Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Will our cars ever become valuable as "classics?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 02:01 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Our cars value decreased because we all choosed to sell it for CHEAP! If everyone kept their prices at a good level, we wouldnt be where the cars are selling for now...

...3-4 years ago stock SCs were all around 6-9k.

I sold my SC last month for $20k.. I stuck with my pricing.. just saying....
I don't think we brought the price of the SC down. SCs are worth what the market will bear.

First of all, your car is an exceptional example and I have nothing but respect for your build. With that said, 20k is far from the norm. I would venture a guess that you sold 20k worth of mods and let the "car" go for free.

I am glad you were able to get what you did for your car, but there will ALWAYS be someone who will pay well above market value for something if it is exactly what they want.
Old 02-15-12, 02:11 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Maybe the value is so low because 8/10 SCs are beat to hell, no maintenance and look like a big POS? Just a suggestion....

People keep bringing up Supras every time we get one of these discussions... well hello, Supras that bring in the big bucks are either extremely clean with low mileage bone stock 2jzgte/v160 or modified with very expensive parts.

The driveline definitely without question plays a huge role in the higher value of the stock or modified Supras.

Now compare the condition of the average Supra and the condition of an average SC. I guarantee you it's going to be a huge difference. It's exactly why the gentleman sold his SC for $20k... because it had a desirable trivetrain and it was in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition. It's really rare to see nowadays with the SCs. People rush too much, buy beat up cars for a grand hoping to make them monsters and only make them worse.
Old 02-15-12, 02:20 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

SC's and the word 'classic' shouln't be in a same sentence at least for another 20 years.
Old 02-15-12, 03:28 PM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
who really cares.... never understood why people would buy a car, spend thousands modifying it with hopes and dreams of making some kind of return... those guys need to buy stocks, not an sc if they want to have any chance at a gain.
I think theres general knowledge that all cars are bad investments. Even new cars will lose value as soon as you drive it off the lot. I dont think we expect a gain on it, just not a major huge depreciation that continue to fall as people cycle thru this model car vs other cars that are hovering around a fixed value as the years continue. The enjoyment of working on a car and the fun I had in it was worth it for me then the lost I took from selling it (which was little).

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I don't think we brought the price of the SC down. SCs are worth what the market will bear.

First of all, your car is an exceptional example and I have nothing but respect for your build. With that said, 20k is far from the norm. I would venture a guess that you sold 20k worth of mods and let the "car" go for free.

I am glad you were able to get what you did for your car, but there will ALWAYS be someone who will pay well above market value for something if it is exactly what they want.
Part of the reason I decided to let my car go for was because the value of these cars were falling so fast in the past years. 240sx status . It was worth it to collect as much as I could now, before the value went down even more. People buying the car for cheap but cant spend the money to mod it, and tossing it away when they find out how much replacement parts/mods/gas are.

I love SCs to death. I think thats why im still around on this forum as well. This model car has been my favorite car I have ever owned. (Been thru 3 SCs!!! , mr2, 240x, rx7, integras, civics, is300 etc etc). Im already planning my next one just more budget friendly.

I just wish there were alot more people that took care of their SCs (like supra owners take care of their supras) as we do/did it will help SCs to stop getting destroyed with younger kids thinking its a cheap sports car to mod, and looking like crap.

Last edited by eliteskill; 02-15-12 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 03:46 PM
1JAllDay
Driver

I will say the SC is one of the very very few cars that if swapped with a 2j or even 1j increases in value. im not sure whether that is due to being sold to other enthusiasts who know what it is but i think it is something to consider.
Old 02-15-12, 03:57 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I just wish there were alot more people that took care of their SCs (like supra owners take care of their supras) as we do/did it will help SCs to stop getting destroyed with younger kids thinking its a cheap sports car to mod, and looking like crap.
That sums it up perfectly. When you compare how an average SC is modded to how the majority of Supras are modded, you will see why SC values are so low. People just buy up SCs because they were told they have Supra engines and throw on a $1000 ebay turbo kit. Then they realize theres alot more involved in modifying a turbo car and it's not cheap to do properly. So they sell those cars very cheap.
Old 02-15-12, 04:22 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That sums it up perfectly. When you compare how an average SC is modded to how the majority of Supras are modded, you will see why SC values are so low. People just buy up SCs because they were told they have Supra engines and throw on a $1000 ebay turbo kit. Then they realize theres alot more involved in modifying a turbo car and it's not cheap to do properly. So they sell those cars very cheap.
You're also not going to see very many Supra owners make 'VIP' mods with ridiculously stupid looking amounts of camber, cheap wheels, and knock-off body kits, among other things.
Old 02-15-12, 07:01 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Your logic is incredibly flawed, and you really don't understand how car depreciation works. Nor do you understand supply and demand. Why would anyone pay marked up, inflated prices that we try to create when they could just as easily go on Craigslist and get one for much, much cheaper?

The only people that want an SC these days are enthusiasts who actually know, and care about the car and its history. Or, there's the people that see a beat up SC advertised for $4000 or less, and buy it thinking it's a 'poor man's Supra', or whatever, which only serves to drive the value of the SC even further downward. Besides that, nobody wants a 20 year old, outdated, luxury car that's just going to eat away their money as they try to keep it running.

Then there's the issue of production numbers. Your logic MIGHT work if the SC had much lower production numbers, but as it stands, there's plenty of SCs out there. I admit that the number of CLEAN SCs is becoming fewer and farther between, but most people simply don't care about having a clean SC anymore.
You have managed to prove my point and contradict yourself all in the same post... Here are the facts once again. SC's are no longer in production... Every year the supply becomes more and more limited.. I agree that they're many SC's in the market. However, you eluded to fact that "the number of CLEAN SC's are becoming fewer and farther between".. You also accepted the reality that "the only people that want an SC these days are enthusiasts who actually know, and care about the car and history". So lets review, Supply (clean SC's) is becoming "fewer and father between", and the demand (enthusiasts who actually know, and care about the car and history).. So the point is that each and everyone of us should do our best to treat our cars as the "classic" that they are and the much "cheaper", "throw away" SC's will eventually find their way to the scrap heap/junk yard. Leaving only the "clean SC's".. The "enthusiasts" will come and find us with a fist full of money...
Old 02-15-12, 07:17 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Our cars value decreased because we all choosed to sell it for CHEAP! If everyone kept their prices at a good level, we wouldnt be where the cars are selling for now.

Look at the AE86 I wouldnt pay over $500 for one.. but there still around 4k. If i wanted to badly enuff I would buy one @ 4k. Civic EG and EKs are the same as well. A clean one stock will be still around 4-5k. Why are our stock SCs selling at 2-3k?

Everyone kept undercutting each other or needed money badly and started to sell it for lower and lower and lower in this hurt economy. Stop selling our cars for 2k.. thats why they are known for being cheap cars, but they are EXPENSIVE to mod. When the kid that thought he bought a DEAL! 2k SC! started to figure out it took another 10k to make it RESTORED, FAST or look like SEX. He turned it around and sold it for 1k at a lost because he needed money FAST because he knew he picked up the wrong car and wanted something cheap to mod.

3-4 years ago stock SCs were all around 6-9k.

I sold my SC last month for $20k.. I stuck with my pricing.. just saying....
^^ This.

^^ And definitely this.

I enjoy my car now as it is. I've done a lot to bring its performance up to speed and restore it and I don't plan to stop until I've worked out every kink in the works, which I am pretty close to doing. And then I'll enjoy it some more until I get another car. If and when I let it go it will definitely not be for $2k.

I am not at all surprised that Eliteskill's car sold for $20k. That's pretty much what it would take to get any of these cars to the point it was at (read: properly done full USDM GTE & V160 swap in an SC that isn't ragged). That's in the middle range of what I'd expect to pay for a similar example. Why? Because when you add up the costs yourself it is hard to do THAT style of swap for less.
Old 02-15-12, 08:47 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im just excited to put "Classic" Plates on the SC....

No more emissions and inspection means I can do whatever the hell I want to it and it be street legal!!!
Old 02-16-12, 12:04 AM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpecialK47
SC's are sports cars are they not?
Negative ghost rider. The SC is a sport coupe, which means it has a back seat. Sports car means its aonly a 2 seater. So yes, the Toyota MR2 and Supra are sports cars while the Toyota Soarer and Celica are sport coupes.

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
Im just excited to put "Classic" Plates on the SC....

No more emissions and inspection means I can do whatever the hell I want to it and it be street legal!!!
^^^This
Also, registration and insurance will plummet (in the state of Colorado). I found out about 2 weeks ago that my registration is only gonna be $15 next year for my 93 as opposed to $90.
Old 02-16-12, 12:49 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Never heard of a sports car only being a two seater. Guess that means camaros, mustangs, etc. aren't sports cars....
Old 02-16-12, 01:40 AM
Arkansas
Pole Position

Got 5 more years till its an antique here in arkansas. Gotta be basically unmodified also
Old 02-16-12, 04:37 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecialK47
Never heard of a sports car only being a two seater. Guess that means camaros, mustangs, etc. aren't sports cars....
That's right. They are pony cars
Old 02-16-12, 04:57 AM
leonsup
Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
That's right. They are pony cars
+1. You can also call them SPORTY cars, but if it's got a back seat, it's not a sports car.

Quick Reply: Will our cars ever become valuable as "classics?"