Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Will our cars ever become valuable as "classics?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 10:53 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I voted "no"...

Being a US original buyer of a '92 SC300 it was never the intention that this may become a "classic" as Camaros, Mustangs, Road Runners, etc seem to have achieved.

Can not see how a stock, original SC will be worth a lot in 10-20 years. And, even when a lot of the members poor money and their time into remodeling and rebuilding these cars it is rare that the investment is ever fully recovered.

These are great and wonderful cars; especially for me seeing what members have shared that inspired the rebuild that I have had done over the past 2 years. I am not a DIYer but am fortunate to be able to afford to pay others. I never ever thought for a second (based on all these threads) that the money put into the car would ever be recovered in a sale (a sale that I hope never happens).

I am almost "done" getting it to where I want it and now will enjoy it for as long as I can.
Old 02-15-14, 10:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I also think that if people keep trashing SC's it will only make the cleaner ones desirable. The cleans I see for sale locally tend to sell quick and for a lot of money while the crappy ones just sit for months/years without selling.

It's become extremely rare to see a clean stock SC or even a decent modded SC out here.
Old 02-17-14, 02:29 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's going to depend largely on how the auto industry progresses in the upcoming years. Lemme 'splain before the attacks start.

A number of current automakers are still going the route of the econoboxes, or even worse the blatant copies. Statistics also show a marked decrease in the number of kids getting their licenses as teens. A number of factors are influencing this, but even in the Great Recession deals can be had for those willing to look.

I for one didn't buy it to be a classic, I bought it to enjoy. I saw too many Ferraris and Porsches cowering in the garage as "classics", and that aggravates the crap outta me. Exotics were meant to inspire and admire, and it's hard to truly appreciate a great piece of automotive engineering from Google Images. I don't care how good it looks.

It's funny, though. I've taken my SC to Caffeine and Octane before, and had owners of expensive exotics comment on how they remember having one and enjoying it. Never mind that mine needs a respray and a little body work, or that I parked it with the other cars and snotboxes (Prius) in the main lot.

If the definition of a classic is a machine that is admired and evokes memories of happier times, I'd say we already reached that status years ago.

I am from the future, and I approved this message. Vote for me and my clone family. Wait, that's the Romney thing from a few years ago. Nevermind.

Last edited by brerrabbit; 02-17-14 at 02:31 PM. Reason: ...
Old 03-13-23, 05:09 PM
fdylan
5th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default I think so!

This video explains why

The following 6 users liked this post by fdylan:
Barbary (03-13-23), Bimmerbill (03-14-23), bron_karr (03-14-23), KahnBB6 (03-14-23), Kira X (03-24-23), RudysSC (03-16-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-13-23, 06:53 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 482 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by fdylan
This video explains why

https://youtu.be/sBWTr2Mpn8U
Quote "Never have I driven any car that receives so many compliments from complete strangers as the SC 400"

I can't agree more! Since I first got mine, so many years ago until today. From teeny boppers to grandmothers (grandmothers driving these cars used to be a common sight)
from hillbillies to gang bangers and everything in between, every color, every race.
My jaw dropped the first time and am still amazed every time, I have learned to answer politely.
I'm serious, I have driven the car through out the West, all over, not only one area. Driven it as a Gran Tourer

Folks just can't help themselves...they mention the color of my car often (a shade of purple)
The following 2 users liked this post by Barbary:
Kira X (03-24-23), RudysSC (03-16-23)
Old 03-16-23, 06:47 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

I'm lucky to say I have the same experience as Joe - and every year it seems like my car gets loads more attention when I drive it around town. You hardly see them here in Denver too often, but I can tell that as they age people not only remember them in their prime but are caught off guard at how truly different it is from other cars on the road. My car is FAR from perfect (I call it a ten footer lol) but the compliments it receives around town from people of all walks of life ALWAYS puts a smile on my face. Value wise, who knows. I will say, if something ever happened to my car, I'd have no problem paying good money for a nice example SC that's been well cared for. My car is 31 years old and still feels like an absolute tank.
The following 4 users liked this post by RudysSC:
Barbary (03-16-23), KahnBB6 (03-16-23), Kira X (03-24-23), Supra Dr (03-16-23)
Old 03-23-23, 07:01 PM
Barbary
Instructor

Received 482 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I've discussed this several times over the years but the bottom line is that nobody is going to buy a non collectible car for any more than the average price. It just isn't COLLECTIBLE. It is however antique. Values will not go up on a car most people could care less about. You have to be an enthusiast or an old lady to want one if you look at the owners of them. If you try to sell me your 1992 SC for $4500 I'll go to the 1997 beside it and buy it for $4500.
Well, Well
Old 03-24-23, 08:54 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A recent article on value...
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...s-sc300-sc400/
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (03-24-23)
Old 03-24-23, 02:34 PM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Classic ...but Classic Asian

These cars will become valuable classics but Asian cars don't yet compete with American, German, or Italian cars in the classic market. Think about the Datsun Z cars. They are certified classics but they're not regarded the same as a similar aged Porsche for instance. The first gen SC, LS, GS cars were ground breaking for an Asian car make in several ways;
  1. The amount of research and develop that went into them. Really crazy money.
  2. The launch of Toyota's flagship line meant to compete with European semi-exotic cars
  3. The rarity of SC's in particular.
  4. A lot of SC owners significantly modify their cars. Its getting harder to find ones that are in original condition
  5. The timeless beauty and style of these cars. They were show stoppers in the 90's and they have aged well
Kira X (03-24-23)
Old 03-24-23, 08:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Originally Posted by fdylan
This video explains why

https://youtu.be/sBWTr2Mpn8U
That looks like OLT’s old SC in the thumbnail.
Old 03-24-23, 08:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

The value of these cars and Soarers seems to be going up. I’ve seen most nicer SC’s sell without too much trouble around here. It seems like people are noticing and raising the prices of their blown out, busted SC’s. It’s something I’ve noticed a lot in the past year. Soarers seem to be getting more expensive but many are in far better condition than the average SC anyway.

This is happening to the late 90’s LS400’s and the second generation GS’ too. In the GS’ case, they’re easier to find but most are wrecked and in horrible condition but priced high because 2JZ. Most of the cars sit for months before/if they sell too. See it a lot with the original IS300’s too.

The early Lexus’ are all classics and clean examples will definitely go up in value. It’s crazy how many young guys are interested in my SC when I bring it out now. It got a lot of attention back in the day but it’s different now. A lot more people know about these cars and they seem to be stepping out of the Supra’s shadow.
KahnBB6 (03-25-23)
Old 03-27-23, 06:20 AM
EPayne42
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
The value of these cars and Soarers seems to be going up. I’ve seen most nicer SC’s sell without too much trouble around here. It seems like people are noticing and raising the prices of their blown out, busted SC’s. It’s something I’ve noticed a lot in the past year. Soarers seem to be getting more expensive but many are in far better condition than the average SC anyway.

This is happening to the late 90’s LS400’s and the second generation GS’ too. In the GS’ case, they’re easier to find but most are wrecked and in horrible condition but priced high because 2JZ. Most of the cars sit for months before/if they sell too. See it a lot with the original IS300’s too.

The early Lexus’ are all classics and clean examples will definitely go up in value. It’s crazy how many young guys are interested in my SC when I bring it out now. It got a lot of attention back in the day but it’s different now. A lot more people know about these cars and they seem to be stepping out of the Supra’s shadow.
Agree. I see a good bit of current owners saying they wouldn't buy an SC for more than $5000. They laugh when they see these cars listed for sale at $15,000 or more. Based on what I see online in User Forums, it sure seems like a lot of these cars are beat up or they're heavily modified and abused. It will get harder and harder to fine clean, well maintained SC's that are stock. I'm doing some mild modifications, but am saving the OEM parts.
The following 3 users liked this post by EPayne42:
KahnBB6 (03-27-23), Kira X (03-27-23), ThomasGS4 (03-27-23)
Old 03-27-23, 07:46 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Talking

Originally Posted by EPayne42
Agree. I see a good bit of current owners saying they wouldn't buy an SC for more than $5000. They laugh when they see these cars listed for sale at $15,000 or more. Based on what I see online in User Forums, it sure seems like a lot of these cars are beat up or they're heavily modified and abused. It will get harder and harder to fine clean, well maintained SC's that are stock. I'm doing some mild modifications, but am saving the OEM parts.
That’s a wise choice to save your OEM parts. There’s some expensive SC’s that are stock or lightly modded and sell at these high prices. It makes sense because I wouldn’t touch 75% of the SC’s I see for sale and would be willing to spend more to get something nicer.

I wouldn’t spend more than $10,000 personally unless it was really low miles, Royal Sapphire Pearl, GTE/LS swap, NA-T, or a 5-speed 1997 SC300. These cars are way too expensive to maintain to be buying a busted $1,000 SC and trying to nice. RHD cars definitely aren’t for everyone but I want a really clean stock Soarer someday, assuming they don’t become out of reach like the Supra did. Then it’s on to the LC500 or RC-F if it does happen.

Quick Reply: Will our cars ever become valuable as "classics?"