Covered the MAF sensor in tape, and wrapped my driver's side ignition coil with a rubber glove and tape.

Quick Reply: That good clean feeling! And a throttle body question.