SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1993 Lexus SC400 stereo problem

Old 03-05-14, 12:07 PM
landonchi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Lexus SC400 stereo problem

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but I've visited before. Anyway, as I was driving this morning, I had my iPod plugged in to the cassette auxiliary cable, just like how I always play my music. As I stepped on the gas and sped up, the music just shut off. My iPod was still playing, but there was no music playing. I suspected that it was the cable's fault, but when I switched to radio, the antenna came up, but still no music was playing. I tried restarting the engine, ejecting the cassette tape, and even waiting a few hours. There is still no sound at all, does this sound like a recognizable problem for this model of the SC? Thank you
Old 03-05-14, 12:32 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Odd issue, I've never actually heard of this one.

It's worth a shot to check out your fuse box
Old 03-05-14, 01:26 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a new one on me too. If the radio has power, lights up, seems to be working properly, but zero sound out of any of the speakers, probably the amp either failed or came loose or something. It's been a long time since I pulled the system out of my car but I think the amp was under the changer in the trunk. check one of the how to audio threads for more details on how to access it. put a voltmeter on one of the rear deck speakers (easiest to get to) and see if there's any voltage there with the radio playing. if not, work your way back to the amp and probe looking for voltage. i suspect you'll find voltage on the input side but nothing on the output.

and of course check the fuses too as suggested already, that's a quick easy step not to be overlooked.
Old 03-05-14, 01:38 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea check that amp out, when I got my 92 there was a little water puddle splashing around....ridiculous
Old 03-05-14, 02:20 PM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes but if a amp goes out it starts to thump
maybe the mute thingy for the telephone ?

offtopic Biddles , i have a little water there too , any idea what causes that ?
Old 03-05-14, 02:29 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Leaking seal around trunk liner or the two vent holes on each side of the car in the trunk, under the black plastic boxes.
Old 03-05-14, 07:00 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Water issue in the trunk I had, too. But for me the sunroof drain tube that empties out the rear ended up emptying into that valley. Everytime the water swoosh around, it got on the wires and my sounds are gone.

Far right side in the trunk, unbolt the amp, look down in that valley behind the wheel well.
Old 03-05-14, 07:01 PM
landonchi
Driver School Candidate

The radio lights up and everything. I can change radio stations and all that. But there is no sound that plays at all. Is the amp located under the CD changer in the trunk? I might be because of rain since California had large rainfall over the weekend
Old 03-06-14, 08:07 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty sure your speakers have blown, hopeful it's only the rear speakers due age/sun/stock. When my sound went out it turned out to be the rear speakers causing the front door speakers to not work.
Link to get to amp. http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/...40092_00CD.htm

Here are my steps (post 2) for the rear speakers.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-sound-system/

Steps for the front speakers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...tml#post802171

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 03-06-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-10-14, 08:30 AM
nawafpower
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
Pretty sure your speakers have blown, hopeful it's only the rear speakers due age/sun/stock. When my sound went out it turned out to be the rear speakers causing the front door speakers to not work.
Link to get to amp. http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/...40092_00CD.htm

Here are my steps (post 2) for the rear speakers.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...-sound-system/

Steps for the front speakers.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...tml#post802171
Teal,
I have the exact same problem, my rear speakers were not working, only the woofer and the front, I replaced the rear, and the front door speakers quit working, only the small twitters close to side mirrors are working along with all rear speakers, do you or anyone have a clue what happened? does the speakers polarity have anything to do with this since I didn't pay any attention to that when replacing rear speakers. please help

Last edited by nawafpower; 06-11-14 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-22-14, 07:35 PM
merikey
Driver School Candidate

I actually just had this problem start today. I was driving down south in Washington for a quick errand. Stereo was working perfectly. I was heading home and was like *LIGHT BULB* music isnt on. Thought i had it on mute or some sheyit. And I put it on RADIO, TAPE. CD. And get no audio. If i turn it ALLLLLLLL the way up. I can hear the music almost as if the stereo was turned all the way down.

Car
1992 SC400
Old 10-23-14, 07:32 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nawafpower
Teal,
I have the exact same problem, my rear speakers were not working, only the woofer and the front, I replaced the rear, and the front door speakers quit working, only the small twitters close to side mirrors are working along with all rear speakers, do you or anyone have a clue what happened? does the speakers polarity have anything to do with this since I didn't pay any attention to that when replacing rear speakers. please help
The front speakers my have blown out as well, from age and cheaply made in the Sc. If u had a different Ohms number, from original rear speakers, it my have caused the fronts to blow?
Old 10-25-14, 04:03 PM
v8kaiju
Driver School Candidate

my 95 does this and I was about to start lurking for answers. it went out again on me yesterday on an easy right hand corner then came back for a second when I took a left a few minutes later, then went out again.

I highly doubt my speakers are blown as they've been fantastic up until this point and all 7 wont blow at the exact same time. I'll check for water in the boot when I get a chance, its been rainy as hell lately in New England.
Old 11-01-14, 11:29 PM
J.ApanaIs3
Driver School Candidate

If you want I actually have a full set of speakers stereo amp cd changer etc to complete a nakamichi system if thats what you have. Im asking $250 guy I bought an sc400 from had it since new in 94 and took it out in maybe 2000 and the whole system has been in a dry heated storage he changed out for a new head unit and pioneer speakers. lmk if you are interested. I am in seattle! can pm pics also
Old 11-03-14, 06:57 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Water in the right rear Qtr panel where amp is located(under CD player) may very well be caused by drain hose for gas door coming off or cracked. It runs from metal tube to rubber nipple in bottom of QTR PNL, they shrink in the heat & pull off. Amp is always constant power & will blow the whole circuit board or just part of it which may be why you have partial speakers. If amp blows all together it will blow the fuse for the whole system & keep blowing it till you replace amp. I moved my amp up into trunk as Lexus did a bad thing by putting it there.