New Guy and old Sc400

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 03:29 PM
Loonatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy and old Sc400

Hello people.
I am a new guy and have learned alot from your past discussions and through the search feature.
I live in socal and have decided to bring my 1993 Sc 400 to TM engineering next week for some love.
My car is bone stock and has 105K miles. I ride sportbikes for kicks so i have avoided throwing piles of $$$ at the car so far.
Anyway, past threads have been very insightful but i still have a few questions.
I thought i would post them all here instead of Pm'ing you all to death so here goes.

1) I am changing the stock and tired struts to the blue Tokico's.
Todd at TM says that stock rear springa are notorious for sagging also and that i should change them if they are tired. They are.
Someone, Antonio i think, posted that with the Eibach's and blue Tokico's, the car drive not so well. I would prefer a stock ride as i have a bicycle hitch\receiver rack on and i need the ground clearance. Should i consider new OEM Lexus springs or go with the Eibach's or another aftermarket low drop (1") spring. People here have mentioned that the Eibach's don''t look like it drops the car although it does by 1"so i like that. I just want a plush but not too soft factory type ride. Anyone have some low milage stock springs or is that a bad idea?

2) The list of things to tighten due to clunky noises from the suspension\control arms seems to include : tighten the cross member nuts, tighten or replace endlinks, tighten some retaining nut on support on the rear of the car that Hermosa mentioned but i don't know what he is referencing to.
Does anyone know about that and am i missing something else?

Oh, Todd at TM mentioned that they are working on a replacement bushing kit for the rear of the car (control arms i mean not the already available sway bar bushings).

Thankyou in advance,
LOOnatic
Old 01-28-03, 06:26 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Loonatic,

Todd probably has the best answers for you. However, the tokico and eibachs will be a good setup for you. Most people are really happy with that.

MW
Old 01-28-03, 08:02 PM
Loonatic
Driver School Candidate

Right on, Thanks..
Old 02-04-03, 06:18 PM
joeyc2
Lead Lap

i have eibach and tokico, i've had them on for about two months and am considering to sell them, i would like my car to be a little lower.
Old 02-05-03, 10:37 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I would personally go with eibach/tokico setup, although its not lower in apearance there is a big performance gain. The 'rough ride' should be that bad. I will see if I can find a write up on it, someone did a very nice one.
Old 02-05-03, 10:40 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=tokico

There you go, some good info

Lots of people go with the Supra Eibach setup, but some people say it will cause abnormal wearing of the tires... so I personally will stay away. Best of luck, I need to replace my suspension soon too. Let us know how you like your new setup.
Old 02-05-03, 11:14 AM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Phoenix88
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=tokico

There you go, some good info

Lots of people go with the Supra Eibach setup, but some people say it will cause abnormal wearing of the tires... so I personally will stay away. Best of luck, I need to replace my suspension soon too. Let us know how you like your new setup.
I have Supra NA setup, and it sure looks awsome. So much better than sc's 1 inch drop. Yes, I realize some have brought up the possibility of serious uneven tire wear... but haven't seen the evidence of many people actually experiencing this problem. Anybody out there with serious uneven tread wear?
Old 02-05-03, 01:07 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Chrono,

There are several threads about uneven tire wear as a result of lowering the car past the align-able limit of the SC's supension system. You can do a search on 'alignment' and find several discussions. Hopefully soon a vendor can develop a camber kit for the SC that would allow for 1-3degrees of movement either with new upper arm bolts, or modified lower stock camber bolts.

The fact that you have not seen any abnormal tire wear isnt a surprise. Most people do not notice until the inner tread is bald. You can however use a depth gauge or any other instrument and test the inner tread to the outer tread on your rear wheels. You will be surprised after just 4k miles or so.

MW