SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sc300 foglight issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 08:27 PM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sc300 foglight issue

Im having trouble getting my foglights to work....I have replaced the relay, changed the fuse and the lights will not come on. Can anyone help...Nes...

Last edited by Nes; 12-18-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-18-13, 08:58 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Post it in the SC section to start with.

Also what year is your SC? Early cars didn't have fog lights, they were cornering lights. Turn on the turn signal and the light on that side turned on, giving you a little more illumination. IMO the "cornering lights" in the SC are kind of a gimmick. The cornering lights in my old Cadillac Brougham actually did light up a good section of the side of the road. Or it might have been the headlights on that car sucked and any extra light was more easily noticed lol.
Old 12-19-13, 09:04 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Aron you beat me to it. What year is your car? I would also check the volts up to the bulb housing to see if you are getting power. It has to be something simple.
Old 12-23-13, 07:17 AM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

I apologize. Its a 96 sc300. I read somewhere in the forums, that It could be a circut interruptor from the high beams. I dont know where that is. However the fog lights should come on without the highbeams being on. As i mentioned i replaced the relay switch on the kicker panel along with a blown blue 15amp fuse. What i didnt do was check the other fuse that was next to the blown one. I will check that to see if maybe it needs to be replaced.

Another thing someone mentioned was a "red" wire that is connected to highbeams. If it is not connected that would cause the fog lights not to work. my question is "what red wire?"on the high beams. i dont see any.

Thanks....

Nes............
Old 12-23-13, 09:47 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

It's probably the switch on the stalk.
Old 12-24-13, 06:56 AM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luxor
Stalk?...Im gone guess you mean the lever inside the car where all the other light switches are?

I noticed on the stalk i can put the switch to the on position and also i noticed it has two arrows pointing left and right. Could it be that the lights are only for turning and not fog lights? I was under the impression that the 96 has fog lights and not cornering lamps like previous models.

Appreciate your feedback.

thank you

Nes
Old 12-24-13, 08:38 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked to see if the bulbs are burnt out? That could be the issue, My 95 had burnt out fog lights and it was the last thing I checked and bam they worked with a new set of bulbs.
Old 12-24-13, 09:04 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nes
Stalk?...Im gone guess you mean the lever inside the car where all the other light switches are?

I noticed on the stalk i can put the switch to the on position and also i noticed it has two arrows pointing left and right. Could it be that the lights are only for turning and not fog lights? I was under the impression that the 96 has fog lights and not cornering lamps like previous models.

Appreciate your feedback.

thank you

Nes
Correct, 1996 has fog lights. Those arrows are located to the right of the switch but not related to the on/off switch which are for fog lights.
Old 12-24-13, 09:32 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My car is older with cornering lights... They seem ridiculous im taking the bulbs out for now. It would be ok if both were on with a switch but only one during a turn signal hence "cornering lights". I got a few things to address with the car before tackling a fog light conversion on my car.

Sorry not a bit of input to ur question lol
Old 12-24-13, 06:54 PM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

I have new bulbs.........
Originally Posted by Slaker13
Have you checked to see if the bulbs are burnt out? That could be the issue, My 95 had burnt out fog lights and it was the last thing I checked and bam they worked with a new set of bulbs.
Old 12-26-13, 06:59 AM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

If you dont mind can you give a list of things that i need to recheck for the foglights not working.

Thanks.

Old 12-26-13, 04:40 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

1. Check fuse(s)
2. Check Relay(s)
3. Check bulbs
4.Check grounds
5. Check switch at stalk
Old 12-27-13, 09:58 AM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

Will do. I will repost with the outcome once im done.

TY.

Nes

1. Check fuse(s)
2. Check Relay(s)
3. Check bulbs
4.Check grounds
5. Check switch at stalk
Old 12-30-13, 05:28 AM
Nes
Driver School Candidate

1. when you say relays, i was under the impression there is only one relay for foglights. If they are others can you tell me where they are located.
2. when you say check grounds, where do i check to see if the wiring is properly connected. The wires have never been cut/spliced it is a factory connection.

I tried checking the voltage output with a circut reader, and from what i can tell there is no power coming thru to the wiring. Where should i begin to check for where the disconnect of power could be. Keep in mind that when i check to see if the lights are working I have the low beams on, i replaced the fog light relay and the fuse (are there other relays and where that i should check)

Thank You

Nes.

1. Check fuse(s)
2. Check Relay(s)
3. Check bulbs
4.Check grounds
5. Check switch at stalk
Old 12-30-13, 08:58 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Correct, there is only 1 relay for the fog light system located in the left kick panel. But there is also a headlight control relay located in the engine bay.

There are 2 grounds for the fog light system, both wires are white with a black stripe. The first ground is for the combination switch (stalk) which is located up high in the left kick panel area. The second ground is for both fog lights themselves, the ground is located at the front side of the right fender.

Quick Reply: Sc300 foglight issue