SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY for SC Cluster & Needles

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 10:41 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got a new soldering iron and much better soldering wire and flux so i will be picking up some really thin wire maybe later today and will be redoing my needles maybe today cause i do not have time this weekend. i will post a full diy on it, lots of pics for all you guys.

BTW that MBClusters video i am very glad you posted it. he sort of explains how to do it but then doesnt explain how to do the resistors so go and google LED RESISTOR CALCULATOR and you get the down low on how to wire it properly.

Last edited by xshurikx; 12-04-13 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-04-13, 05:01 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Does anyone know what guage wire I should use? I found 22 but seems as thick or even a little thicker than what I used but 24 to 30 says use for electromagnets and isnt covered in plastic but in something else like a wax. I want to redo the needles but afraid to make it worse
Old 12-04-13, 05:05 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to shop at Fry's. They have insulated wire with the diameter of less than 0.5 milimeter. Electrical stores should have that.
Old 12-05-13, 12:34 PM
xshurikx
Driver

ok so i pickedup some 26 guage wire at Frys. that is as small as you can go .4mm before it becomes magnetic use wire.
With luck i will have it early next week.
Look for the thread to be updated by this weekend with Cluster DIY and a look at the breakdown of the Climate Control. DIY to come, i need to order a screen

26awg .4x mm
24awg .5x mm
22awg .6x mm
Old 12-05-13, 01:13 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Murco
Clear resin...
the epoxy with bubbles removed is just as clear and same as the clear resin.. i say we are all better off ditching internal led needles.
does the needle oem have the resistor? if not does it actually need one since it was running leds originally? scales that measure in grains are not that expensive.. under 50 bucks, as low as 15 dollars.. replacing them with other needles like those audi ones would be dope.. i wanna see what the 1/8" shorter actually looks like on the cluster. um. going that rout it might just be easy to do the filling up the oem needle with epexy, remove the bubbles, balance, put leg under towards the middle done.. i mean lets keep this simple and efficient.. putting led in the needle or doing all new smd's thats **** that can still go wrong, a plain needle has nothing that can electronically fail..

another idea would be how about just installing a supra gauge cluster? its almost the same car, id be surprised if many if not all sensors read the same values as the sc, just different cluster wiring plugs..

or is300 gauge cluster.. that looks sexy too..
or is350, 250, is-f cause i know people have swapped those into is300.. and again is300 is very similar to sc300 so should be fairly easy.. i think first one or two would be hard once wiring and pins are matched up then its straightforward.

Last edited by Cleanshots; 12-05-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 09:15 PM
babowc
Driver

You can always find a way to wire in a cluster from a different car, but that just makes more work in terms of fabricating a bezel to fit where the original cluster was fitted.
Old 12-06-13, 11:22 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Default The DIY

Finally got around to doing some of the DIY

Moved to Front

Last edited by xshurikx; 12-06-13 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 01:02 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you post pics of the product. Turn off the flash of your camera. And when you say you can dim it, do you mean that the dimmer switch still works with this mod?
Old 12-06-13, 01:12 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Can you post pics of the product. Turn off the flash of your camera. And when you say you can dim it, do you mean that the dimmer switch still works with this mod?
You can dim it from full to the click down. its not major impact but some. you can also dim it a little more if you go down about 1/2 to 3/4. it is not the same as dimming the regular bulbs but it does have an impact. also you are looking at my pictures without the front tinted screen.
Old 12-06-13, 01:42 PM
xshurikx
Driver

Thats as low as it goes in the first
Second is on full bright
Attached Thumbnails DIY for SC Cluster & Needles-20131206_163915.jpg   DIY for SC Cluster & Needles-20131206_164145.jpg  
Old 12-06-13, 11:04 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
the epoxy with bubbles removed is just as clear and same as the clear resin.. i say we are all better off ditching internal led needles....

i wanna see what the 1/8" shorter actually looks like on the cluster. um. going that rout it might just be easy to do the filling up the oem needle with epexy, remove the bubbles, balance, put leg under towards the middle done...
Just make sure whatever you use is UV stable and clear as glass. Some epoxies can yellow over time, some resins too. I don't know that filling the OEM needle bodies will work, I think it will make them very heavy.

In reviewing pics of my old cluster the needles overlap the hash marks pretty well so I don't think the 1/8" shorter needle will be to awkward looking. Unfortunately with all the Christmas events coming up I won't be able to jump on this for at least two weeks,,,
Old 12-09-13, 03:50 PM
akora12
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great writeup!

For those with flickering back-lighting and/or needles, check your dimmer switch. The rheostat on my all-stock '96 ES300 drives my cluster crazy unless you leave it alone at full brightness.
Old 12-10-13, 05:43 AM
rocky5
Driver

thank you so much for this. should be stickied
Old 12-12-13, 07:16 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Additional Info posted on Needles and Climate Control

Needle basically remained the same i just used less solder and a thinner wire.
Improvements my RPM now reads 650 at idle and not 250
So I will still need to add counter weight
Old 12-12-13, 09:59 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it read at 250 rpm, then it's probably too heavy. 650 rpm is much better. It'll help if you have an original non-modified needle to compare to. Another thing that I remember is the needles from 92-94 have different polarity from 95 and up.

Quick Reply: DIY for SC Cluster & Needles