SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need some opinions on a tough decision..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 08:48 PM
Taken
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to go see the car today. It's been sitting in a lot for several months, and the mechanics couldn't get it to start. The car cranked, but that's it. They tried changing the battery and nothing would happen when you'd turn the key. Thoughts? Anyway, I told them to give me a call tomorrow if they can get the car to start.

...right now, I'm leaning more towards just doing the 5-speed swap on my car.
Old 12-27-13, 09:11 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You live in fl. This means you can swap your car and pull the bulb for the CEL. I say butcher the 99!
Old 12-27-13, 10:12 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep the current and hold tight keep stacking and strike later
Old 12-28-13, 05:06 PM
Taken
Rookie

So, I never got that call today..guess they couldn't get the car to start.

Originally Posted by stockhatch
You live in fl. This means you can swap your car and pull the bulb for the CEL. I say butcher the 99!
I'ma try to avoid pulling the bulb and solve the issue using cartmills thread ...
But lol yup, I'm definitely doing that swap now!

...in a few months once I have the rest of the funds accumulated.

Old 12-28-13, 09:47 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good call definitely keep the low miles 99 and do the 5spd swap but done right.... it would add rarity and value imo
Old 12-29-13, 05:58 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Why don't you enlighten us then. According to a number of obd2 swap threads this method got rid of most of them.
You wanna have a bunch of solenoids ziptied up under the car, then good for you. When you understand swaps better, we can have this conversation, but that's only after you fully understand instead of regurgitating info that you read half heartedly on the Internet that may or may not be correct in the first place.

OP: if all you want is a 5spd na vvti car, I'd look into using a manual IS ecu. I'm not saying there's not a 5spd vvti na supra, but I've never seen one so that's gonna be a long shot but, though if available, would be the best option.

Manual IS ecu will take a bit of wiring but is totally do-able.

Either way, an na/vvti car is still meh at best. To me the whole entire thing is a waste of time and money. These cars, to me, aren't worth a **** if they aren't turbo swapped. Heavy, ****ty fuel economy, handle like **** stock. Best I can say about them is its comfortable with new leather, and is roomy for the front passengers.

Long story short, if you want a non turbo 5spd sc and aren't goin to do the work of a swap yourself, buy the 97.
Old 12-29-13, 06:49 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Keep the 99 and buy the 97 5 speed and have the best of both worlds. Since they are having problems getting it to start use that to negoitiate a much lower price. That's what I would do.
Old 12-29-13, 07:29 AM
Taken
Rookie

Originally Posted by Vrank
You wanna have a bunch of solenoids ziptied up under the car, then good for you. When you understand swaps better, we can have this conversation, but that's only after you fully understand instead of regurgitating info that you read half heartedly on the Internet that may or may not be correct in the first place.

OP: if all you want is a 5spd na vvti car, I'd look into using a manual IS ecu. I'm not saying there's not a 5spd vvti na supra, but I've never seen one so that's gonna be a long shot but, though if available, would be the best option.

Manual IS ecu will take a bit of wiring but is totally do-able.

Either way, an na/vvti car is still meh at best. To me the whole entire thing is a waste of time and money. These cars, to me, aren't worth a **** if they aren't turbo swapped. Heavy, ****ty fuel economy, handle like **** stock. Best I can say about them is its comfortable with new leather, and is roomy for the front passengers.

Long story short, if you want a non turbo 5spd sc and aren't goin to do the work of a swap yourself, buy the 97.
If some members were able to solve their CEL issues through the method that scENFORCER is suggesting then it doesn't hurt to give it a try.
I've looked into using the IS manual ecu, it too may also solve the problem but until someone can come up and verify that this is the true fix, both methods seem like valid options. IMO of course.

I do want a non turbo, for the time being. But if I can find a legitimate mechanic that'll do the swap right, then that's the road I'll be taking later.

Much appreciation to everyone's suggestions
Old 12-29-13, 09:47 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you can get a friend or someone to pass you with your cel, the swap is fairly easy to do if you have the right tools. I am no way near a master mechanic and i swapped my 97 obd2 auto with no problems in my driveway.
I would save the money and just do the swap in this case.